A Perfect Night | Teen Ink

A Perfect Night

March 6, 2010
By xLoVeLyCuTiEe428x PLATINUM, Nanuet, New York
xLoVeLyCuTiEe428x PLATINUM, Nanuet, New York
24 articles 0 photos 102 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To me, Fearless is not the absense of fear. It's not being completely unafraid. To me, Fearless is having fears. Fearless is having doubts. Lots of them. To me, Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you to death."
— Taylor Swift


It was the fourth of May. I was only sixteen, but I was done. Done with life. You see, it's the year 2222, and people have "perfected" society. Though our society is far from perfect.

There aren't video games because they "rot your brain." No TVs or computers, either. Apparently they "reveal all the faults" of other societies that aren't as "advanced" as we are. Though everyone of us knows the real reason: they don't want us to see all the problems in the world and worry us. It's like they shoved us in a box in the corner of a mansion, claiming it was safer.

Anyways, I had nothing to do on this Friday night. I called my friend Amy, but she had a date, so I went for a walk. I went to the cafe, having nothing better to do, and ordered a hot chocolate.

That was when I saw him.

And when I spilled my hot chocolate all over myself.

He walked over to me and handed me napkins. "So much for your hot chocolate," he said, motioning to my cup, which was only a quarter full.

"Yeah," I said, sighing. "Despite our 'advanced' society, you can still spill things on yourself." Silence. Awkward silence that I felt I had to fill, so I continued babbling. "I mean you can't enjoy yourself," I said, wiping my shirt with the napkins, "but you can drench your shirt with your hot chocolate."

"Yeah," he said. "Let's sit down." He grabbed my cup of hot chocolate, his cup of coffee, and the rest of the napkins.

We sat down at the table and talked about our "perfect" society, life, death, and everything in between.

I found myself staring into his eyes. We were outside my apartment. "Uh..." I looked at my watch. 9:45 p.m. "Well, good night."

He grabbed my arm, and swept me into his arms. His lips brushed against mine, ever so gently, and yet flawlessly. "Good night," I said when we stopped kissing.

"Good night," he said. "Today was perfect, even if our society isn't."