Sam the Triangle | Teen Ink

Sam the Triangle

By EAR_SAP GOLD, Thomasville, North Carolina
EAR_SAP GOLD, Thomasville, North Carolina

Empty your mind, be formless… shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend…”

Once upon a time there was a boy named Sam. Sam was a triangle who lived in a triangle world. The rich had Equilateral bodies, the middle class had Isosceles and the poor had unequal scalene bodies. Unfortunately Sam had a scalene body. He lived with his dad Papa Scalene and his ugly dog Obtuse. He went to a school named Geometry High where the majority of the students were Equilateral triangles. Therefore, Sam was picked on everyday by the other triangles. They called him all sorts of mean names like parallelogram, uneven Steven and Try-No-Angles. The only person that was nice to Sam was a girl named Equalala was a gorgeous triangle with a perfect Equilateral body, right angle arms and to die for ray legs. Sam would ask Equalala out, but he thought he wasn’t worthy enough for her. Sam decided to leave his dad Papa Scalene, his dog Obtuse and Equalala, In search of someone that can fix his body. He told them that when he returns he would be a new triangle.

While looking for hours in the outskirts of Geometry land barely coplanar he bumped into an old isosceles triangle. When they bumped into each other the old triangle didn’t say anything he just studied same for a minute, then said “I can tell you are very worried, tell me is something troubling you.” Sam began to tell the old triangle his story. The old triangle grins and said “This is your Mrs. Right Triangle huh” Sam nodded and said “yes sir, will you be able to help me?” The old triangle nodded and said “yes I can heal you, but you must understand everything I say” Sam couldn’t be any more jubilant about the news. Sam uttered “what is your name sir”. The old triangle spoke and said “you can call me Arithmetic, now come along you have many things to learn if you want to be a better triangle.”

Sam followed Arithmetic into a bar where, they sat down and ordered some transversal shaped cookies and milk. As they ate there cookies Arithmetic spoke and said “you know life is a transversal, there’s always going to be a line in your path and all my ex-girlfriends are like vertical angles.” Sam had no idea what Arithmetic was talking about but, he just nodded as if he was agreeing. Arithmetic asked “Are you corresponding with Equalala or are you on the same-side interior as her?” Sam didn’t know how to respond; he spoke and said “I don’t understand what you’re asking”. Arithmetic asked a counter question “Is your mind and body an angle bisector?” Sam as before didn’t understand Arithmetic so, he just shrugged his angles. Then Arithmetic began to study and said “you know I once had a girlfriend, she acted identical to me, and therefore she was corresponding with me”. He looks at Sam’s flat plane body and said, “Do you think that was a good thing?” Sam responded “I guess that’s a good thing if you’re corresponding.” Arithmetic just shook his angles, “No that’s a terrible thing boy, this girl act exactly like me, she was ignorant, old and stubborn just like myself, you need a triangle that will complete you, a girl that will make your angles 180 degrees.” Sam was suddenly enlighten he understood, Sam then cried “So, I need a triangle to feel in my flaws.” Arithmetic said “yes boy, I need you to understand something else.”
“Do you think that all triangles are equal?” Sam replied “No, the rich are better than the poor and that’s the way it is.” Arithmetic had a horrifying look on his face that startled Sam. “ I don’t ever want to hear them despicable words come out your mouth, you’re dead wrong boy.” “ I don’t care if your Scalene, Isosceles or Equilateral in the end we all have 3 sides, 3 angles and are 180 degrees.” Sam was astonished he never looked at the triangle world in that way, Sam began to get angry, because of the way Arithmetic talked to him. Sam screeched “Just make me a new triangle already!” Arithmetic grinned and said “I have already enlightened your mind about your body, so you are a new triangle…. my son”. After that Arithmetic suddenly vanished into space. Sam then walked out the bar and you would think he was furious, but he wasn’t at all. As he walked home he just thought of his experience with Arithmetic his voice echoed in his mind (“I have already enlighten your mind about your body you are already a new person.”) When he got home his dad greeted him and said “well how did your journey go son do you feel brand new”. Sam replied “actual yes I do” ,though he felt terrible inside. He was dreading the day he had to see his crush Equalala.

The next day, at school, people picked on him, but he wasn’t hurt by their words. He still had his head up high. Then he saw Equalala, his heart sunk; she spoke and said “I thought you were going to be a new triangle when you returned.” Arithmetic words echoed in his mind. Sam replied “I have already been enlightened my body is an angle bisector with my mind, so I am a new triangle.” Equalala never heard words so deep and she fell in love with him on the spot.
The End

I wrote this for a geometry project and I think it's really good.