The Boy who was allergic to everything. | Teen Ink

The Boy who was allergic to everything.

May 29, 2018
By Pecpec BRONZE, Orlando, Florida
Pecpec BRONZE, Orlando, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Ever since I was a small boy I have never really seen the outside world for 17 years. Never experience the fun of the summer outside, or winter, or spring or fall. You get the point,well thats because when I was born a few days after being taken out the hospital. I had this huge allergic reaction to something and was taken back to the hospital to be examined. They told my mother that I had a serious illness that was never heard of before. It was believed that I was allergic to everything, this scared my mother to the extent that she worked  very hard to become a doctor and she achieved it, but her sole purpose was to better understand how to deal with my illness. After that I have never left my house and the only people that I have ever seen was my mother and my nurse. We had an air vacuum so when someone walked in the house there was no bacterial air sneaking in. I always had my clothes cleaned with a specific detergent just to be on the safe side. The only thing I had close to the outside world, was my big clear unbreakable window at the back of my house. I had a huge view of a forest like area.Be able to see a peck of the sunrise  and at times the sunset. To waste time I read, read, and read almost all the hours of my day.Which cause my love reading , after ever book I write a review of the book just to show how much I loved the book. I had a occasional conversations with people who read my comments online , but they were only one or two comment a day. By the other half was mostly eating, online tutoring, and check ups from my nurse. Who’s name is John, he makes the most extravagant conversations just to keep me company. He was like family to me, I told him everything.It was the same routine everyday, and at some point  it became lonely.But I never told my mother that because she would obviously overreact. Although everyday when she comes back from work she would hang out with me to keep me company after John left. It still felt lonely. I wanted to experience something new, to breathe fresh air although one breathe would kill me. But, knowing myself I could never dare to go outside if it meant risking my own life and worry my mother. So I always kept on the safe side.
One regular same routine day. I rugged and beeping moving truck was heard for the next door house. I quickly ran to my bedroom window to see my mysterious new neighbors. Suddenly, I felt like I had been given something to fill my loneliness. Once I saw her I could see the sparkle in her eye and the shine in her smile. It was love at first sight. Although I don’t think I fully understand the concept of love. You being trapped in a house for 17 yrs and all. But I just couldn't help It. I felt such a strong connection to her, like I could never imagine. But nothing could be done I can’t love her because I would never even be able to meet her. Or so I thought, she ended up by my door a couple hours later with her brother.But unfortunately my mom was home , and she doesn't like new visitors. I tried my best to peck from the corner of the second clear front door. But my mom continually told me to go back for my own safety

“ Hi ! We are the Smiths!” They both exclaimed in excitement.

“ My name is Olivia Smith, and this annoying dude next to me is Kevin Smith. “ She continued.

“ What is your purpose here , me my son were busy at the moment.” My mother replied annoyed.

“ Umm we were told to bring this lasagna out of hospitality to our new neighbors.” she continued with a smile.

All of a sudden a slip of my face was shown, and then the new neighbor quickly said “ Oh hi what's your name ? Are you my age? “

I quickly ran back out of nervousness, my heartbeat was beating faster than ever before. I have never felt this ever.

“ Matthew ! Go back inside right now!!!” My mother exclaimed in anger.

Then she turned around and answered our new neighbors “ Excuse me you said you came to bring food out of hospitality, but then you act inhospitable by talking to my son who was clearly in the house. So please take you poison food back, and don’t bring it back ever.!!! ” 

“ Wait I apologize I didn’t mean to….” Olivia stirred trying to apologize. But my mom out of anger slammed the door.

“ Come on… Olly.. how rude..coming from me… lets go and were taking this with us..poison pfft..mmmmm I don't know what she talking about..!” Kevin mummerd by the door chewing on the lasagna with his bare hands before his voice echoed and disappeared.

Then after the echoing voice disappeared I turned from the door to see my mother burning like a kettle ready to blow behind me. She was angry and it was obvious. I was ready for the lecture of a lifetime.

“ I have told you many times to never leave you know the dangers of your illness Matthew!!! For your own Safety please don't go outside again! you know how much I care about you and I cannot let you get hurt!” My mother exclaimed.

I knew what my mother told me but I just couldn't help it .I wanted to know so instead of leaving the house, I started to have a relationship with Olivia through  our windows. Coincidence much her window was right next to mine and she was as curious as I was. So what Olivia did in her own little smart way was to give me her phone number through windows using a window marker . More and more I began to know her. more and more I begin to love her more than I thought I did.She also began to know me more, we shared secrets After a while I just couldn't take it.Until one day my restraint came to an end I couldn't take it anymore I just wanted to know who they were and wanted to know who Olivia was and I wanted to know that I have a relationship with someone other than my mother and my nurse. One random, the break of night I checked waited for my mother to sleep, and texted Oliva to meet me outside.She knew the dangers and warned me , she cared and didn’t want to do anything to harm me. But she knew how bad I wanted this and she knew I would find a wait to meet her without her consent. So she told me to wait and she would met me by the door. So I did , and she came. I tried to open the door, but she immediately closed it.

“ No Matthew! Its to dangerous you know the dangers!” she quietly yelled

“ But I want to see you, touch you, hug you.” I said desperately

“ I love you and have every since I saw you .” I continued

“I love you too! MMM, ok just for a little not more than a minute “ She quietly answered

I opened the door once again, and finally I was able to touch Oliva. I grabbed her quickly and hug her. Of course she returned it. I look her in the eyes, slowly began to move closer to her. But then my vision began to blur, everything went blank and all I could hear as I faded away was Olivia's voice fading away calling my name. “ MATTHEW!MATTHEW!WAKE UP….”

In that moment my heart stopped, I knew I had dead. I could feel myself dropping into darkness. Everything I had wondered about the outside world rushed into my body. I felt like all my questions were answered.Until finally I could see light. I was in a room on a bed. Finally I knew I was at a hospital. I remember the scent, I remember the feeling of sitting/laying on a hospital bed.Once I woke I say my worried sleep mother next to me squeezing my hand. From that moment I knew what I had to do, I could not be with Olivia.Then once again I faded into slumber. A few hours later I was at home in my house. I got up a bit weak, and to my surprise Olivia was by her window . She pointed at her phone , I knew what she meant. I went to my phone,she was apologizing. I told her not to, and I apologize for what I was about to do, and what I did then. I told I could never meet her again and I told her how much I loved her. She understood, and from that day on we never meet again. I missed her, but for my own health and safety, and my mothers health I couldn’t love her anymore. I had to let her go, forever.


The author's comments:

Based on the book “Everything Everything”