Chinese For Dinner | Teen Ink

Chinese For Dinner

June 11, 2010
By JadedHeart GOLD, Somewhere, Georgia
JadedHeart GOLD, Somewhere, Georgia
10 articles 0 photos 37 comments

Another date with some strange man. How am I going to be able to turn another man down for a second date. See, my best friend Lora likes to hook me up with her husband’s “Pals”. So far none of them are even remotely okay. And that says a lot, because I can stoop down very low. When it comes to guys though, I have to have a loving supporting guy. Right now, this is my sixth date with all different guys. This date smacks his food like a cow and them puts in a pouch of dip when he is about to kiss me goodnight! I run up into my apartment and slam the door behind me.
What was Lora thinking with this one? Honestly? I thought to my self as I pick up the phone and climbed onto the counter just to sit there while ordering my Chinese dinner.
“Hung He’s Chinese. How may I help you?” Spoke a Chinese man known as Pong.
“Yeah, hey Pong this is Anna. I want two number seven’s a number eight with no onions and…two…number fours.” I said through the phone while squinting my eyes and wrinkling my nose up to think.
“Okay Misses Anna. Zachary will be right over with your order.” he said and you could here the man smiling.
“No Pong, why can’t Chiang bring it over? I am kind of tired of men.” I said, hoping he would just let his son Chiang bring me my dinner.
“Yes Misses Anna. Zachary is my only delivery man today. Oh, by the way, Anna how many people are eating with you?” asked Pong. You could hear his Chinese accent.
“Just me Pong. I guess I will see Zachary here soon, right?” I asked as I jumped off of the counter and onto the floor.
“ Okay! Goodbye Misses Anna!” and with that Pong hung up the phone.

Exactly ten minutes later I stood behind the door waiting for Zach to appear. Finally, there he was.
“Hello Anna.” Said Zach as I opened the door.
“Hey Zach, how is Eliah?” I asked, asking about his girlfriend always helps.
“Fifteen Eighty-Five. We broke up. I see that Lora had you another date tonight.” said Zach as I handed him a twenty.
“Aw, Zach I am so sorry. But yeah, this guy smacked his food at dinner so I lost my appetite. Oh, keep the change. Do you want to come in and talk?” I asked as I tied my rob together.
“It’s okay. Really? That is terrible, hey you don’t mind do ya?” Zach said as he walked into my apartment and plopped the food on my table.


Zach pulled out a box of Chinese chicken and noodles. He opened the box, then we both pulled out the chop sticks, and sat on the couch. We dug into the chicken and noodles so fast.
This has become our ritual every time I have a date and every time he gets dumped.
“So what happened exactly tonight at that date?” Zach asked as he turned sideways. I had a strand of my long, pitch black hair in my food. He pulled my hair out of the food and then stared at me. Neither one of us moved an inch. Then he kissed me. I mean a long, passionate kiss. I thought he was going to run then. But he didn’t just a kiss and then back to eating.
I told him everything, even at the end when he put that pouch in of dip. After I finished he stood up and walked to the door.
“I guess I will see you next time right?” I asked Zach as he leaned into me and kissed me.
“Yep, next time.” He said and walked out the door. We had finished all of the Chinese I had ordered.


The author's comments:
A woman who sees her life as doomed by ugly men. finally falls for her favorite restaurant's delivery man.