The Smallest Thing | Teen Ink

The Smallest Thing

August 11, 2010
By Eatfoodzap SILVER, Winchester, Massachusetts
Eatfoodzap SILVER, Winchester, Massachusetts
5 articles 2 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. But if you can overcome the sacrifice and make it your own, you will gain an irreplaceable Fullmetal heart."- Edward Elric


She was running freely for the first time in ages. There was no war to fight, no places to go, no diplomats to meet, no burdens at all. A gleeful laugh escaped her lips as she twirled around, relishing the feel of soft grass under her bare feet after many long years of trekking over rough, hostile ground. Her light blue dress fanned out around her, and a light breeze gently combed through her hair and caressed her cheek. The air around her smelled like the many cherry-blossom trees surrounding the field. She turned back and, without a word, beckoned for her companion to join her. Her smile grew wider as he kicked off his shoes, the wind ruffling his already-scruffy hair. When he caught up to her, she immediately laced her fingers through his. Their eyes met, and the corners of his mouth turned upward slightly, the first time in a long time. It wasn’t even a full smile, and if you didn’t know him as well as she did, you wouldn’t have noticed it. It was so very small, yet at that moment, it meant the most in the world to her.


The author's comments:
This is so very short...but I do rather like it. The prompt was "The smallest thing that meant the most..."