Life After The Summer | Teen Ink

Life After The Summer

May 29, 2011
By Tayrodactyl PLATINUM, Palmyra, Indiana
Tayrodactyl PLATINUM, Palmyra, Indiana
20 articles 1 photo 62 comments

After the concert my grandma didn’t say anything. Not because she was angry, but because she had miraculously fallen asleep. My grandpa had seen and heard everything, but he was too cool to mention it. He didn’t want me to get in trouble. So I got away with all of it. This was the summer that changed everything.


Sadly all good things must come to an end, even in a story like this. Two days were left before I had to go home. I had begged my grandma to let me move in with her, but she was still thinking about it. I didn’t want to go back home. I couldn’t leave now. Not when I had just met someone who actually cared about me. This place was exactly where I belonged.


I snuck out to see him on what could possibly have been my last night with him. He was sitting on the dock as usual, but this time he brought his guitar. He didn’t know I was leaving soon. I let him think I was staying a little longer. I let him enjoy our last few hours while he played music and we sang. It’s when he started to play “Miserable at Best” by Mayday Parade that I lost it. I cried. I couldn’t help it.
“What is it? What’s wrong?” He asked me, worried.
“I think tonight… is my… last night…” I whispered in between sobs.


He didn’t say anything. He just held me for a while. I told him that there was the very slim chance that I could possibly stay, but my grandma hadn’t told me yet. He just continued his silence. It was as good as over. Our hearts were breaking together. Neither one of us was ready to say good-bye, but the sun had to come up sometime. At four in the morning I told him I had to go.
“I don’t care if I have to wait until next summer to see you. I’ll wait. I could wait forever.” He whispered in my ear.


I felt more tears in my eyes. I didn’t want to go. I didn’t, but I had to. We said that we loved each other and I left. I walked home and when I got there I snuck up to the room I shared with Kerry, thinking that this would be the last time that I would be able to do this. I laid down and tried not to cry again.


When I woke up it was about ten in the morning. Kerry was already downstairs. I got up and slowly trudged down the stairs. I was greeted by Kerry’s squeals of happiness. I was confused, usually when I left she was so depressed she made us late…
“Taylor! Taylor! Oh my god! You won’t believe it! Your mom said you could live here!” Kerry yelled.
“What…?” I felt faint.


My grandma and Kerry explained the great, no, spectacular news to me. I was staying. I was going to stay and go to school with my cousin and Ben. NO FRIGGIN’ WAY.


That night was the best one I ever had. Ben was on the dock. He had actually gone to the dock. He was serious about waiting for me.
“Why are you here?” I asked.
“I was thinking about you of course.” He said, startled to see me.


I stood there, looking into those gorgeous eyes of his. He smiled and then scooped me into his arms. I knew I was home, and that life after this summer could only get better.


The author's comments:
The End.