To Die For Love | Teen Ink

To Die For Love

By SkylerMorningstar GOLD, Barrie, Other
SkylerMorningstar GOLD, Barrie, Other

Boy how I hate funerals, they’re so depressing. Nathaniel thought while he sat listening to the sermon. He had asked his mom if he could leave, but no luck, she said no. Nathaniel didn't understand why he had to be there, he couldn't even remember who the person was that had died. Nathaniel's whole life he had been scared of dying, because that was all anyone seemed to talk about. When he was nine years old his parents had forgotten him at a funeral home, he was so scared he didn't sleep for weeks, and now that he's fifteen people would bug him, because he was so scared.

Finally the funeral was over. Nathaniel and his family got into their car to go home, and Nathaniel said, " why did I have to come? You know how I hate funerals."

"Well it's to show respect, darling," his mom said. "You know every one has to die sooner or later."

"Not me, I'm going to find away to live forever."

"Ha, that will be the day." His father said. "No one can live forever."

Nathaniel fell silent, but he vowed that day that he would find a cure for death and he would live forever.

For five years Nathaniel studied everything that had to do with death. Three days after his twentieth birthday his mother died, she had been getting weaker and weaker every year. The blow of the death was too much for Nathaniel. His mother was everything to him. He didn't leave his apartment for days and when it came to the funeral he couldn't bear to go to it.

Nathaniel finally reached his breaking point, he had to find a way to live forever.

While Nathaniel had been studying about death he had found something about some monks in the Himalayas that lived to a very old age. Nathaniel thought that would be the best spot to start with, so he packed his bags and left for the Himalayas. When he got there he hired a guide to take him up the mountain to the monastery. There he met a monk that was over a hundred years old. The monk said, "how can I help you?"

"My name is Nathaniel. My whole life I have been afraid of death and I would like to know how you live so long."

The monk was silent, finally he answered, "it is a great secret of the monks, we do not want it pelted by tourists and people wanting immortality."

"Please I beg you I cannot stand the fear of dying any more."

The monk believed that Nathaniel had good intentions so he said, "if I trust you, you must never tell a soul." Nathaniel nodded. "Our long lives come from the fountain of youth, I will take you to it if you like, but I must warn you with such a long life comes misery."

"I would like to go, there isn't much for me to leave behind. My mother is dead and my father has always despised me."

The monk took Nathaniel farther up the mountain to a cave, where the fountain of youth lay. "Drink the water and you will live forever," the monk said.

Nathaniel knelt by the pool of water, cupped his hands and dipped them into the water and drank. At once Nathaniel felt its power working; he felt more full of life than he ever had before.

"Take this," the monk handed him a dagger. "It is a jade dagger. If you use this dagger on yourself it will take your life and give it to anyone near you."

"I won't be needing that. Why would I ever want to give up my immortality?"

"Maybe for love." Without another word the monk took Nathaniel back down the mountain. At the monastery Nathaniel met up with his guide that had led him there and they went back to the village. The monk had told Nathaniel that he will never age and that he will never get I'll. No weapon can kill him except the jade dagger.

Instead of going home Nathaniel traveled the world for many years. He didn't want anything to do with his family. To him this was a new life. On Nathaniel’s trips he met many people, had lots of different jobs, and befriended many girls, but non of those things made him ever think of giving up his immortality. One day Nathaniel came back to his home town. He went into a restaurant that he had never seen before. Nathaniel sat down at a booth, and a waitress came by and said "can I take your order?"

"Yeah, I'll take the," Nathaniel looked up and was speechless. She was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. She must have been in her twenties with long black hair and red ruby lips.

"Are you OK?” she asked him.

"Oh yeah I'm fine, I was just caught by surprise."

"By what?" She smiled, because she thought that he was good looking too. Nathaniel had always been attractive, but because of his fear of death, girls were never really attracted to him.

"Just by your beauty."

"Wow. I don't know what to say to that."

"You only need to say one thing and that’s your name."

"It's Jade."

Nathaniel fell silent for a moment thinking of the jade dagger safely kept in one of his traveling bags. "What a beautiful name. I'm Nathaniel."

"Do you live around here Nathaniel?"

"No, I just came to visit."

"Oh, well I hope to see you again." Her smile fell a bit.

" What about tonight?"

"Okay, pick me up here at six."

"Alright it's a date." Nathaniel left and went back to his hotel. He laid on the bed holding the jade dagger. He didn't know what had come over him. She was just so beautiful and her smile, Nathaniel thought to himself. Her eyes are even the color of the jade knife. Maybe I should stay away from her. But Nathaniel couldn't do that. Six o clock came and he was there waiting for Jade.

