Writing Prompt 12: 10 minute short story | Teen Ink

Writing Prompt 12: 10 minute short story

March 8, 2019
By Anonymous

Red walked into Alison's house on a Friday evening, Only one thing was on her mind, she had questions and she wanted answers. She knew this was the place when she saw wraith enter through the front.

Red simply walked in with the door surprisingly unlocked. She called or to Alison only for silence to answer her instead. Perhaps she didn't hear or notice her, she then heard talking upstairs. She presumed it was them, so she took haste.

She went right upstairs, oblivious of the situation she put herself in. She grasped the door handle and turned it to open the door. "Alison, I need to kno-", she paused. Alison was sitting in a swiveled black office chair turned to the door. She had moved her desk from the wall to in the front of the door.

She sat there in her casual clothes with wraith standing to her right. She took a puff from the lit cigarette in her mouth. Out of all of reds friends, Alison was the last person that she would've thought that did narcotics.

"How did you find us?!" She immediately demanded. Red was urged on impulse to respond, luckily for her she remembered, "Andrew told me where I could find you." "He told me that if I wanted answers then it would've been better if I just asked you myself. So he told me where you were."

Alison chuckled somewhat sadly, she took the cigarette out of her mouth and put it on the ashtray on her desk. "Guess he does have a soft spot for you after all then.". Red noticed that wraith had a rather concerned look, yet he spoke calmly to Alison regardless. "Guess it was only a matter of time before people like her find out the truth." He sighs "Figures, we already ran out of rope, no use trying to hide now." He puts his hand on Alison's shoulder, Alison looks at him, "Its time Alison.".

Red looked confused at this point, "Time for what? What's that supposed to mean?.". They both looked at red silently, Red was getting annoyed with them being so vague at this point.

Alison replies to her, "We realize that we've been careless recently, we let our guard down and let ourselves get comfortable."
Wraith continues after her, "I believe we know what you seek to know." "Our behavior in the past week right? You know we aren't normally introverted. But for you, it's different." Alison butts in once more, "For good reasons too."

Red was silent, she honestly didn't know how to respond to this. So she decided to let them continue, she didn't wish to interrupt. Alison took this as confirmation that their suspicions were correct. She gets up from her office chair, walks to her bedside, and retrieves a newspaper before walking back over and plopping it on the table. With the main panel facing for Red to see.

She read the headline, "Local Warehouse Collapse Confirmed to Be Botched Hostage Rescue.". She read the lower headline, "Hall Marshals Brought Under Investigation, Officials Outraged.". Alison speaks up, "What do you know about the Warehouse Incident?" Reds face turns pale upon hearing that question.

"Why is th-", "Wh-why is this important?" Red stuttered. Alison gave her a skeptical glare, knowing more than what she let on.

Reds parents were amongst the 130 hostages that were killed in the collapse, though she resented her parents for the fact that her parents named her "Redacted", as well as leaving her in someone else's care for as long as she could remember, she was still devastated when she heard of their deaths.

She was old enough to live on her own at that point, having inherited their belongings on top of that. When she heard of the rumors about the Hall Marshals being responsible for the tragedy she pinned their deaths on them, losing respect for them almost immediately after.

Red began to look visibly uneasy, but she had to ask, "were...were you involved in it?". Alison sighed, and moved back to her chair, sitting down in it. Alison was about to speak before Wraith put his hand on her shoulder, she looked up at him before wraith nodded at her. Wraith begins to speak, "Ever since then, we were thankful to have been anonymous, to be able to...switch between personas, and with it our reputations.".

Wraith continues, "But it doesn't redeem our crimes, we still carry the guilt along with us, regardless of face. Out of everyone, we were worried that you would be the one to recognize us immediately.".

"But We were surprised that you didn't recognize us sooner.". Red had a glassy eyed expression on her face, she was beginning to piece everything together.

Only when they both pulled out their badges were Reds suspicions confirmed, and so the waterworks began.

She ran out of the house sobbing, all she wanted to do now was go home, she decided to use the back alleys as a shortcut to get home quicker. She hoped she could avoid contact with anyone else.

The sun had almost set at this point, and in the dusk Red found herself in a dead end. As she turned around she discovered the silhouetted figure that cornered her.

Her last memory was of the emerald green eyes that glowed from the figure, and the feeling of the slash of its claws, emanating a purple glow from its swipe.

She wanted to scream from the pain, but she began to feel the wet dripping from her neck. And as she collapsed all she could do was look up at the face of her assailant. As it began to warp into a similar shape of her own.

Her body was found weeks later in that same alleyway, no footprints or evidence left behind except the victims own blood and DNA. And yet the thing that stole her appearance was never suspected a bit.


The author's comments:

I had to edit this one slightly from the original, but other than that it is virtually the same. (And if you didn't know by now,this took longer than just 10 minutes to write despite what the title says)

This is my short story that I made for the writing prompt, and despite this being one of the more mediocre works I've written, I believe some of you might enjoy this regardless, and that's okay.