The Mysterious Stranger | Teen Ink

The Mysterious Stranger

By Kamie GOLD, White House, Texas
Kamie GOLD, White House, Texas
18 articles 1 photo 1 comment

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams"- Eleanor Roosevelt
“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"-Eleanor Roosevelt
"Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn't be done"- Amelia Earhart

Long ago, in a magical kingdom call Diamond Creek, there lived a royal couple, King Ralph and Queen Isabella. The couple wanted a child very bad so they hoped fate would be kind to them, then the queen gave birth to twins, Princess Dawn and Prince Dylan. Princess Dawn had long golden hair, eyes that were as blue as sapphires, lips that were as red as rubies, sun kissed skin, and a sericeous and soft voice. Prince Dylan had short dark brown hair, dark blue eyes, pale white skin, and spoke with a soft, but serious, voice.

Just like some twins, Princess Dawn and Prince Dylan were inseparable. Dawn and Dylan loved to have new adventures. The royal children also loved archery, sword fighting, self defense, music, and helping the kingdom. On the twins 18th birthday, Queen Isabella suddenly fell very ill. King Ralph was so worried about his wife's health that he would pay any cost. Many people tried to heal the Queen but none succeeded and everyday, the queen’s health got worse.

One day a strange man came to the palace and asked for an audience with the king. The king, the prince, and the princess went to talk to the stranger. The stranger bowed to the royal family but kept his eye always on the princess. The king asked, “Why did you wish to have an audience with me, my boy?”

The stranger looked at the king and said, “My name is Philip Aveler, Your Highness, and I am a traveling healer so I have heard of the queen's illness before and I know how to cure it.” King Ralph said, “I will pay you anything you desire but you must save Queen Isabella first.” Philip said, “I will cure the queen but I ask for nothing in return.” King Ralph's response was, “You can have anything you desire yet you say nothing. Why is that, my boy?” Philip, keeping one eye on the princess, said, “The only thing I desire is something you cannot give me but fear not, I shall help you restore the queen’s health.” Philip pulled a list out of his satchel and handed it to Princess Dawn.

Dawn read the list aloud, “Meat from a wild boar, sage, rosemary, salt, sap from an enchanted tree, diamond dust, fur from a pink enchanted bunny, a tear from a pure heart, and 4 drops of blood from the sick?” The royal family had a look of confusion, and slight disgust, on their faces so Philip said, “It may seem unpleasant but it will cure Queen Isabella. I have used it with my own clients!”

Princess Dawn said, “Alright, then, we must hurry! Dylan, would you mind getting the wild boar meat?” Dylan said, “I do not mind at all. I can get the meat but who will get mother's blood?” King Ralph said, “Worry not, I shall take care of it.” Dawn said, “Mr. Aveler and I will gather the rest of the items. We will meet in the throne room once we have everything.” Philip said, “This is a soup, sort of, so shall we meet in the kitchen, instead.” The royal family agreed with Philip, then the prince and the king rush off to gather their items, leaving Princess Dawn and Philip in the throne room.

As Dawn and Philip walked to the stalls to fetch some horses, Dawn asked, “Mr. Aveler, out of everything my father could have given you, why did you choose nothing?” Philip replied, “Please call me Philip and it is as I told you father, he cannot give me what I desire.” After Philip said that, they arrived at the royal stables. They saddled two horses and then started to ride towards the forest. Philip asked, “Princess, do you know where an enchanted tree is?” Dawn said, “The only one left in the entire kingdom is by the old water mill, about a five minute ride towards the west.” With that, Dawn and Philip headed west.

On their way to the tree, Dawn stopped at one of the royal mines. Philip asked, “What are you doing? Why are you stopping?” Dawn said, “This is one of the royal mines. We can get some diamond dust here, correct?” Philip said, “Yes but only if the diamond is naturally smooth.” Dawn got off her horse then walked over to a mine cart full of diamonds. She reached into the cart and pulled out a flawlessly smooth 118 carat diamond.

Philip said, “You, princess, truly have been blessed by Fate. You are the luckiest person I have ever met.” Dawn said, “I am nothing special. Just an ordinary princess.” Phillip said, “I believe you are more special than you realize! Now, shall we go to the enchanted tree?” They mount their horses and head west, towards the enchanted tree.

Once they arrived at the old water mill, they encountered a giant that said, “I am the guardian of this enchanted tree. If you believe you are worthy and your cause is noble, then step forward and accept judgement. If you fail the tests, then you shall not return to the place that brought you here.”

Princess Dawn and Philip, both, stepped forward then the giant said, “Choose one, and only one, to continue.” Philip insisted that he should be the one to go but Dawn said, “The sap is for my mother, my family, my kingdom. I should be the one to continue.” The giant interrupted by saying, “Who do you choose to continue?” Dawn stepped forward and the giant let her pass, but warned her she must stay on the path, no matter what! As Dawn was walking away, Philip shouted, “Please hurry! Your mother has until sunrise tomorrow at most!”

