EC+AM=4ever Chapter 36 Part 2 | Teen Ink

EC+AM=4ever Chapter 36 Part 2

By TeamJacobArchuleta ELITE, Chicago, Illinois
TeamJacobArchuleta ELITE, Chicago, Illinois

He's the one I call in the middle of the night. He's the one who makes everything alright. He loves me with no regret...I just haven't found him yet.

Dear Diary,

This is it. Ash and I are really over. No, he hasn’t broken up with me yet, it’s only nine forty-five. But I’m about to go to the park so that he can.

I just don’t get it. I hate how he thinks he can just make me fall in love with him and then dump me for his ex. But even though I completely despise him right now, I also still love him. I just can’t help it! It’s like he’s got some kind of hold on me. Like no matter how badly I want to, I just can’t fall out of love with him. It’s like he put me under some kind of spell. And I can’t free myself of it. I can’t control how I feel about him.

Shouldn’t I be able to just hate him without any other side effects? I wasn’t even sure why I still loved him. He broke my heart and he’s about to break it even more in ten minutes. Ooh, speaking of that, I’d better get going.

I want to be on time to the break-up. As if.

“Hi,” Ash greeted me as I approached.

“Hi,” I replied, already feeling tears in the corners of my eyes. It was just so strange talking to him. He didn’t even sound like himself. It was like talking to a stranger. He sounded so grim, so distant, so un-Ash.

He opened his mouth to begin speaking, but then sighed and clamped it shut, looking down at his beat up Converse.

“Just go ahead and say it.” I said, my voice shaky. “I already know that you’re going to break-up with me.”

He looked back up at me, his brow knit together. “What are you talking about?” he demanded.

“Isn’t that why you wanted me to meet you here?” I asked, confused.

“Um, no.”

“Well then why did you want me to meet you?”

He took a deep breath, and then tentatively began. “Today, Katrina visited me again. She was begging me to get back together with her.” He glanced at me and then continued, “But I told her no.”

“Why?” I inquired.

“Because she’s not you.” he murmured.

I had to have heard him wrong. There was no way he actually just said that. I had to be dreaming. But I wasn’t. “You’ve got to be kidding me,” I blurted out.

“What do you mean?” he asked.

“Well first you propose to me without mentioning that you’re going to go fight in the army two days after we marry. Then you’re ex-girlfriend shows up and I find out that you’re little carving wasn’t just for me. Then you punch Cole in the face. Then I find out that the entire time, you’ve been going behind my back and meeting with the freakin’ priest about our wedding, when I already called it off! And now you’re acting like you love me again?”

“What do you mean ‘again‘? I’ve always loved you Evalynne. Throughout everything we’ve been through, there has never been a moment in which I no longer loved you.” he cried. “I’d do anything for you! And the only reason I told you to meet me here is because I wanted to beg you for forgiveness.”

“But…you’re mom has Alzheimer’s because of me. How can you beg me for forgiveness? I should be the one begging you to forgive me!”

“Well if I’d just told you that I was in the army in the first place, you never would have gotten so angry, you never would have stepped in front of that car, and the accident would have never happened.” he said. “So actually, it’s my fault.”

I shook my head, a tear rolling down my cheek. “Don’t blame yourself, Ash. We both know very well that it’s my fault. And I’m so sorry. I would do anything to make it up to you.” I bowed my head in shame, feeling guilty.

“Anything?” he asked, and when I looked up at him an impish grin was spread across his face.

“It depends…what do you have in mind?”

He put his index finger to his chin as if he was really thinking this over. But then that smile came back and he reached into his pocket, pulling out a small velvet box, getting down on one knee, opening the box, revealing a shiny silver ring.

“Marry me,” he said.

I felt my jaw drop and my eyes widen. “You’re proposing to me?” Ok, now I had to be dreaming. “Again?” I added.

“I love you and I want to spend the rest of eternity with you. I never want you to leave me and by marrying you, I can dedicate myself to you. This way, all you have to do is look at the ring on your finger, and then you’ll think of me. Then you’ll remember how much I love you. I can’t even describe how I feel in words. Words aren’t enough.” He looked at me, his eyes glistening in the moonlight.

