I Dreamt I Could Fly; Chapter 8 | Teen Ink

I Dreamt I Could Fly; Chapter 8

By unwrittenlove DIAMOND, Mount Berry, Georgia
unwrittenlove DIAMOND, Mount Berry, Georgia

"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be" -anonymous

The next day, I was awoken by the ring of my phone. Uttering a harsh sound from my lips I groped the table for my phone. I grabbed it and pressed the speaker button.

“What?” I grumbled.

“Grace is that you?” Miranda called out from the other side.

“Yeah I’m here. What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, I was just wondering if you wanted to hang out with me, Jake and Laura today. We are going to the amusement park and we have an extra ticket since Kate can’t go,” Laura said.

“All because I’m pregnant,” muttered Kate in the background. I giggled under my breath.

“Um, I would love to come. I’ll be at the park in an hour,” I said, smiling into the phone.

“Great. We will see you there.” I flipped my phone shut and hopped out of bed.

Within minutes I was putting sunglasses into my little backpack. I tucked a stray piece of hair behind my ear and adjusted my shorts. I glanced into the mirror and checked over my outfit. I was wearing jean shorts and a spaghetti strap tank. I had already put tanning oil on so my skin shone in the fluorescent lights.

I skipped down the stairs and into the kitchen. My mom spun to face me. She smiled and handed me a glass of orange juice.

“What are you doing up so early?” she asked.

“I’m going to the amusement park with some friends.” My mom’s face clouded over and she looked down.

“Nat and Bailey?” she guessed.

“No; actually they are some new friends I met,” I confessed. My mom let a big smile come across her face.

“That’s good! Well, let me get you some money for the snacks and everything.” She reached into her pocket and handed me a wad of bills. I stuffed them in my own pocket and headed outside. I was finally on my way.

I was actually at the park in less than 20 minutes. I waited at the gate until I could finally see the three of them walking towards me. Miranda actually looked cute in a pair of khaki shorts and a tank top; Laura had on some jean Bermudas and a t-shirt; and of course, Jake was beside them in khaki shorts and another polo shirt—it was white this time—and he still looked hot.

“Hey guys,” I said once they got near enough to hear me.

“Hey Grace.” Miranda smiled at me and Jake nodded his head. Laura shyly waved and then ducked her head again. Miranda reached over and gave me a hug. I lightly hugged her back and she pulled away. She handed me a ticket and led the way to the entrance. We got in quickly; there wasn’t really a line on a day like this. The sky was overcast and cloudy; it looked as if it was going to rain.

“Where do y’all wanna start?” I asked. Jake turned to me with a mischievous smile playing on his lips.

“You know we have to do the rollercoaster first,” he said. I let out a forced laugh and let him lead us to one of the biggest rides in the park. I looked up at the towering coaster and drew in a ragged breath.

“We have to do this one?” I squeaked. Miranda turned to look at me.

“Of course!” she exclaimed. “I love this ride!”

“Okay,” I agreed nervously. We walked to the line and weaved throughout the ropes to the cars. I was pushed in first and Jake followed behind. The cars were in rows of four so we all fit in one. I snapped the restraint over my chest and squeezed my eyes shut.

Then, there was pressure on my hand. I flicked my eyes open and glanced over at Jake and then down at our intertwined hands.

“You gonna be okay?” he asked sincerely.

“I don’t think so. I don’t like big rollercoasters,” I said through clenched teeth. He frowned sympathetically.

“It will be okay. Do you want me to keep holding your hand?” I nodded so he left his hand in mine. Goosebumps rose onto my arms and I closed my eyes again.

The ride started up and I tightened my hold on Jake’s hand. I thought heard him laugh but I was too busy trying not to look.

“Grace,” Jake said and I stared at him. “Look.”

I looked down and was amazed at all of the little people. Some waved and I waved back with my free hand. I looked around and could see the skyscrapers of the city in the distant. Suddenly we dropped at top speed and I screamed at the top of my lungs. Jake was yelling beside me and I could hear Laura and Miranda’s screams too. I felt my hand slip out of Jake’s and I gripped onto the seat restraint.

Once we were back at the beginning I stumbled off and leaned against one of the walls near the exit. Miranda and Laura came up to me; their eyes were shining.

“So did you like it?” Laura asked. I was surprised to hear her speak. She had a light voice that sounded as if it didn’t go with her body.

“Like it?” I asked. “I love it! We have to do it again.”

“See? I knew you would like it. You just have to try it,” Miranda laughed. Laura joined in and soon we were all giggling out of control.

“Why aren’t I in this little giggle fest?” Jake joined us and I looked up at him.

“Cause you’re a guy,” I said between my fits of laughter. Jake chuckled under his breath and motioned for us to go. “What’s next?”

“How about a slower ride?” I suggested. Laura nodded her agreement and I walked up next to her. We talked lowly for a minute, wondering what we should do. Finally we turned back to Miranda and Jake.

“We wanna do the Ferris Wheel,” Laura announced. Jake smiled and nodded agreement.