Then, Dawn started running down the path until she approached five enchanted trees! Dawn thought that was the test: to find the real enchanted tree among the fakes. Then, all of sudden, Dawn saw smoke coming from a little cottage and the five enchanted trees. Then Dawn realized that was her choice: Save a family from a fire, let the last enchanted tree in the kingdom die, or do nothing and let both happen! Dawn looked towards the burning trees, towards the burning cottage, then she heard screams coming from inside the cottage!

Dawn ran as fast as she could while looking for something to get the door open and found an axe! When Dawn broke down the door, a mother, father, and son rushed out. The father was holding back his wife as she was screaming, “My daughter! My baby is still in there!” Upon hearing this news, Dawn rushed into the burning cottage and grabbed the screaming baby girl! As soon as Dawn emerged from the burning cottage, the cottage and the family disappeared.

Dawn heard an elegant but old feminine voice. Dawn looked around and realized the voice was coming from the real enchanted tree, which had revealed itself. The voice said, “Princess Dawn of Diamond Creek, you have shown that you are strong, determined, and brave. You are self-less with a kind and pure heart and you put others needs before your own, even if it costs you someone you hold dear. You, princess, are a beautiful person, both inside and out! I shall grant you the gift of my sap, may it help save your ill mother.”

When the enchanted tree was done filling up Dawn’s sap jar, she instantly sent Dawn back to Philip and the giant. Philip was so relieved to see that the princess was safe. Dawn showed him the sap, they mounted their horses and headed back to the castle. Along the way, Dawn told him about her test. As they were riding in the forest on the castle grounds, Dawn saw a small family of pink enchanted bunnies.

Dawn stopped her horse and picked up one of the pink enchanted bunnies and started petting it. Philip noticed dawn had stopped so he stopped too, but stayed on his horse. Dawn whispered something in its ear and the bunny wiggled its’ nose as if in response to whatever she whispered to it. So Dawn took a small blade out of the hem of her dress and the bunny started shaking in her arms but kept still enough for Dawn to give it a little “haircut”.

Philip asked Dawn, “We need pink enchanted bunny fur to save your mother. Why did you get fur from a regular white bunny?” Dawn, getting back on her horse, giggled and said, “That was a fluffle of pink enchanted bunnies. Pink enchanted bunnies are kind gentle creatures and they only reveal themselves to those whose hearts, and cause, are true. They revealed themselves to me because they could tell that I wish no harm upon them.

Pink enchanted bunnies are really rare because, sadly, there are not very many left in this world. Greedy people with dishonest hearts hunted them down because of the healing magic in their fur so now they hide on the royal grounds, where rare animals are protected from hunters and others who wish harm upon them.We protect all rare animals, magical and non-magical.”

When they got back to the castle, it was already nightfall so the castle staff had already retired to their quarters for the evening. They took their horses back to the stables, then Dawn and Philip headed to kitchen with their “ingredients”. When Philip and Dawn walked into the kitchen, Dylan and Roland were already waiting for them. Dylan got a pot out, ready for the “soup”.

The royal family asked how to prepare the “soup”. Philip said, “It’s actually quite simple but we must hurry, there is not much time left. First someone must cut up the wild boar meat.” King Roland said, “I shall cut the meat.” Philip said, “Alright, while King Roland is cutting the meat, someone needs to put water, sage, rosemary, salt, the tree sap, and the queen’s blood into the pot. Dylan, would you please do that?” Dylan says, “Of course, Philip.”

Philip turned towards Dawn only to find her sitting on a stool, quietly crying. Philip said, in a soft and gentle voice, “Princess, please do not despair. I promise that I will save you mother, no matter how long it takes! I give you my word as a healer.” Dawn was about to wipe her tears until Philip caught her tears in a small spoon. Philip walked over to the pot and dropped the tears into the soup. Philip, who saw Dawn’s confusion, said, “A tear from the pure of heart, your pure heart. Now we need to add the enchanted bunny fur to the stew and let that sit for a little. Dawn, can you go to a blacksmith and see if you can get your diamond crushed?” Dawn nodded and headed for the door.

After five minutes, when Philip takes the enchanted bunny fur out of the stew, the fur turned white! By the time Roland gets done with cutting up the meat, Dawn returns to the kitchen with her now crushed diamond. Philip asks King Roland to put the meat into the pot and cover it with a lid. After thirty minutes, Philip asked Dawn for her diamond dust. Dawn handed Philip the small velvet bag which contained the diamond dust. Philip sprinkled the diamond dust into the pot, like any other type of seasoning and covered the pot with the lid for about another five minutes.

Philip grabbed a ceramic bowl out of one of the cabinets, poured some soup into it, handed it to Dawn, and said, “It is ready. This will cure your mother, princess, I promise! Now, please, we get this to her, quickly.” Philip and Dawn rushed out of the kitchen and headed straight for the queen’s chambers, with King Ralph and Dylan following close behind.

