Lasting | Teen Ink

Lasting

January 6, 2015
By noahtunis BRONZE, Baltimore, Maryland
noahtunis BRONZE, Baltimore, Maryland
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Yesterday is history, Tomorrow a mystery, Today is a gift: that's why they call it the present.



                                                   Her
She has found out she loves him! Last night, he told her of his feelings, and she was painfully silent with shock and indecision. He left the apartment in tears. She didn't know what to do, but now she does! Her heart is full and soaring above her body in the heavens like a great sparrow, beautiful and graceful, free and roaming. She calls him on her mobile phone, and hears he is still heavy-hearted by his tone. She speaks gaily to him, asking where he is, telling him she has news, great news. He tells her to meet him at the cliffs, on the mountain at sunset. She knows this to be a spot of love in the town, with the most poignant, breathtaking, and pure beauty for miles around at the eve of day when the sun goes down, and so no spots of sadness or worry dares to cross her mind. She settles down to wait for that time, heart fluttering and flying still, full of a level of ecstatic joy and hope she has not felt in years!
                                                     Him
She doesn't and didn't and won't love him. Last night she made it clear. She has called him. She sounds happy, opposed to his despair. It figures, he thinks. She always was my opposite, and I thought she could be my other half, not my contrary. Not the yang to his yin but his mirror image, yet perfected and beautiful. She must have found a new man, that's how she is so happy. She wants to gloat, to rub in his face how much of a fool he has been all this time, to think she could love him too.
                                                   Her
It is close to sunset, and she is nearing the cliff. Running, in leaping bounds, toward him, his arms, his fresh, warm Irish scent, and his comforting demeanor and smile. She reaches the cliff, the edge, but sees no sign of him. Then, she sees him. When she looks down.. She begins to weep. She never got to say goodbye, to tell him of the things she really felt. Then, like the plays and novels she reads of true love, she falls. Her life had seemed to begin when first she fell into his arms those years ago. His warmth and love wrapped her up like a blanket in winter, and her life began anew, full of fresh joy. Now, his arms shall be her resting place forever more. In his arms her life began, and into them it will end, as is every true lover's ending.