One Fateful Evening | Teen Ink

One Fateful Evening

By Annabelle294 SILVER, Branford, Connecticut
Annabelle294 SILVER, Branford, Connecticut

It was a warm August afternoon when I first saw him. August 12th to be exact. I will never forget how he looked to this day. Brown tousled hair sticking out from beneath a gray fedora, a vest over a graphic tee, and worn out black high tops. Even more breathtaking was his perfectly sculpted face. He had sapphire blue eyes that could light up a room, complementing his flawless skin, and a smile that made my heart melt. He was amazing beyond what words could describe.
The day was drawing to an end and I hadn’t seen my mystery boy since that first walk by on the pier. I’d be leaving tomorrow morning to return home again. Another summer had passed by, right before my eyes. As much as I hoped deep down that I would see him again, something told me that disappointment would prevail in the end. I decided to take one last walk around before going to pack, say my last goodbye. The sun was setting on the horizon, the ocean sparkling before me. Brilliant shades of pink, orange, and yellow illuminated the sky, filling my heart with sorrow, but also a feeling of serenity. It would be impossible for one to stare at the scene before me and not be left in awe by its magnificence.
I began walking back to my cottage, wishing I didn’t have to leave, and face reality back at home. School would start in the fall, and all my memories of summer would slowly start to fade away. Walking along the pier, I heard something drop out of my bag and hit the ground. As I turned to see what had fallen a boy wearing a black scarf handed me the strawberry daiquiri lip-gloss I’d purchased earlier. There stood my mystery boy, looking even more gorgeous up close. “I think you dropped this,” he said interrupting my thoughts with an adorable British accent. His voice was more beautiful than I could have imagined, and now he stood before me, waiting expectantly for a response. “I think I did,” I said smiling. “Thanks, I was just about to look for that.” “Not a problem,” he said with his charming accent. “What’s your name?” “Andy, it’s Andy.” “Nice to meet you, I’m Aiden.” I began to weaken inside at the sound of his cute British name. “So what brings you to Cozy Beach?” “I come here on vacation every year, it’s kind of like a family tradition.” He smiled, taking in my words. “You like it here?” “Love it. I can’t fathom a summer not spent strolling the pier, or walking down the beach. It’s like my second home.” “Funny,” he chuckled, “It is my home.” I looked into his pool blue eyes as he continued to speak. “It started out as a summer vacation. We came here from England four years ago, but by the end of July my old man loved it so much he decided to make it a permanent home. My dad had to get away, so he came to America, and here we are. He owns the lobster shack down the strip, have you been?” “Actually yes,” I said smiling. “My family and I ate dinner there last night.” “That makes sense, I wasn’t working. I don’t think I would have missed your beautiful face.” Completely star stuck by his comment, I simply looked down, the blood rushing to my face. “ So you a waiter there?” I asked changing the subject away from myself. “For the most part. And then just my dad’s personal servant.” I stifled a laugh and he smiled that amazing smile once again. “So do you like it here?” I found myself asking, “It must be pretty different once the tourists clear out...” “I like it all right. It gets pretty quiet by October. Living by the beach in December is no fun though. There’s honestly nothing to do.” “I know how you feel. I live in Rhode Island, and there’s never anything to do. Where in England did you live?” After hearing my question he glanced towards the ocean, then looked closely at me before answering. “I lived Eastbourne with my dad. My mum is still there actually.” “Your parents are divorced?” “As of last year, yes.” “I’m sorry.” “It’s alright. It was a long time coming.” “Do you miss her?” “I do. My dad was really the one that raised me though, so I feel a lot closer to him, ya know?” I nodded my head in agreement and we continued to walk down the pier.
We spent the next two hours talking about everything. I formed an amazing connection with Aiden, and the summer fling I’d had in mind became an unforgettable experience. “I should probably get going,” I said knowing that time was running out. “So soon? We just met.” He smiled lightly and held my chin in his hands ever so lightly. “You got a long way home?” “About five hours...” “That’s not too bad.” “No, I don’t want to go though.” “I don’t want you to go either, let me say one last goodbye before you leave tomorrow.” I nodded and he told me he’d meet me on the pier at sunrise. At that I told him goodnight, and set back to the cottage.
When I woke up the next morning there was no denying the excitement I felt. Last night I couldn’t stop smiling, and now I wanted nothing more but to see Aiden again. I dreamed about him all night, my mind replaying our talk on the pier over, and over again.
I slipped out of the house shortly before sunrise, and made my way towards the strip. It was still fairly dark outside, the moon a pale image in the morning sky. Part of me just wanted to stay with Aiden, and have time freeze before us. I knew this would be impossible, for vacation had come to an end, and it was time to move on, but I never stopped entertaining the thought.
I made it to the pier within a few minutes, and embraced the morning, breathing in the fresh sea air. A pastel yellow color began to creep over the horizon, eventually transforming into a bright, golden beam of light. I stood and waited, the sun rising before me, the town beginning to awake. I waited five minutes, but there was still no sign of Aiden. After 20 minutes I knew I couldn’t wait any longer, but the thought of letting Aiden go tore me apart. It was time to leave, and if Aiden didn’t come then maybe it wasn’t meant to be. I’m a strong believer in fate, and something told me that this whole experience had been in the hands of fate. So maybe, just maybe my destiny had changed, and it was time for me to go home. I watched as an older man carried bags of ice towards one of the stands. His grayed hair looked messy like he hadn’t combed it upon waking up, and he had piercing blue eyes. He glanced at me for a quick second before turning down an alley.
Three years have passed since that first summer when I met Aiden. I awaited the following June impatiently, dying to see his face, and reconnect once again. When we arrived in Cozy Beach I searched for him everywhere. I looked on the beaches, the pier, the docks, everywhere. I finally walked to Lobster shack, but found myself standing before a deserted building. Aiden was gone.
My memory of him is now becoming one of the many distant memories I carry with me from summers in Cozy Beach. I’m in college now, and I think of him on occasion. My family no longer goes to Cozy Beach during the summers, my parents having moved across the country. It’s been so long, I’m beginning to wonder if Aiden was even real. I have no proof of his existence, no photos, nothing. I do however have the strawberry daiquiri lip- gloss from all those years ago. It surprisingly hasn’t run out yet, and I use it once in a while. The smell of it takes me right back to that night, the sound of the ocean chopping against the beach, the sweet smell of cotton candy filling my nose. If not for that lip-gloss, I don’t think I’d ever remember those details quite as intricately as I do now.
As I walked to class thoughts of Aiden graced my mind. I wonder what happened to him, why he never returned to Cozy Beach. I suppose I will never know. I can just hear his beautiful voice in my head, British accent and all. It’s so close, it’s almost as if he’s right here beside me. An overwhelming feeling came over me, and I suddenly felt the need to turn around. “Excuse me, I think you dropped this,” a familiar voice behind me spoke, and there I was staring into those tranquil blue eyes once again.

on Aug. 29 2010 at 1:12 pm
Thank you!!

on Aug. 28 2010 at 11:20 am
deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

You've definitely got a talent! Keep writing!

Lonleydandy said...
on Jul. 4 2010 at 9:04 pm
Awww, loved it!!!!!!

on Jun. 6 2010 at 5:35 pm
h.a.n.n.a.h. BRONZE, Prairie Village, Kansas

"The mind is everything, what you think you become."- Buddha

this is really good. i like how you wrote it. you make the characters seem real. keep writing