I Changed. For You. | Teen Ink

I Changed. For You.

October 25, 2015
By politicsandroses SILVER, San Jose, California
politicsandroses SILVER, San Jose, California
8 articles 0 photos 1 comment

I Changed. For You.

Truth: I like brown haired boys more than blonde guys.
I saw a picture today. Of you with blonde hair and piercings. To be honest, it bought a smile to my face. It was awesome (to say the least) that I saw you in a different color. But I knew you changed your hair color because someone told you I like “white guys”. Now, your version of a white guy entailed blue eyes, blonde hair, pale skin. I don’t like blonde hair. I loved your brown curly hair.

False: I will leave you for another white guy.
Three months, and eighteen days ago, I fell in love with a German boy. He was you. And it wasn’t because he was “white” or “European”. I remember your older brother, teasing me for acting distinctly “non-asian”. You yelled at him, and proclaimed that my heritage was beautiful and I had embodied the meaning of being an Asian wonderfully. It made my day.

Truth: From that day on, I’ve always fallen deeper in love.
As I said, it’s been three months. We’re teens, so it counts as forever. Soon after that day, we asked each other random questions every time we talked. The answers I got from you: you love the fall, you love the color brown, you hate making people sad, and you’d rather eat savory foods than sweets. My favorite answer: I don’t like girls with makeup, but if let’s say my girlfriend, aka you, wears lipstick and it somehow gets on my shirt, I wouldn’t mind.

False: I love you for your looks.
Most girls worry that their boyfriends like them just for their looks. (At least, I think so.) I don’t, because I’m not exactly the looker of the relationship. You are. Thus, I worry about losing you, and I worry that you think I love you for your looks. I don’t. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a perk. But it doesn’t really matter. Your personality is what I fell in love with. Your smile, and your excitability about anything. Also, how cute you are when you’re shy. That’s what I fell in love with.

So yes, you changed. Possibly for me. And yes, I’m asking you to change back. To my lovely boyfriend. The one with curly brown hair and hazel eyes and no piercings. Want another truth?
Truth: I love you.


The author's comments:

It's for a certain someone, as you can tell. It talks about change, something I think a lot of people do to make themselves better, but sometimes, it's not neccessary.