Distance | Teen Ink

Distance

By AddisonP. BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut
AddisonP. BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut

The lights of the city shone over the water, reflecting in Drew’s eyes. Emily could tell something was off about him, as he usually couldn’t sit still. Now, it was as if he was a statue, his gaze fixed on the water, his cheek resting on top of his hand.
“Drew?” She said slowly. He looked up at her and rose from the chair he was sitting in. She felt small standing next to him, seeing as how she was a meager five and a half feet while he rose to nearly six. It hadn’t always been this way of course, when she met him nearly seven years ago, she was almost a foot taller than him. He walked closer until she was intensely aware he was less than an inch away from her. He turned ever so slightly to face back at the water, causing their arms to touch.
“The water’s pretty tonight.” He remarked. Emily wrinkled her eyebrows. Drew wasn’t usually one to notice beauty. She wasn’t sure if she should move away from him. It wasn’t an uncomfortable closeness; she’d been nearer to him seeing as how they were best friends.
“Are you feeling alright? Or do you need to go punch a wall or something to feel manly again.” She joked. His expression didn’t change.
“Em, I need to tell you something.” She felt her heart skip a beat and her palms begin to sweat. Drew almost never needed to introduce a statement. And suddenly she felt his head by hers, impossibly close. He was whispering in her ear, as if afraid to speak any louder.
“Emily, I love you. I have always loved you. Ever since the day we met, when I fell over on the playground and you were the only one to come help. I couldn’t help but be in love with you.” She felt his chest rising and falling against her, faster than normal. She realized he was whispering in a way where her nose and lips rubbed against his cheek.
“I can’t imagine my life without you,” he continued, “and if you were to move away or leave for college, thousands of miles away. I don’t know what I’d do with myself.” He sighed and she felt herself subconsciously lean into him. “And all these years, I’ve imagined kissing you, but I know I can’t. I know you’re leaving for Princeton this year. I know I need you here with me. But I also know I have to stop myself from wanting you.” He shut his eyes and began to take a step away before Emily turned her head a fraction of an inch. She felt the corner of her lips touch his.
“Too late.” She whispered before fully rotating her head and pressing herself to his lips.