The mermaid and the man | Teen Ink

The mermaid and the man

By RoRo24 BRONZE, Columbia, Missouri
RoRo24 BRONZE, Columbia, Missouri

“Death has reared himself a throne
In a strange city lying alone
    Far down within the dim West,
      Where the good and the bad and the worst and the best
      Have gone to their eternal rest. “
    The mermaid gently soothes the pirates tangled black hair while he lays there slowly looking at death itself. The mermaid says “that was a quote from Edgar Allen Poe I’m sure you’ve heard of him, everyone has.” The mermaid looks at the man laying down she takes her hand and closes his eyes slowly then kisses his eyelids. For a second the mermaid just looks at him thinking to herself that men are so gullible laying their lives at her feet just because of how beautiful she is not even wondering what she really is. After she was done looking at the strange man she starts singing a little a song and the sea creatures carry the man’s body into the sea. This was the 6th pirate that week which was kind of odd now that she thought of it. The men usually came every few weeks but never after another so close.

It had just been 2 days after the last man but as the Mermaid sat on her favorite rock combing through her hair she spotted another man at the edge of the island. This was so surprising to the mermaid she didn’t know what to think of it. She came down from the rock and started swimming towards the island. It was another pirate. As the mermaid came closer to the man she was shocked at how beautiful he was. His dark brown hair was pulled into a man bun and she could tell he was Hispanic. The man looked at the mermaid too, shocked by her beauty. He stared at her long mermaid tail with the beautiful sea green scales and how and it sparkled when the sun hit them. The mermaid came out the water and her tail slowly transformed into long tan legs. As she got close to the man he fixed his face so he didn’t look so in awe. The mermaid looked up at the man and smiled
    “hi, welcome to the island of the dead, what brings you here today?
The man knew what people called this island but he was confused why she said it without being scared  the island wouldn’t find a way to kill her too.
    “A couple of my men went missing around here, so I’m just going to take a look,” said the man.
   The mermaid laughed an ugly laugh that scared the man “they’re dead,” responded the mermaid.
    This confused the men at first but then he started thinking to himself he heard of these sirens seducing men and bringing them to their death. He decided to play it safe so he could escape this alive. “I’m just going to go look anyways” the man replied back trying not to be mesmerized by her beauty. “Spend some time with me first” she giggled and playfully tugged at his shirt. “No that’s okay,” said the man. The mermaid looked shocked that he had declined her offer, the man saw this and smirked a little. He grabbed his bag and went on searching the island.

It had been 3 days since the man had landed on the island and he hadn’t made any efforts to see the mermaid. So on the fourth day, the mermaid swam to the shore and went looking for the man. She found him in a little tent behind the huge coconut trees and found him drinking a coconut. “I told you your friends are dead you need to leave,” the mermaid said. The man was starting to realize the more he ignored her the more she came to him.” I’ll leave when I feel like I’ve searched every part of this little island.”  Said the man.

10 days later the man was still on the island. He and the mermaid had made a game out of this. She would ask the man to leave and he would still tell her off. This was exciting for the mermaid and without realizing it she was starting to like the man. She would talk to the little fish about him while they combed through her hair. The man was feeling the same way about the mermaid. He would secretly watch her while she swam around in the water. Her beautiful tail literally shining. Weeks had come and passed and they finally started opening up to each other. The mermaid told him how she loved poetry especially Edgar Allen Poe and about how the sea creatures were like a family to her and how she could watch the sunset forever. The man told her about his love for the beach and how he hated vegetables.

One night while they were walking along the beach holding hands the mermaid told the man a joke and while he laughed she watched him and she couldn’t help but stare at his perfect teeth and how his left dimple was a little deeper than his right. She realized what she had been thinking and snatched her hand from him. “You have to leave now! I’ll end up killing you if you don’t.” the mermaid said. The man didn’t even flinch. “you wouldn’t do that, I can tell you love me and I love you too”. The man paused for a second and grabbed her hands. “I love everything about you”.  The mermaid snatched her hand away again and laughed. “I don’t need your love, my father is the god of the sea, my mother the goddess of the underworld, I was born to kill men, don’t underestimate me I’ll kill you with no hesitation.” The man laughed too. “If you were going to kill me you would have done it a long time ago.” That’s all the man had to say, the mermaid was furious she started singing loud and angry. The water started swaying calmly at first then all of a sudden roaring. After a couple moments the water got uncomfortably calm, then the man dropped.The mermaid ran to the man she kissed him and laid him on her. A tear falls from her eyes as she kisses his eyelids. “Death has reared himself a throne
In a strange city lying alone
    Far down within the dim West,
      Have gone to their eternal rest.“
    The mermaid gently soothes the man tangled black hair while he lays there slowly looking at death itself. The mermaid says “that was a quote from Edgar Allen Poe I’m sure you’ve heard of him, everyone has.