"Where are we going?" She asked.

"Somewhere to match your beauty." Jade blushed. They walked a little ways and came to the park.

"What are we doing here?" Nathaniel clapped his hands, lights and music started playing.

"Having dinner." The night was beautiful, they sat there for hours, but everything needs to come to an end. Nathaniel took Jade home and went back to his hotel.

Nathaniel and Jade saw each other every day for four months, but Nathaniel wanted more. One night they were ice skating at the park where they had their first date. Nathaniel got down on one knee and held up a ring, instead of a diamond it had a jade stone in it. Nathaniel said. "With this piece of jade, will you marry me."

"Yes, I wouldn't want anyone else." They hugged each other. It was a small wedding, with just Jade's family. They moved into a small house and never left each others side. But not everything can last. Two years after their wedding Jade fell seriously ill. They went to the hospital. The doctor came into the room, and said, "I have some bad news." Nathaniel held tight to Jade. "You're dying and there is nothing that can stop it." The doctor told them that Jade had cancer and that it was to far along.

"But that can't be, she can't die."

"I'm sorry sir. There is nothing we can do."

"Don't worry doctor, Nathaniel just has problems with things like this. How long do you think I have?"

"A few days, a week at most."

Jade started to cry. "I would like to be at home."

"Well then I'll go sign you out and you can go home."

For four days Nathaniel tried to make Jade comfortable and never left her side, he just lied on the bed beside her holding her hand. On the fifth day she said, "Nathaniel." He looked at her face, she was white, her lips were dry and cracked. "It's time I can feel it."

"No I need you." He was crying.

"I know, but there’s nothing we can do. If only they could have saved our baby."

"You never told me, how long."

"Two weeks, I was going to tell you, but I got sick."

"If I can't live with you there is no reason for me to live." Nathaniel got off the bed and looked under it. He grabbed a box and pulled out the jade dagger. "Live and have our baby and tell her how much I love you both." With those last words Nathaniel plunged the dagger into his stomach. suddenly the air grew cold and lights were moving between them. Jade felt better, but sad to lose Nathaniel. She called the ambulance and they took him away. The police looked for him in the records, but only found one person, it was an article about a missing person who would have died fifty years ago. Jade lived and had their baby girl and named her Skyler, because she and Nathaniel would look up at the sky and dream. Jade buried Nathaniel in the park in the same spot that they had their first date. She and Skyler went there almost every day and looked up at the sky dreaming of life with Nathaniel.

The End

on Sep. 9 2012 at 4:27 pm
ToraNoKage SILVER, Unavailable, Other

Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.

<333 good job <333

boricua505 said...
on Aug. 14 2012 at 4:49 pm
this is really really good!! i honestly dont think you should quit. its really depressing thou. but i liked it alot!!  

on Apr. 4 2012 at 8:41 am
SkylerMorningstar GOLD, Barrie, Other
yeah well should :)

BrianaK BRONZE said...
on Mar. 15 2012 at 10:12 am
BrianaK BRONZE, Waterford, Wisconsin

" Keep Believing"

This is really sad and good. We should talk on pipad.

Becca17 GOLD said...
on Mar. 15 2012 at 10:10 am
Becca17 GOLD, Belleville Ontario, Other

“Seven Deadly Sins:
Wealth without work
Pleasure without conscience
Science without humanity
Knowledge without character
Politics without principle
Commerce without morality
Worship without sacrifice.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

really love it

on Feb. 5 2012 at 7:27 pm
HiddenAngelInTheDark PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

Theres so many that I can't pick sorry

I love it it's so amazing yet sad

on Feb. 3 2012 at 12:51 pm
starbucks_queen21 BRONZE, Belmont, New Hampshire

"Strength is nothing more than how well you hide the pain!"

this was really sad!! But I really did like it! :)

Mani2x SILVER said...
on Jan. 27 2012 at 10:19 am
Mani2x SILVER, Chicago, Illinois

I was born an original, I'm not going to die a copy.

This is great. Like really great. It should have went in thee magazine. ;) I marked it as one of my favorites. =)

VeronicaAnn. said...
on Jan. 25 2012 at 2:50 pm
VeronicaAnn., Brunswick, Ohio

"Tell Me When You Feel My Silence." -Possibility ~ Lykke Li

Very Emotional && Interesting..!! I Like It. :D 5-Out-Of-5 Stars From Me. c:

butterfly123 said...
on Jan. 25 2012 at 11:30 am
butterfly123, Banglore, Other
hey! amazing piece! 5/5 from me. :D