Unexpected: Chapter One | Teen Ink

Unexpected: Chapter One

August 21, 2010
By sbear406 GOLD, Summit, New Jersey
sbear406 GOLD, Summit, New Jersey
10 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials.
Read more at


It was summer, and I was dreading another boring vacation I was forced to take with my family. Sure, for a day or two it's fine, but after that, I start to go crazy. We were traveling to the Bahamas for a four day trip during the summer, which wasn't too long. I was excited to start my tanning. After a cold, snowy winter in New Jersey, one can only be so tan.

My dad booked a luxury hotel on the island, one that many of the celebrities travel to. When we arrived in the afternoon, they took our luggage, but we were informed our room was not yet ready due to the fact that we were early. With time to spare, we took the elevator to the twelth floor where there was a fancy snack bar consisting of freshly baked cookies, raw vegetables with dip, fruit, water with lemons, and many other treats. My sister and I both grabbed a bowl of the vegetables with dip and joined our mom, dad, and younger brother on the terrace that overlooked the resort's pool as well as the ocean. The view was beautiful.

A middle-aged man wokring at the hotel joined us on the terrace to ask if he could help us with anything. We told him we were content, thank you and not too long after, my parents started a conversation with him. We learned that he name was Demarion, was a born and raised in the Bahamas and he had been working for this resort, The Cliffs for five years. He told us about the island and some fun activities we could do there such as snorkeling. As they talked, all I could think about was one thing...the celebrities.

I was always fascinated with celebrities, constantly staying up to date on the current gossip. My best friend Kayla and I consistently chatted about our teen idols and dreamt about one day becoming famous ourselves. So, in the hopes of meeting a celebrity here, I brought up the question.

"Are any famous people here now?" The Bahamian native glanced over at me and smiled.

"Well, as a matter of fact, Codey Sky is currently vacationing here. He is actually staying in this hotel."

"Omigosh." I replied in shock. I was hoping for someone famous to be here, but Codey Sky? Could this day get any better?

"I take it you know who that is," the man chuckled.

"He is only like...there are no words. Have you met him?" I hopefully wondered.

"Yes, I have. He has been here for about three days and he always comes up here for a snack around three o'clock," he informed me. I grabbed my mom's arm and looked at the golden watch she had on. It was twelve thirty. In two and a half hours Codey Sky would be here. I was already planning our meeting, but first, I needed our room to be ready so I could pretty myself up for him.

"Mom, Dad, when will our room be ready?" I shouted at them.

"They said in an hour. It's already been forty-five minutes. We may as well head back down in a minute," my dad stated. When my family finished munching, we left the snack room, but I could not leave without thanking the employee who told me all about Codey.

"Thanks so much! You will definitely be seeing me here at three!" I exclaimed. I threw my arms around him and then rushed out of the room.



"Hi, is our room ready?" asked my father.

"What's the name?" the woman at the front desk asked.

"Robertson."

"Ah, why yes, it is ready. How many room keys will you need?"

"Five would be great. Two for ours and then three for their room."

"Alright, five it is then, Mr. Robertson," the woman replied with enthusiasm. She handed us the keys which had a picture of the resort stamped on them and immediately got onto the elevator which would take us to floor seven. Our room was number seven hundred and sixty four. Easy enough.

When we reached the seventh floor I ran out of the elevator to the right.

"Dylan, where are you going?" shouted my little brother, Blaise.

"What?" I asked in an annoyed tone.

"Our room is to the left." Quickly I turned around and ran to our room. My brother opened the door and I entered. It was Julia, Blaise, and me in this room, and my parents in the room next door. Our suitcases were already there and I grabbed mine, flinging it down on the ground, as though I was about to perform CPR on it.

"Chill, Dylan," Julia said.

"Excuse me? Are you not aware that Codey Sky is here? How on earth can I chill when my future husband is in this hotel?" I barked back.

"You're sort of a creepy stalker," she accused.

"Ugh, whatever," I exhaled. I rummaged through my suitcase, trying to find something decent to wear when I realized I probably shouldn't overthink it. I mean, if I get all dressed up, then Codey will know I was expecting to see him and therefore trying to impress him.

"Okay, I better put on something simple, something you would wear to a day at the beach," I thought out loud. I found a white cover up I'd recently purchased at the mall. It was very beachy. I could definitely wear this. I just needed to put on a pair of flip flops and my bathing suit underneath. I proceded by putting on the bikini I'd purchased last summer. The top was navy blue with a giant yellow anchor on the left side and the bottom was just plain navy blue. Very cute. I threw it on and put the cover up over it. It was now one thirty. I had plenty of time, but I also wanted to be there a bit early. The next step was my hair. I pulled out my hot pink hair straightener from my carry on. I payed one hundred dollars for it, and it was worth every penny. I then took out my turquoise brush, and brushed through my tangled hair. When my hair was no longer in a horrible knot, I plugged in the straightener and waited only a minute before it was fully heated. Taking a strand of hair at a time, I straightened each section until it was totally flat, making sure not to miss a piece. When my hair was flat, I switched off the straightener and put it away.

Looking in the mirror, I pursed my small lips, thinking what to do with my face. I figured I should go natural, without any makeup. I mean, it's better that Codey sees what I really look like and like me for me. Was I overthinking this? This guy wasn't going to go for me. What was I thinking? He was a hot celebrity with millions of beautiful girls chasing after him, and I was definitely not one of the beautiful ones. Saddened by this thought, I decided that what I was doing was foolish and unrealistic so I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't pursue Codey. Anyhow, I continued getting read for the rest of the day by putting a dab of concealer on my few blemishes. It was early in the day, only one forty-five. I decided to take a walk on the beach by myself and mope in my self-pity. Some alone time is always good. I put on my new Ray Bans, picked up my room key and told my siblings I'd be back soon-ish, only to hear my sister shout something as the door closed behind me.

"You're going looking like that?" Typical.


I left the hotel and took the paved path to the beach. The water was crystal clear and the sun was beaming down on it. I took off my black flip flops and held them in my hand. I then took a step forward and felt the softness of the Bahamian sand. I started walking slowly down the small beach, right next to the water. I let it rinse up upon my feet. It wasn't cold, but refreshing. I continued walking along the water when suddenly I heard some shouting and then something hit me, resulting in me embarrassingly falling to the ground. Luckily, the sand was soft and so the fall didn't hurt. But what caused it? I looked up, and standing over me was Codey Sky.

"Are you alright?" he asked, sounding concerned. It seemed that he was attempting to catch a football he and his friend were throwing around on the beach.

"Yeah, I'm fine. My sunglasses weren't so lucky though," I replied. He let out a chuckle. I was proud to have made him laugh.

"Sorry about that," he said.

"Oh, don't worry about it."

"I'm Codey," he introduced himself. I acted as though I didn't recognize him.

"Hi, I'm Dylan, it's nice to meet you," I said as he held out his hand to pull me up from the ground.

"I'm truly sorry. I owe you a pair of sunglasses."

"Really, it's fine," I tried to convince him.

"Nah, come on with me. I'll buy you a new pair." He put on a sandy white shirt, covering up his toned abs and arms. Then started to walk away.

I stood there in silence.

"You coming?" he asked. He stopped to wait for me.

"Oh, yeah sorry. I'm right behind you."


TO BE CONTINUED