Julia Chapter 1 | Teen Ink

Julia Chapter 1

By OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania
OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

I rolled out of my bed with the pained groan of a much older lady, and glared at the offending sun. It slanted through my skylight and struck my eyes, waking me more successfully than any alarm clock.

“Julia!” My mom called impatiently. “You’re going to be late for school!” School. Ugh. Why couldn’t it be Saturday?

I dragged myself to the mirror to study my face before I dressed. I had a very…unique appearance. My hair was midnight black and cut short just beneath my chin. My skin was the porcelain of one of those fragile china-dolls, a fact I resented. I hated looking fragile.

Full, rose-bud lips were frowning in distaste under a small, delicate nose. Upswept eyebrows and long, dark, curling lashes helped to accent my most prominent feature—my eyes. They were a vivid, shocking blue, the kind only found in contacts. Many people had asked me where I had gotten “those gorgeous contacts” and been offended when I replied that my eyes were natural, thinking I simply didn’t want to tell them. I honestly didn’t know how I’d gotten blue eyes. My mom’s were a warm hazel, not even close. I had no clue what my father’s eyes looked like. I’d never met him.

I loathed him. Loathed him for leaving my mom and me right after I was born, for leaving us to fend for ourselves. Luckily, my mom had found both a job and a husband. I didn’t live poorly. But I knew how close we had been. And I resented my unknown biological father for being the reason that happened.

Sighing, I made my way over to the small, pale-wood dressers and picked out my clothes for the day: a pale blue cami that was cut rather low, and a short, ruffled silver skirt that didn’t even reach mid-thigh. When I finished, I picked out a thin silver necklace and dangling blue earrings to match. Turning to look at my reflection, I smirked. Screw the dress code.

I strutted down the stairs and into the kitchen, where my mom and stepdad sat. Unlike most kids with divorced parents, I hated my biological father and got along fine with my stepdad. It seemed like I scarcely knew him, despite being in the same house for thirteen and a half years, but we got along.

Looking at the two sitting next to one another, I couldn’t help but think how weird their relationship was. They didn’t seem to love each other. I mean, they weren’t fighting or anything. But not once in more than thirteen years could I remember them hold hands, kiss, give an affectionate word or glance. They were perfectly friendly, yet they seemed more like two roommates than a married couple.

Also, the guy—Stefan—would look at me, and he would get this protective air. Not, like, ask me if I was dating somebody like a normal father. He would look as if he were about to leap in front of a bullet for me, which was strange considering our somewhat distant relationship.

Still, I have to say, I was lucky just to have two parents who made enough money for us to live decently and who weren’t cruel or uncaring. That was more than some could say.

“Hey, Mom,” I greeted casually, and she smiled. I’ve always thought of my mom as beautiful. Her golden-brown hair fell like a sheet around her shoulders, her skin was slightly pale but not albino like me, and her strawberry lips were made to smile. When she grinned or laughed, her warm hazel eyes glowed, and anyone nearby would warm at the sight. Even me, her cold-hearted daughter.

“Good morning, Julia” she said in her soft, gentle alto voice, so different from my piercing soprano. “Are you hungry? We’ll need to leave for school soon.” It was already 7:15, and I had to be at school by 7:40. I had the option of taking the bus, which squeaked by my house at 7:10, but the bus was noisy, loud, and full of kids I either didn’t know or disliked. Plus, I liked my sleep. So my mother drove me to school every day.

“I’ll just grab a bar,” I replied. I honestly wasn’t very hungry, but my mom got upset if I didn’t eat anything for breakfast. After all, it was the “most important meal of the day.”

“I’ve got to leave for work, Nesa,” my dad told her. He worked at the bank, but didn’t have a very intense schedule. It just started very early.

My mom nodded. “Bye, Stefan,” she said. No kiss. No hug. No “Good luck!” or “See you!” Just bye. I sighed and shook my head.

“Ready to go, honey?” she asked uncomfortably. She clearly knew I’d witnessed this scene.

“Sure,” I said casually, slinging my bag over my shoulder and heading out the door.

Gym Class. Ugh. I hate Gym Class. It’s not that I’m bad at sports—quite the contrary. But the beginning was terrible.

Some genius had decided it would be a great idea to spend the first ten minutes of a forty five minute period shooting hoops. Don’t see how it’s so bad yet? Well, there’s about one hundred people in each gym class, and it’s a total free for all. No rules. No organization.

And anyone who doesn’t want to participate in this “fun” gets to walk around the perimeter of the gym—for ten minutes. Of course, that’s also while dodging flying missiles going several miles an hour. Many kids’ noses have gotten bloodied, one was even fractured, and yet the gym teachers still persist in their “healthy activity.” Man, those guys are idiots.

Me, I was one of those walk around for ten minutes avoiding off-target basketballs kind of people. I was actually pretty good at basketball, but I didn’t feel like immersing myself in the morass of sweat and yelling and testosterone. So I walked.

I’d been doing this for a good—well, not good—three minutes when it happened. I wasn’t paying attention. A couple hot-shot boys were trying to make the ball in the hoop from the middle of the gym—and were failing miserably. In frustration, they started chucking the balls with all their strength, and missing the hoop by an even larger margin. It was one of these off-target balls that came zooming straight at me. It must have been going like forty miles an hour. Time seemed to slow down. Everything was strangely muted. I turned around and glimpsed my approaching death—or at least broken nose.

