Rapunzel, A Fractured Fairy Tale | Teen Ink

Rapunzel, A Fractured Fairy Tale

January 10, 2019
By sofisof23 BRONZE, Madrid, Other
sofisof23 BRONZE, Madrid, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Some years ago there was a teenage girl called Rapunzel. She was blonde, stubborn and had many mood swings. One day when she got home from school, she asked her Mom if she could buy some hair extensions. Then, her mother replied: “Yes, of course, and you can also get a tattoo while you’re at it”. Rapunzel knew her Mom was lying and got so mad that the next day she decided to run away from home.

At sundown, she climbed out her window and started to walk down the street. She lived in a small village so she soon left the town limits. Some time after, she arrived at an unfamiliar village. The streets were completely silent and empty, but in one of them she bumped into a middle-aged lady. The woman had lived in that town since she was a little girl, and naturally, she didn’t recognize Rapunzel. So, she asked her if she was lost and wanted if she’s like to spend some time in her house. Rapunzel had run out of data in her phone and so she asked the lady if she had Wi-Fi in her house. The woman told her that she did so Rapunzel agreed to go to the lady’s home. When they got there, Rapunzel asked the woman where the router was, and when she got her answer she went into the room to enter the password in her phone. Suddenly, the door was closed shut by the wind that came in through an open window. The woman and Rapunzel both tried to open the door from their sides, but it was no use.

The woman called a locksmith and he told her that he would be there in an hour. While she waited, Rapunzel took out her phone to see if she had any new messages but instead found out that her phone battery had run out. So, she got out her bag and started to put on the hair extensions she had brought with her. These were the beautiful new ones that her parents didn’t allow her to use. While she was putting them on, she heard a strange noise. As she turned her head to look for the source of the sound she accidently got some extension glue in her eye. She stood up and quickly tried to find some water or something to sooth the pain in her eye. She didn’t know where she was though and panicked, she hit her head against a wall and passed out. That is when she started to hallucinate.

Finally, the locksmith arrived and was able to unlock the door. Rapunzel awoke thinking that an evil woman had locker her in a tall tower with no way out by and that she had been rescued by a handsome prince that had climbed up her hair. She soon realized this was just her imagination though. The lady paid and thanked the locksmith and then she charged Rapunzel’s phone. When the phone was charged completely, the woman called Rapunzel’s parents and they went immediately to pick her up. The next day, Rapunzel woke up in her own room but her memories were a bit blurry from her accident the night before.

When she was feeling a bit better, she bought a portable charger and went to a hair salon. The hairdresser, Antonio, took some scissors, as he searched for places that might accept hair mixed with badly done extensions. While she was busy with her phone, he gave Rapunzel a classic bob hairstyle. When she saw herself in the mirror she screamed out loud. That was not what she was looking for!


The author's comments:

Inspired by the series Once Upon a Time. I chose this character because it is not featured yet. Let me know what you think!