Forty-five Seconds | Teen Ink

Forty-five Seconds

April 9, 2012
By rae_bae GOLD, Knoxville, Tennessee
rae_bae GOLD, Knoxville, Tennessee
13 articles 3 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is short. Break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably! And never regret anything that made you smile..."


Sometimes you can see a person every day, but as soon as they leave you can't remember them at all. I saw him every day. We stood next to each other for 45 seconds. 45 seconds of our days. There may have been a point at which we could have started talking, but after six weeks of silent rides, it would have been awkward to break out routine. He always smelt nice though. Not in an over-powering cologne kind of way, more like a nice soap smelling kind of way. Some days he wore big, thick black-rimmed glasses. They were almost nerdy, but I thought they were adorable. I wonder what his name is. Maybe he was a Philip or maybe something more sensitive sounding, he does come to a hospital every day he must have a heart. Stephen? Jason? His name really didn't matter much. I think he may have caught me staring once. He yawned and stretched, revealing his smooth, tan stomach. And let me tell you: abs are everything. Soon our 45 second ride is over. I get off on level 7 and turn right. I go clock-in my volunteer hours. He exits the elevator along side of me and turns left. I have to admit, I have “accidentally” wandered that way during my shift. Hoping to “accidentally” bump into him. I never have been quite that lucky though. Sometimes I wonder who he's here to see. Maybe his grandmother is dying. Or maybe he has a little baby sister in the NICU. I hope he isn't visiting his sick girlfriend...Oh please Lord Jesus, let him not have a girlfriend!







.
.
.


I wonder if she notices me, probably not. She always has one ear bud in. She's probably singing away in her head. I'm the farthest thing from her mind. I wonder what kind of music she's listening to. Punk? Eh. Maybe Pop? Oh God, I hope not. Some Oldies? Classical? It's hard to fit her into a stereotype. She is the walking embodiment of contradictions. High tops with skirts and bandannas with dresses. I've seen it all from this girl. This girl with massive curls. This girl with freckles on every inch of her face. Maybe she does notice me. I swear I saw her looking at my stomach one day. She definitely liked what she saw, those abs workouts really paid off. I see her every day. She's always there at the same time I am. I visit my mom at 3:20 every day. She is in the psych ward here. I can't believe it's been 7 weeks. I hope she bounces back. Something just snapped inside of her. I always wish I could muster the confidence to speak to the girl in the elevator. But it gets harder and harder every time. What If I say the wrong thing? What if I come on too strong? What if she thinks I'm a creep. I mean we never talk and then suddenly one day I do? Weirdo. I don't want her to think I'm hitting on her. I mean look at her: five foot, skinny little thing, freckles. She's adorable. Maybe today is finally the day I say something to her. Maybe I will “accidentally” drop something. Yeah, I'm gonna do it. S***...did I put on deodorant this morning?







.
.
.


He really is quite adorable. No joke. I mean, look at those dimples, and that smile, his smile makes me melt. That's all I get, a casual smile when he sees me. I just want to get to know him. He's wearing jeans today with an indie band t-shirt. I like that band too. Maybe I could start up a conversation about them. But what if he doesn't really know them... it would just be awkward. Then he'd just be a poser. Oh gosh, please let him not be a poser.







.
.
.


She really must not know how beautiful she is. Can't she see how nervous she makes me? She stares at the ground, bites her lip, and messes with her hair. I want to talk to her, I just don't know what to say. I'd just say something stupid. Okay, I'll do it. I'm gonna talk to her today. Finally, this is the day.
*Floor 5*
Two more floors, my 45 seconds are almost up. I can do this. I talk to girls all the time. But she's different...Something about her makes me stop and think.
*Floor 6*
Okay, here I go:
“Hi, I'm Matthew.”







.
.
.


I was so surprised. It shocked me to hear him talk to me. Hadn't I been imagining this for weeks? I should be prepared. His voice sounded even better than I imagined it did. Wait, he said something to me. I should respond instead of standing here like a mute idiot.
“Hi, I'm Sydney.”


The author's comments:
My first fiction piece..and ironically, I got the idea while standing in an elevator.