When Dawn opened her mother’s door, her mother was on the floor, as if she had fainted! “Mother!” Dawn screamed when she saw her mother in such a state. Luckily, Dawn and Philip were able to get Queen Isabella into her bed. After about ten minutes, Queen Isabella woke up with strange purple markings, all over her body!

When Dawn realized it, she cried and said, “Mother! I am so happy to see you awake! We have a cure for your illness. We can save you!” Dawn handed her mother the bowl of soup. After Queen Isabella finished her soup, she fell unconscious and dropped her bowl onto the ground, breaking it into pieces.

The noise shocked Ralph and Dylan, who had just entered the queen’s chambers. Dylan turned towards Philip and yelled, “What did you do to my mother!?” Dawn tried to calm her brother by saying, “Dylan, please, we do not know if her is the one responsible” King Ralph was yelling for the guards while Dawn was trying to separate Dylan and Philip until the room light up with a strange light.

Everyone turned around and saw that the strange light was coming from the queen herself! The queen’s body glowed as she was lifted so high into the air that she hit the ceiling. After a few seconds, the queen stopped glowing and floating. King ralph caught his beloved wife in his arms and then she woke up almost immediately, completely cured!

The next day, the entire royal family was speaking with Philip in the throne room. Queen Isabella, “Philip Aveler, you have succeeded where others failed. You have restored my health and for I thank you. Now I believe that you were promised something in return for your services.” Philip said, “I was promised nothing, Your Majesty.” Queen Isabella looked confused so Dawn spoke up and said, “He said that he wished for no payment. He did not for Father’s money nor land of his own. He said the only thing he desired was something Father could not give him.” Queen Isabella said, “What is it that you desire?”

Philip hesitated for a few seconds then said, “What I desire is the princess’s heart, as well as her hand.” Princess Dawn was blushing when King Ralph said, “Dawn, Dylan, would you two please exit the throne room? Your mother and I wish to speak to Mr. Aveler.” Dawn and Dylan respect the wishes of their parents and leave the throne room.

Once the door closes behind them, King Ralph turns his attention back to Mr. Aveler and asks, “What if the princess does not wish to to grant your desire?” Philip, with a sad smile on his face, said, “Then I wish for her happiness, as well as the happiness of your magnificent kingdom.” Queen Isabella said, “Why, Mr. Aveler? Out of everything the royal family could offer, why my daughter? Dawn is a princess, yes, but she is also just another woman and there are plenty of other woman in the world.”

Philip said, “I have met many women during my travels but none as beautiful and kind as your daughter, princess or not. I have also heard stories of the princess and both her inward and outward beauty. I wanted to see if they are true. I mean, hair as gold as the sunshine, eyes as blue as sapphires, lips as red as strawberries, and a pure heart. I could not believe them until I saw you for myself.”

The queen asks, “Did she confirm the stories, Mr. Aveler?” Philip said, “No, because she is far too beautiful and kind to put into words. The princess loves everyone in her kingdom and, in return, the kingdom loves her. She is willing to put others needs always above her own.” King Ralph asked, “What do you mean by that?”

Philip said, “To get the enchanted tree sap, the princess had her heart tested. The test was to let an innocent family burn in their cottage home, let five illusionary enchanted trees burn, or doing nothing and let both happen. Princess Dawn decided to the trees in order to save the family. Princess Dawn was willing to risk losing her mother to save some couple and their kids.

On our way back to the castle, when I asked her why, she responded by saying, ‘If I let that family burn, I would have gone against what the royal family stands for, what my parents taught me was right. I do not believe I could have faced my mother if she knew that I sacrificed innocent lives to save hers. My parents always taught me that just because we have jewels on our heads and a bigger home than the other people in the kingdom, does not give us a right rule over them. We rule with them by our side.’

As we were putting the horses away, Princess Dawn said we are all made the same, human, so titles bestowed upon us by others have no real meaning. Royals are merely a light to help people find their way. Princess Dawn is the kindest person I have ever met.”

Philip blushed while he said, “She is beautiful, both inside and out. The kindest and love in her heart is what saved you, Your Majesty.” As soon as Philip finished speaked, Queen Isabella said, “Children, you may enter now.” Philip, surprised, turned around as Dawn and Dylan reentered the throne room. Philip said, “Were the princess and prince outside the door the entire time?” The queen slightly nodded her head in response.

King Ralph turned to face his daughter and said, “Princess Dawn, do you wish for grant Mr. Aveler’s reward request?” Dawn looked at her mother and father, as if asking for permission to speak. Her parents responded by giving her just a single look. Dawn turned towards Philip and said, “Mr. Aveler, what is your reward request?” Philip got down on one knee and said, “Princess Dawn, would you make me the happiest person in the world by saying you will give me your hand, as well as your heart, in marriage?”

Princess Dawn, “I shall give you my hand but not my heart…” Philip interrupted by saying, “What? Why not?” Dawn giggled and said, “Because, my little silly healer, you already stole it from me.” Princess Dawn and Philip Aveler were married six months later. Prince Dylan married the princess of Philip’s homeland, who just so happened to be a good friend of Dawn’s.