“Okay let’s go,” Miranda declared. We all trailed behind her until we could finally see the gigantic wheel getting closer. I gazed at the sky and made a small click with my tongue.

“What’s wrong Grace?” Jake asked. I gestured towards the sky.

“It looks as if it’s going to,” I paused and a small rain drop fell onto my cheek, “rain.”

As if on cue, more raindrops followed and before long it was pouring. I raised my arms up to the sky and tilted my face upwards. I could feel the rain pelting my face and it felt good.

“Grace, come on.” Jake grabbed my hand and pulled me toward an awning. Laughing, I ran with him until we were standing next to Miranda and Laura.

“Grace, you’re soaked,” Laura commented. I laughed again.

“Yeah, and it feels amazing,” I said and shook the water out of my hair. Miranda squealed and stepped back.

“Just don’t get us wet, water girl,” Miranda warned.

After half an hour under the awning, the rain finally stopped and we walked out. I was still wet but I could already feel the sun drying me.

“Should we go home?” Laura asked. I shook my head.

“Nope; you and I are getting that Ferris Wheel ride,” I declared and pulled her towards the big wheel. There was nobody in line yet and it was already operating.

“I call sitting with Laura,” Miranda pushed by me and hooked her arm through her sister’s. I glared at her. The little carts could only hold two people at a time.

‘I guess that means I’m with you,” Jake said quietly. I nodded slightly and watched Laura and Miranda get on. Miranda gave me a goofy grin and I just had to laugh.

The guy, who was operating the machine, turned it on and waited a few carts before putting us on. I slid in first and he was right behind me. We pulled down the lap restraint. It was turned on once again and we started to go up. I laughed freely and looked down at all of the people. I saw a little girl wave to us and I happily waved back.

Jake chuckled and I turned to him.

“What?” I asked before letting out a laugh too.

“You seem like a different person when you’re with us. I feel like this is the real you but you don’t ever want to show it to anybody,” Jake said. I hesitated and contemplated his answer. I realized that he was right. As I was about to respond to that, the ride suddenly stopped.

I looked down expecting to see more people but nobody was down there. The two guys running the machine looked like they were arguing and one of them pointed up at us. Then the intercom system crackled to life.

“I’m sorry guys. We are encountering minor technical difficulties. We will be back in about 20 minutes.” One of the guys gave us a thumb up and we nodded. They left and I leaned back on the bench seat.

“Twenty minutes; yeah, right,” I grumbled. Jake relaxed beside me and laughed.

“What should we do?” His voice sounded unsure. I opened my mouth but then closed it again; unsure of what to say.

Kiss me, would have worked but he had a girlfriend. I looked away from him, my cheeks were turning red.

“Grace, are y’all okay?” Miranda yelled up at us.

“Yeah, we’re fine,” I called back. I heard Laura mutter something to Miranda and she laughed.

“So,” started Jake. I looked over at him and swallowed the laughter wanting to burst out of my lips. His hair was disheveled and he had this crazy, confused look on his face.

“So, we could play The Truth,” I offered. Jake stared at me with apprehension.

“What’s The Truth?”He pronounced the words slowly as if talking to a toddler.

“You don’t know what The Truth is?” I gasped in mock surprise. “Jake, you have a lot to learn about life.”

AW! So sweet! What will happen?

Ebonykitty SILVER, Naples, Florida

You can't run out of dreams. Dreams are the start of everything...

Awesome, can't wait!

on Jul. 27 2010 at 8:19 am

Sorry! I messed up. This is chapter 8. They must not have put on the other chapters....I will try and post them soon!

on Jul. 26 2010 at 12:35 am
Ebonykitty SILVER, Naples, Florida

I can't find Chapter 6 or 7. Did you take them off?

I don't know what happened to them. I thought I had posted them...let me see :/

pinkypromise23 PLATINUM, Cranston, Rhode Island

i know that you believe you understand what you think i said, but im not sure you realize that what you heard is not what i meant.

but there isnt any chapter six or seven...?

on Jul. 14 2010 at 10:26 am

It's chapter 8. Sorry if yall got confused.

Erudite GOLD said...
on Jul. 14 2010 at 9:35 am
Erudite GOLD, Rawalpindi, Other

trust your heart
if the seas catch fire
(and live by love
though the stars walk backward)

im wondering the same thing..

on Jun. 22 2010 at 7:18 am
OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

This is great, please write more!  Awesome job! 

Btw, will you check out and comment on my work?

:o noooo! but it was so good! awwwwwwwwww man!

Thanks for you comments. They meant a lot. I am so sad to tell you that I will not continue this story. I posted it on another site and a lot of readers got mad at me; telling me that I plagarized another book. A book that I haven't even read. SO right now, I am starting over but certain parts will still be in there. The characters will change a little bit and the setting and idea of the story is going to change. Thanks for your comments though. At least somebody like it. :)

write more pleaseeeeeeee!!

wait...is this supposed to be chapter eight or six? either way it was great! im hooked(: