Roseberry | Teen Ink

Roseberry

By TayyBarlow PLATINUM, Madera, California
TayyBarlow PLATINUM, Madera, California

"There is no exquisite beauty without some strangeness in the proportion."- Edgar Allan Poe

The sound of singing reached my ears. It was a low singing, like someone was doing it for fun, but not trying to draw attention. I listened for a moment, letting the words soothe my senses and ricochet off my heart strings. Rounding the corner of the brick building, I faced Jake.

Jake murmured softly. “If I go crazy then will you still call me superman?” He was lost in thought and aimlessly singing a favorite song.

“If I’m alive and well, will you be there holding my hand?” I boldly walked up to him, finishing the lyric. A smile lit up his face and he slung an arm around my waist.

“Ha, hey Jake.” Leaning against him, I slowly touched his hand on my waist. He intertwined his fingers in mine almost instantly. My delight at seeing him was soon dampened by a packet he had stuffed under his arm. I caught the words Military Opportunities: Marines in bold print.

It seemed to take all my willpower not to sigh aloud, but my shoulders slumped and Jake stopped walking. I dropped my eyes to the floor and hugged my arms closer around me, stroking his gentle hand. I felt his eyes on my solemn face and the packet in his hand rustled as he tightened his grip.

“Aw c’mon ‘Berry, I gotta go and you know that. I can’t afford college without it. I can’t make a life for us without it.”

“Can’t you do something else? Work a few years at the winery or something like that to save up some money.” Keeping my eyes on the concrete, I spun his class ring slowly.

“You know I can’t do that, my love.”

“But what if you die?” I blurted out. Immediately, I regretted saying such an awful thing. I was supposed to support him, not be a pessimistic complainer!

Jake’s silence unnerved me and churned my stomach. My mind screamed at me for being a selfish lowlife, but his reply interrupted it.

“I am going to fight to earn a living because I love you. I want the best for us, ‘Berry. Don’t every doubt that. I’m doing this for us. The love in my heart will keep me alive.” He turned me so that my body was in front of his and brushed my frizzy bangs to the side. His gray eyes were drowning me in love, honesty, and commitment.

Nodding, I gave a half-hearted smile. I fiddled mindlessly with the strings of his hoodie and collected my thoughts. He planted a kiss on my cheek and stayed close, pressing the side of his face against mine. My breathing slowed for a moment. His voice came out in a low rasp in my ear that sent my skin tingling and my heart pounding.

“I will always, always, return, Roseberry.”

Everyone has someone they love that has to leave someday.