This and the excerpt Aging Love are all I've written of this piece but I think I might have a good story.

on Dec. 17 2010 at 11:12 pm

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
-Randy Pausch

Haha thanks! :D

Leann14 GOLD said...
on Dec. 17 2010 at 9:32 pm
Leann14 GOLD, DeGraff, Ohio
its freaking amazing! im so jealous now lol.

on Aug. 17 2010 at 6:05 pm

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
-Randy Pausch

Haha thanks:D I've already written more.

on Aug. 17 2010 at 5:55 pm
NeverFallTooHard PLATINUM, Hartford, Wisconsin

Reason is powerless in the expression of Love.~ Rumi
Realisim, in painting, is what one wants to see, not what they really see. ~ Janet Fish

Lexie, this is amazing! keep going, please!

on Aug. 17 2010 at 5:06 pm

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
-Randy Pausch

Haha thanks:D That WOULD be an interesting twist, although unfortunately that's not what happens.  And it's probably 'cause I asked for people to read my novel more than I asked them to read this. *shrugs* Whatever. I really enjoy writing this, because in her perspective I get to be as rude and sarcastic as I want.:D

We-R-3 BRONZE said...
on Aug. 17 2010 at 5:02 pm
We-R-3 BRONZE, Orlando, Florida

A picture is worth a thousand words, however it takes a real artist to turn words into pictures.

Have you heard about the new Lebron Iphone, you have to set it on vibrate because it doesn't have any rings

You can ignore the next couple of sentences if you want.

And out of the blue Stefan jumps in and takes the bloody nose.

Where did you come from

I HAVE NO IDEA AT ALL.

This is a great story Iam very suprised this is not as popular as your novel because it has the same amount of talent and effort. I believe this to be one of the best realistic teenink pieces I have ever read and I am not saying that as anything but truth. You left an awesome awesome awesome cliffhanger yet at the same time it is relistic and the type of thing a normal person will expect. love it 150/10

J7X team

on Jul. 27 2010 at 3:40 pm

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
-Randy Pausch

Thanks!:DI've written most of the second part of this chapter.

on Jul. 27 2010 at 1:21 pm
dreamer112 GOLD, Burnsville, Minnesota
I really think you have a good idea here. You should write more of this!

on Jul. 21 2010 at 6:29 am

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
-Randy Pausch

Haha thank you so much!  I'm only currently working on one, but this and the excerpt Aging Love are from a novel I may or may not write.  I have some of it in my head, so I decided to write down the beginnning.

Erudite GOLD said...
on Jul. 21 2010 at 4:06 am
Erudite GOLD, Rawalpindi, Other

trust your heart
if the seas catch fire
(and live by love
though the stars walk backward)

wow...i love this character you've created and i love your style of writing! please continue! i've read most of your stories and lemme tell you, they are awesome! keep up the good work! anyways, how many novels are you working on/need to work on nowadays? you seem to have many stories! :D like i said, great job!

on Jul. 17 2010 at 7:08 pm

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
-Randy Pausch

Don't worry, I wasn't offended:)

Lorelei SILVER said...
on Jul. 17 2010 at 6:57 pm
Lorelei SILVER, Newport News, Virginia

"Nothing is ever easy"- Zeddicus Zul Zorander, copied by Richard Rahl

i do like it.though.

on Jul. 13 2010 at 5:49 am

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
-Randy Pausch

Thanks! You're pieces were really good, thougH:)

on Jul. 12 2010 at 11:06 pm
respecturself7 SILVER, Medina, New York

There is a natural law in life to settle.....I broke that law ~Katherine Hepburn
Love, Is the severest of mental diseases~U.K.
Spinning always spinning....when life puts me down I'll give you a call~respecturself7

I really like this! I def think you should continue. you hv such a great way with words. I wish i could manipulate them half as well.

on Jul. 11 2010 at 8:51 pm

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
-Randy Pausch

Well, it's the first part of the first chapter of a novel I may or may not write.  I don't know if this one part is supposed to have a "point".

Lorelei SILVER said...
on Jul. 11 2010 at 8:49 pm
Lorelei SILVER, Newport News, Virginia

I like it, but i'm wondering what the point is. I guess i'll get it after more shows up.

on Jul. 4 2010 at 5:09 pm

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
-Randy Pausch

Thank you!  I was trying to make it seem realistic, at least, minus Caif:)

ELM522 DIAMOND said...
on Jul. 4 2010 at 10:48 am
ELM522 DIAMOND, Selden, New York

"All those other girls, well they're beautiful, but would they write a song for you?"-"Hey Stephen" by Taylor Swift

I enjoyed this piece. I love your choice of vocabulary and observant decriptions. It actually felt legit!

on Jul. 2 2010 at 4:53 pm

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
-Randy Pausch

Of course I'll read it!  And thank you!  I'm probably continuing this, but right now I'm working on my novel Red as Coals, Black as Night-could you check out and comment on what I've posted on here?

on Jul. 2 2010 at 3:46 pm
A.C.Worsham GOLD, Cocoa, Florida

"We can't just slay the dragon with our bear hands!"
"Yeah, we need gloves!"
-Spongebob

I really really loved this article. I love how it was written, the details, everything. In the beginning when it talks about what woke her up was a great attention getter and kept me reading. Julia reminds me A LOT of one of the characters I wrote about. Their personalities are very similar. Its not on teenink yet (just submitted), but could you read it when it comes on? It will be called A time Travellers Tale.

Anyways I'm writing a novel here :) Please keep writing this story!