End of the world? | Teen Ink

End of the world?

By laurenetam BRONZE, Danville, California
laurenetam BRONZE, Danville, California

The year was 2073 and the flaming orange world was at war with the green human world. The Americans were fully suited in shiny armour suits and were bouncing back and forth throwing balls of flaming nitrogen at us. Our successful factories were acting as shields to the martians hiding inside. The once pluffing steam being produced from the workplaces had been stopped. The Mamazon Inc. sign was barley mounted onto the bare and burnt wall as it was dismounted by the bombs being thrown on it. It was our time. Our time to fight back and show them who runs this universe.

Woah woah woah stop right there... Let me explain something first. This is present day Mars, and the year is 2073. We are currently fighting Earth over the idea of factories as our Multi billion dollar company overproduced Earth by over 80% and the Mars economy took over the American Earth economy and  Earth is currently fighting us to get back their doomed economy. As, if they shut us down no one else can out produce them.

“Hello there common earth folks. My name is Joby and I am the head Martian of Mars and I’m going to tell you how this whole success turned into a fiasco, all started”.

When I, the head martian of Mars in 2003 I took my shiny new silver spaceship on August 26th and flew down to Earth. I met with a U.S.A. NASA engineer named John Locke and CEO of a multi million dollar company, Charles Montesquieu. My intent of the trip was to learn about the industrialization of the United States and how the industrialization era changed the states for good. I wanted to know how the machines and factories worked together to help make a booming economy, as I wanted to create a multimillion dollar company on Mars but needed help to understand how the factories would work and how the negative effects changed the way the factory functioned. I had my first earth meal at Chuy's in Houston, Texas and over decent conversations with Locke I later got Locke to tell me about the industrialization era as it was the time frame where everything changed. People were owning and making factories or working in them. It was all about factories, factories, factories, factories! This era had good and bad effects on the people and in order for me to run the biggest and best company with the best and highest functioning machines and quality workers I needed to know all about the wrong and good things that occurred during the industrialization era.

Locke proceed to tell me about the liberty of the workers during the industrial revolution era.

“The workers were owned by their CEO’s and the owners decided how many rights the workers were going to be given”, Locke said.

“The workers were given no rights and were run ragged, trying to impress the boss”.

“If one of d’em workers wanted a break, well too bad. If one of d’em workers was sick, they would better hope that they showed up”. The lives of these workers were all dependent upon the bosses.

“The workers were owned by the owners and were not given the best instructions for safety advice”. Locke shared a story about one of his great grandfather's and how he had lost an arm to the machine in the factory he worked at. By losing one of his arms he was incapable to work. He was laid off and no one else would hire him and the previous factory wouldn't pay him an extended leave or any more commision.

“That damn bastard wouldn't and couldn't help out the family in any way possible, he just left and took all of the families savings with him”.

I took note of this and made sure that all of the workers in my company would be safe at all times, and that no one would get injured or be in a life threatening situation.

Locke’s family members welcomed me into their homes and showed me pictures of their ancestors. Locke’s sister Jamie went on to tell me  a story over apple pie about, how bad the owners of the factories were to their employees and how greedy they were.

“Those old hags only wanted things for themselves ( to boost their sales and become richer) and didn't supply anything for their workers”.

Jamie said, “My great great aunt's son started to work in a dangerous and horrible textile factory at a very young age and it was a very serious and dangerous job, but it had to be done as they needed the money. The son came home every night tired, hungry and covered from head to toe in black ash, only to go back again the next day”.

“That poor little boy was deprived of his childhood”.

Locke also discussed how people in the enlightenment era had to be careful of what they said as not everyone's opinion was wanted or accepted. The citizens could get in trouble if they overstepped their right of free (but not free) speech.

“Now a days, if someone feels they are being treated unfairly they have the right to talk to the owner and discuss the concern/ complaint so that things run smoothly”, said Locke.

After spending some time with Locke and his family I later met up with Charles at his headquarters of Amazon Go in Seattle. He told me how his great great grandfather had been a factory owner and the CEO gene was within him.

“By being around my old pops and our family company, I caught on to the good and bad things occuring in a factory very quickly and made sure that when one day, I owned my own company like I do now I would follow the rules and try to be the best boss of a company that there ever was to have a booming market”.

Charles’s great great grandfather named Joe, (CEO of a factory) would work his workers till ends meet and for very long hours. This was to ensure that everything was on track for shipping the goods, but the long hours often slowed down the workers as they didn't have any energy to get them to the end of their long and tedious shifts. That's why Charles makes sure that his workers only work a maximum of 10 hours and a minimum of 7 hours to ensure everyone is on task and not over wired. Joe as a past owner of a large factory back in the day did not educate his workers and it lead to multiple complications of people getting hurt or ruining things and ended up catching half of the factory on fire with nobody to blame but himself.

Charles said,“My old pops made a lot of mistakes but I'm not going to make a single one of ‘em, this is because I have a team of 10 people to educate new and upcoming workers on how to operate and handle equipment and technology”

Back in the early days, the workers were held under very bad conditions and worked very long hours. Charles told me how he treated his workers like family and made sure they were all fully equipped and educated about how to run the machines. Each of his workers were guaranteed insurance so if something went wrong in the workplace the worker could go and receive help to fix themselves.

After I had my week visit on Earth I gathered up my notes from my previous meetings with Locke and Charles and headed back to the great big Orange planet. Once there, I started work as soon as possible. I started building factories and educating other fellow martians. Everything was going great, the factories were very successful the families were able to provide for themselves and the children were still able to have their childhood. I made sure each machine was very safe and that all of my workers worked reasonable hours and were still able to see their family. I had a board of martians that could check and balance things that I put into say so that everyone was fairly treated, unlike the industrialization era. Only a few of my workers got hurt that year but were still paid on their leave. The work conditions were better than ever and everything was going great. So great, that we started to surpass China in our sales. Fast forward a few months and little did you know we had surpassed the American good trade as our factories were more powerful and successful than ever.

“Sir, Joby we have just gotten news that the Earthens are coming, they aren’t happy either”.

It was in that moment, that I doubted everything I had once supported.

And there they were, the tiny American astronauts were armed and ready to face a war, us martians were not prepared for.

High pitched screaming filled the huge grey craters as the noisy bombs went off as everyone was ducking cover for safety. The martian civilization is in danger. After all that I have done for this planet I feel it is time for me to resign. I’m not going to be the one to blame after all that I have done. So whoever is reading this you've been chosen to be the newest martian leader.

“What do you want? Who do you pick to fight, or do you? It's all up to you. Now the fate of the martian civilization is in your hands. Good luck!”

Signing off, Joby