The Future Engraved | Teen Ink

The Future Engraved

June 19, 2018
By Bangtan_Fictions BRONZE, Wynnewood, Oklahoma
Bangtan_Fictions BRONZE, Wynnewood, Oklahoma
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

(Authors Note: I'm sorry for any grammer issues)

 

Annalaya woke up to the bright sun shining. The sky was cloudless and a beautiful color of purple. As she sat up, Annalaya checked her pendant like she does every morning, waiting for it to countdown. The pendant was engraved in her wrist. Every person's pendant is in a different place, like a birthmark. When the pendant reached the end of it's timer, it's when the person finds his or hers' soulmate. Annalaya has been waiting for a long time, being 16. The average age to find a soulmate is 13, so you can get used to it. In fact, you normally get married around 16 or 17. You see, time works differently in this world. So, averagely, you get at least 3yrs to get you know your soulmate. Now, you might find it weird to get married to someone you dont know but the pendants hardly every fail, as they've only failed 3 times. Annalaya had begun to worry that hers was failing. Annalaya slowly turned her wrist to the bottom. She almost squealed in pleasure seeing the timer counting down. But her smile slowly faded to a frown once she realized it was almost to 0. It had started when she was asleep, and now Annalaya was suddenly nervous about meeting her soulmate. She got dressed quickly into a simple t-shirt and some black pre-ripped jeans. She ran down the stairs into the kitchen and grabbed some cereal.

"Morning Anna" AnnaLaya's mom greeted her

"Morning Mom" Annalaya sighed.

"Why so sad?"

"I'm not exaclty sad. It's just, my pendant has reached 0 and I'm nervous about meeting my soulmate... whoever that is."

"Oh, were all worried about that, sweetie. Don't worry, I'm sure he'll be a great guy!"

"Thanks Mom." Annalaya went up to hug her Mom. "Hey, I'ma go outside. I'll be back by dinner at the latest."

"Ok. Remember to stay inside the city gates." Her mom warned.

"Yeah yeah." Annalaya sighed and walked out the front day and plugged in her headphones. Annalaya and her mom live in the city of Riverwind. Riverwind was surrounded by gates, meant to keep unwanted people out, but Annalaya wasn't aloud out after her father dissapeared during a bussiness trip out of the city limits. The stupid rules my mom has. All my friends can go out. It's not my fault my dad ran off. I highly doubt he "dissapeared" he probably just left Mom because of the jerk he is. Mom's pendant started re-counting down since he left. Normally if your soulmate dies or dissapears off the known world, the pendant doesn't start counting down again until a couple of years, right? But Mom's starting counting down almost right away. It's still possible that Dad died but i wouldn't put it past that idiot to leave my mom. I had noticed his had starting re-counting before he left, but I can't bring myself to tell Mom. It's better she think he's dead.

"Ooff" The air was knocked out of Annalaya as she hit someone's hard chest. "S-sorry." She appologized. A hand reached out to help. Annalaya just stared at it, being in a daze.

"Well, you gonna take my hand or what?" The boy just stared at Annalaya, his face impossible to read.

"Y-yeah" Annalaya grabbed his hand and let him help her up. The boy had sharp features, black hair with brown highlights, and deep sea-green eyes. He was wearing casual clothes. A simple white shirt and some blue skinny-jeans.

"The name's Kayman" The boy stated.

~Annalaya's POV~

I noticed Kayman was rubbing the bottom of my wrist. I slid my wrist out of his grasp just for him to grab it again, except this time he held it tighter. He slowly turned my wrist over, examining my pendant.

"Hmmm..." Kayman hummed while still examining my pendant.

"Let go of my hand!" I yelled and yanked it hard and hid it behind my back. "What's with you?" The boy smirked.

"Nothing's with me. Just looking at the person who ran into me." Kayman stated his eyes unreadable.

"I said I was sorry." His calmness was infuriating me.

"Don't worry, I forgive you. Now, your name?" Kayman asked me

"You don't need it."

"Well, I told you mine, didn't I?" Kayman had a point. But I's reluctant to tell him my name.

"Fine, the name's Annalaya." Kayman nodded, which for some reason infuriated me even more.

"Try not to run into anymore guys." Kayman smirked and then walked off. That little... how dare he treat me like that. Though I'm not sure what infuriated me so much. Maybe it's just his personality or how calm he is. Whatever. I hope I never see him again. I contintued my walk until the sun started dipping towards the horizon. As I walked in my door, I was greeted by my mother's beautiful voice.

"Honey? Can you help me set the table? I invited the new neighbors for dinner. I hope it's ok with you"

"Yah, Mom, it's fine." I promised myself when my jerk dad left that I'd never trouble my mom, with anything. I grabbed the plates my mom had already set out and began setting the table. I had just finished when the doorbell rang. "I got it!" I told my mom.

"Okay, thank you! I'm just getting the food on the table." I went to oped the door to see a Man, a Woman, and none other than Kayman. Of course He had to be the new neighbor. I didn't let my displeasure show as I welcomed them in.

~Kayman's POV~

I smirked when I saw Annalaya answer the door. The boring dinner that was gonna happen just took a turn for the better. Suddenly Annalaya was right infront of me.

"Don't try anything, boy." she glared. I put my hands up in mock surrender.

"I won't try." I earned a glare from Annalaya. Just you wait. You're in for a big surprise. I walked to the table, standing beside my Mom.

"Anna, honey, can you take this nice boy on a tour?"

"Ahhh... Sure, Mom" I smirked.

"Lead on, tour guide." I said, following her. After a little bit, we got to the upstairs hallway. I grabbed Annalaya's wrists and shoved her against the wall, firm but not hard enough to inflict pain.

~Annalaya's POV~

I was shocked when Kayman shoved me against the wall. I gritted my teeth.

"I'd watch it boy."

"Oh will you wait. I'm not doing anything I just need you to listen to me." Kayman stated calmly. I let out a sigh and relaxed a little bit.

"Fine, but make it quick."

"Chill, princess."

"I'm not a princess." Kayman started lifting his sleeve revealing a pendant on his shoulder.

"Why are you showing me this?" I asked.

"Use your brain. Your's has reached 0, mine has reached 0, got it yet?"

No. No no. This Can't be happening.