Grazioso | Teen Ink

Grazioso

By TheGeekyOne SILVER, Roslyn Heights, New York
TheGeekyOne SILVER, Roslyn Heights, New York

“When I’m 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I’ll be reading Harry Potter. And my family will say to me, ‘After all this time?’ And I will say, ‘Always.’”-Alan Rickman

It’s funny watching people fall in love right before your eyes. They act like themselves, but not. They say things you think they would say, but with a nervous tone behind their words. They talk about things that they would normally talk about, but they stumble on every word no matter how well they comprehend the topic. Watching someone fall in love is like listening to a child learn to play classical music. At first they are sloppy and the quality of their music is being hidden by their lack of experience and skill. However once they begin to feel the keys under their fingers, and allow their music to become a part of them, it melds into a gorgeous melody that you cannot pry your ears from. Love is a tiresome concept when looked at from the surface. There is always an issue, always something keeping people apart, but when looked at from deep below the shallow views of society, it is a strange and interesting experience. The chemistry flowing in the person’s eyes, and the adrenaline coursing through their veins. Just because you have not been visited by cupid and one of his infamous arrows, doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t pay attention, because watching love blossom is an entire different story.
     Listening to her fingers run down the keys, playing her chromatic scale, hitting all of the sharps and flats the piano has to offer, brought light into people’s lives. She was an astounding pianist, her pieces heard by every music lovers ears. Short. Short. Long. Every staccato plucked at your heart strings, and left you yearning for more. But there was one particular ear in the audience who was not only amazed at the beauty her music brought to our glum world of darkness, but at the light her face shined when she did it. The beams of light she emitted glazed his eyes, leaving him speechless. She went up and down, her entire body moving as if she were attached to the keys themselves and they were playing her. When her hand brushed over the final note there was a moment of silence in the audience. The music still rang in the air and it would have been a sin not to absorb every last drop of it. The brown eyed boy with calming blonde hair, and ruffled suit began the round of applause that seemed to last forever. The pianist stood, thanked her audience, then walked off of the grand stage with as much grace as her music held. The boy followed her figure, down to the tail of her bright red dress, until it completely disappeared from his line of sight. He slumped back down in his seat still in awe of the performance, and in awe of the pianist who pursued her dream when he never was daring enough to. He sat watching each person slowly file out of the ancient auditorium, until the room had an occupancy of one person. The air was still with emptiness, and it grew too heavy. The boy slowly stood, loosening his white dotted tie, and made his way down to the now dark stage. As he climbed the extravagantly carved steps, he felt the atmosphere of the room shift. The heavy air seemed to lift molecule by molecule off his cheap suit when he traced the outline of the blindingly white grand piano that the pianist expressed herself on. But oh when he touched the keys, that’s when it began. The room burst out with color, until all the colors that existed on the spectrum decorated the stage. The boy touched key, by key, until he was immersed in the beautiful presence of music, just like the glowing pianist was. Each note was like a droplet of honey, and his scales were like spreading butter on a freshly baked slice of bread. His melancholy music melded into a sweet serene sound, and as it grew with intensity, so did the tension in the room. He had the full attention of the air, light, and color in the room transforming it with his every trill, flat, and sharp, until it wasn’t only the rooms attention he managed to capture. She peered through a small break in the burgundy curtains, until his music drew her forward, into the color he created. He was so attached to the heart filling sound he was letting escape his mind, that he didn’t notice the girl until her golden heel made a click too loudly on the wooden stage. She froze. He froze. A flash of red took over the boy’s face, almost as bright as the girl’s dress. He began to pry open his mouth to let an apology escape his lips, but instead she said,”Please do not stop on my account. That was magical, for lack of better description. It seems that you have taken any eloquent descriptions I had and turned them into a beautiful piece. Please continue, if it is not too much trouble.” The boy gulped, his cheeks hot with embarrassment, while she remained as calm as she was when she played her piano. He nervously began playing a piece he had composed when he was back in high school, a time that felt like eons ago. He was sure he sounded terrible compared to the girls unforgiving talent, but every new movement he touched upon, she grew closer. She stood with her eyes closed, trying to soak in the happiness and life the music brought with it, until she was standing right next to the boy, and he ended his magic with a final note, like a breath that escaped his conscience while it had the chance. The girl nearly pierced the boy’s eyes with her poisonous green eyes. And then she surprised her entire audience, from the air to the moldings in the auditorium. She sat beside the boy, and played without a word drifting from her pale lips.
     Her melody began with a slow lulling sound, gently sweeping your ears from side to side. She continued on, until the boy reluctantly gathered the courage he had, and put his finger down interrupting her song. She glanced at him, but refused to withdraw her hands from the instrument. He however quickly drew back in fear, when an idea fizzled in his mind. He straightened his back, one vertebra at a time, and started playing a piece full of fast staccato notes contradicting her elongated legato notes. The room faded in and out of color and light as each person used their immense talent and battled it out on the white grand piano. They played the technique, and sheer genius out of their fingers, never seeming to run out. The once bleak beige walls were plastered with reds, oranges, blues any color that could cross your mind appeared all over those walls. It was spectacular. As the tension grew between the two, hearts racing along to the beat, and fingers speeding down the keys, the room exploded unable to contain the emotions spilling out inside, until it was just the stage, piano, and the twinkling stars above the two pianists.
     In the pitch of night their hands navigated the piano like a set of skilled explorers. The sound swirled and carried them into the air a note at a time. But every journey eventually dulled to an end, so the stars dimmed, and the wind hushed. The boy desperate for it not to end immersed himself in her eyes, trying to take her in before it all ended. Unfortunately even his fingers couldn’t continue on forever. The melody fell into the abyss of the stars above them, while the walls around them rebuilt themselves, brick by brick. The girl tore herself away from the keys, wishing she didn’t have to leave. They stared longingly into each other’s wonderfully creative eyes, and she knelt down and planted a small gentle kiss goodbye on the boy’s forehead. She completely disappeared as the boy slammed down on the B flat key, with a final anger, passion, and a little bit of love, to find himself in the grand auditorium. On that too big for even a magical white grand piano stage. He opened his eyes and lifted his hand off of the keys, and turned to find he had an audience. The room was filled with audience members from ages six to ninety, all with tears trickling down their cheeks. He stood in shock, and scared the audience for that pair of eyes. He searched and searched, his heart beating faster along to the sound of applause, until he found them. Those sharp green eyes sitting in the audience. Telling him that his fingers were powerful enough, to make the story real.

Sometimes we all need a little push from someone to make us do the things we love. So when things begin to decrescendo, that someone will always be there to help you find the courage to crescendo once more.