The Legend of Tricia Altus | Teen Ink

The Legend of Tricia Altus

June 17, 2010
By DancerBabe SILVER, Tuscarawas, Ohio
DancerBabe SILVER, Tuscarawas, Ohio
9 articles 2 photos 55 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." -Eleanor Roosevelt
"Bad writers plagerize, good writers steal!"


Her name was Tricia Altus, but everyone called her Angelus Camena, or Angel Song. No name could've suited her better. Her voice could cleanse any black heart and heal any sore. That is exactly what she did. Her family was royalty, but she spent her life among the common people. Angelus went across every land healing the sick with her amazing voice.

One day, when Angel was traveling though a wooded area, her caravan was ambushed by rebels wanting to dethrone her father, the king. As all her protectors fell around her, she snuck away and hid in some brush. The rebels searched for her, but her hiding spot was good and they soon gave up. Angel then started walking. She headed north toward Tall Timberton. It was only about half-a-day's journey, but it took her till nightfall.

When she could finally see the small town, she was tired and hungry. Angel hoped a kind soul would give her shelter. Luckily, at a house on the outskirts of the town, there was a young man in his barn, doing chores. The man jumped knocking over his milk bucket, when he saw her.

He knew exactly who she was. She asked for food and shelter. The man ushered her inside, wrapped her in a blanket, and fed her. After she had ate, they sat beside his fireplace, explaining their lives.

His name was Conner and he lived in this house, alone. He farmed the land around the house. He was also the sheriff of Tall Timberton. When it was her turn to share, she told Conner about the ambush, hiding in the brush, and walking to Tall Timberton. Conner told her she could stay the night here, then tomorrow they would go into town and ask if anyone was going to the capital city. They stayed up late into the night, talking. When Angel fell asleep in her chair, Conner carried her to his spare room and tucked her into the bed.

The next morning, they set off into Tall Timberton to find Angel a ride home, but no one was going there anytime soon. Conner decided to take her there himself. Angel was enjoying herself with Conner and even though she knew it was her duty to cure the people in what would soon be her kingdom, but she couldn't pull herself away from him and his caring ways. After three happy days, Angel decided she needed to go back to her parents and take up her responsibilities again.

The trip to the capital took two days. During the middle of the second day, Conner was off gathering supplies, when they were set upon by bandits. Angel was forced to hide once again. When Conner returned, he tried to fight off the bandits, but he was outnumbered. The bandits stole all they could, and left Conner lying on the ground. Angel crept from her hiding spot, horrified. She saw Conner lying on the ground and she knelt down beside him. Angel did the only thing she could: sing. She started with The Holly and The Ivy and went straight into Amazing Grace, and from there into Why Does the Willow Tree Weep, never stopping. She then held Conner as tight as she could.

She felt his breathing start to pick up again and he opened his eyes. He was still weak, so Angel loaded up what the bandits didn't take into their wagon and led the horses on to the capital. She kept her hood up as she went through the city, and only when she got to the castle gates, did she put it down. The men on the wall recognized her at once and quickly lowered the bridge. Angel stopped the wagon inside the courtyard, and sent for her father. She helped servants carry Conner to the infirmary. She stayed there with him until the nurse found her and told her she must leave. She sang one last song to Conner and kissed him on the forehead.

She went to her father and as soon as he saw her, he wrapped her in a huge hug. The king was elated that she had returned home, alive. Angel told her parents of her long and dangerous journey. She also told them of Conner: of his bravery and hospitality. The king and queen both agreed that Conner should be knighted, as soon as he was well again.

Within a few days, Conner was well again and there was a knighting ceremony. After the ceremony and feast, there was also a ball in his honor. During this ball he danced most of the night with Angel. During a break for the orchestra, Conner took Angel out to the gardens. There he got down on one knee and asked for her hand in marriage. She jumped up and hugged him. The two went back inside to tell the king and queen, who were both overjoyed that Angel had chose a wonderful man. Angel and Conner soon got married and they both lived happily ever after.


The author's comments:
I wrote this for one of my best friends. There is some latin in this story.