Now...and Forever | Teen Ink

Now...and Forever

By MakeMyWaffles GOLD, Cleveland, Ohio
MakeMyWaffles GOLD, Cleveland, Ohio

The road to success is always under construction. - Unknown (to me)
I have not failed. I've just found 1,000 ways that don't work for me. - Thomas Jefferson
So what are ninja babies just born invisible? - My BFF Quan

She was running faster than she ever had before, tails swinging wildly behind her, helping her balance herself when she should have fallen numerous time before. She was jumping logs and small creeks, desperately trying to get to him before it was too late. A branch sliced her cheek, and she flinched but kept on, her tears mixing with her blood.

"Aki!" She shouted hysterically, fox ears twitching atop her head, anxious to pick up any sound.

She burst into a clearing, and screeched to a halt, pupils dilating to pinpoint pricks at what she saw. Aki, her Aki, was lying in the middle of the field in a pool of his own blood.

And in that moment, she felt her heart burst like tiny fragments of glass in her chest.

She hung her head, body trembling in anger and despair. One harsh, heartbroken sob escaped her, then another, until she was echoing her sorrow across the clearing.

However, through her escalating cries, she heard a small whimper of pain. She froze, a sob lodged in her throat. A few moments later, a small voice reached her across the clearing.

"Miracle..."

She didn't even remember moving but suddenly she was kneeling beside him, brushing aside his crooked bangs for what she realized was probably the last time.

Lids lifted to reveal pain laced emerald orbs, and the smile she loved so much spread across his face. "Hello."

Miracle choked out a laugh though her tears. "Hi."

He shifted slightly and hissed, ears flattening against his head and eyes flashing blood red before settling back to green.

"Sorry you had to see me like this," he whispered, one hand reaching up to thread through her red hair the way he knew she liked it.

Miracle grabbed his hand, tears once again streaking down her face.

"This wasn't supposed to happen," he continued. "I promised I'd never make you cry again."

A sob exploded from her chest before she could stop it. A hand on her chin gently forced her to meet his eyes.

"But at least i got to see you one last time...my mini Miracle."

"You can't!" she finally said. "You can't leave me! You said we'd always be together, no matter what!"

He smiled, albeit a little weaker now. "Don't worry little one. This won't be the last time we meet."

Tear stained eyes searched his. "How do you know?"

His breathing was a bit labored now, but he still whispered, "Because I love you."

She gave a small, broken laugh. "Even when I was a little fox ling?"

He gave her a smile through his own tears. "Especially when you were a little fox ling."

"Well there are only two times I can love you."

He gave a small frown, eyes starting to cloud over. "Whens that?"

Miracle leaned over and whispered three words in his ear.

"Now...and forever."

And the answering smile he gave her as the light left his eyes could have rivaled the sun, the moon, and the stars combined.

I wrote this for my english class as a free write. I think it's pretty good.

MakeMyWaffles GOLD, Cleveland, Ohio

omg yay! thank you so much!!!

Allicat001 SILVER, Waukesha, Wisconsin

"Love is not someone you can live with, love is someone you can't live without."

"Always stand up for what's right even if that means you're standing alone."

This was a cute and touching story, I loved it!  Keep writing, you have talent :)