Dimples Paradox | Teen Ink

Dimples Paradox

By ss.Heart SILVER, San Jose, California
ss.Heart SILVER, San Jose, California

You try you fail,you try you fail, but the only true failure is when you stop trying.

At around fifteen my daughter came and told me that she liked this boy and that he asked her out. As any mother of a teenager, I was kind of going nuts! But I tucked in all that and managed to get out a believable (can’t wait to meet him) look.
Six months passed and she never brought him home. I was starting to get worried, as any mother would! One day on asking her she replied that her boyfriends’ dad knew me and that it would be awkward. As stubborn as I was, I insisted on meeting the family. She finally agreed but said it was going to be at my own risk.
Their house was pretty big, and had a beautiful garden, that’s where I saw him, my high school boyfriend, only it’s like he hadn’t aged…he was watering a sunflower bush, my favorite. I approached him cautiously I felt like I stumbled on something wet, ignoring this I walked dreamily on as if in a trance. “John, John Marques is it really you? “ I whispered.
“Excuse me, Mrs. Dimples; you’re stepping on my hose.”
“Oh”, I sheepishly replied.
Reality kicked in a second later, impeccable timing I thought to myself.
“You must be Derek, Johns son.”
“Well nice to meet you Derek, might I say you look just like your father!”
“Yes, but Diana I looked better.
He said as he handed me a sunflower. Oh the same handsome smile, the same deep brown caramel eyes and that soothing voice that could make any women melt.
“I see you haven’t changed” I mumbled to myself.
“Neither have you Dimples” he chuckled.
“Alright you kids go do that, what is the modern term, “hang”?
“So how long have you known about this?” I asked.
“Oh, the day he laid eyes on her, I wanted him to choose right you know, and all I needed to know was the last name to know that she’s a keeper, you raised her well Dimples.”
“Derek too”, I said trying to take in all of what was going around me. It seemed almost too good to be true.
“They remind me of us you know, except I was more handsome”
“We never went out John, You were just an annoying person who wanted to go out with me but I was too cool for you.”
“Is that why you kissed me on the roof that night?”
“I don’t remember”, I said. I lied, I did remember that cool warm night the air was crisp we climbed up to the roof as we always did but that night was special the stars shined brighter that night he leaned over we were nose to nose .I still remember those words “Hey dimples what’s that you got on your face? “a Dimple” I whispered. It was the most passionate magical kiss ever I…wait snap out of it I told myself, he’s married, I’m married, this can’t happen! “It was really good wasn’t it?” John chuckled. “Oh please!” I said exasperatedly, I was thinking that it was time to go home. I said stiffly. He looked like a baby whose toy had been stolen. Disappointed he took my hand and said look my wife left me, your husband left you, but we’ve got each other. What do you say dimples? I couldn’t believe it! “I think it’s time for us to leave, good bye John.” I said as the car sank into the horizon the longest forlorn of nights had just commenced. I tossed and turned wondering, waiting, watching the night sky desperately searching for answers, a sign, anything.

ss.Heart SILVER, San Jose, California

hey guys let me know what you think :)