I didn’t know what to say, my mouth felt all dry and cottony. I was truly speechless. “I…I don’t know what to say…” I choked out.

“All you have to do is say yes.” he replied, as if it were really that simple. But it wasn’t, I knew it, he knew it. Yeah, it would be great if it was, but love is never simple. Love can tear you apart and leave you’re heart broken and raw. But it can also fill you with an indescribable joy, the closest thing we have to magic.

Although, sometimes magic is just an illusion.

But if the love between Ash and I was just an illusion, a trick of the mind, then why did it feel so real? Why was it that when I looked at Ash, I could picture us ten years from now? Happy, married, two little kids, a big house with red shutters and a tire swing hanging from the tree in the front yard. Yeah, it was a bit cookie-cutter couple, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t imagine that with Cole.

I would lie in bed, trying to picture it until my head began to ache. But every single time, I saw Ash. So when I said “Yes,”, I knew I’d made the right decision.

Catiestar GOLD said...
on Jun. 30 2011 at 12:50 am
Catiestar GOLD, Clayton, New Jersey

You be the anchor that keeps my feet on the ground, I'll be the wings that keep your heart in the clouds <3

Proposal again??? AS OF RIGHT NOW, I'm glad she said yes :)

Team Ash...

twix.n.pixi.stix7 GOLD, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"you can dream big
or you can dream small
the important thing
is that you're dreaming at all"
~me! haha i wrote that :)

the more i read this, the more i see twilight...

kkayla3897 BRONZE, Ogden, Utah
NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE'S NOT WORTH NOTHING!!!!!

on Oct. 3 2010 at 12:45 am
Kaylin_Mackenzie GOLD, Tomball, Texas

"You might not like me, but Jesus thinks I'm to die for!"
"L.O.V.E's just another word I'll never learn to pronounce...."

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!  hes hurt her waaaaaaaaaaay too much! cole cole cole cole cole!!!!! what is wrong with her????? >:(

i'm pretty sure it was in chapter 32...it could've been 31 or 33 though lol i can't remember....it was right after she went to the hotel with cole though & he was driving her home

Addiekins said...
Addiekins, Ukiah, California

Are you there? I cannot hear what you say in response. Or maybe the silence is just you listening

Waait wait wait. When did she tell Ash about his mothers accident?

on Aug. 26 2010 at 8:07 am
MythicWeaver BRONZE, Hampton Bays, New York

There is no such thing as coincidence, there is only the inevitable

I really loooooove this story, in fact, I got addicted to it. I don't know, I think she is really confused right now, but I don't think saying yes was exactly the right decision to make...

on Aug. 20 2010 at 1:33 am
HippieNamedAnna PLATINUM, Kansas City, Missouri

Let It Be-The Beatles
Music is the only thing that makes sense any more-Me
Make love, not war-a bunch of people
Roses are red, Violets are blue, I have five fingers, The middle one's for you-Me :)

I think this story relates to the saying: You were either never in love, or always will be in love. It never stops.

on Jul. 29 2010 at 11:53 am

OhmyLord. WHY is she going to marry him!? Julliane is right when she says he's a psychopath! He obviously has issues that he needs to work out with a proffessional(sp?) instead of constantly guilting her into getting back with him!

ao;rih;eogthaerughseurog.

Good job on this, I can't stop reading.(: haha

lolwassup said...
on Jun. 15 2010 at 5:15 am
this girl obviously has serious problems. *just sayin'*

ashkash95 SILVER, New Hyde Park, New York

"Love never fails." 1 Corinthians 13:8

i'm going to go against the tide for like the 5000 time and say yesyesyes to Ash! You can tell she loves him because whenever she thinks bout Cole she thinks about Ash too

Lost-In-Life GOLD, Whitby, Other

It's never to late, if it weren't for the last minute many things would never get done!

This is really starting to remind me of Twilight. Also Ash proposed to her, while she was dating Cole. She said yes while dating Cole. Cheating much?

KoreanNinja said...
Are you serious?! I like her with Cole better!!!

on Apr. 4 2010 at 5:44 am
christian.e SILVER, Dutch Harbor, Alaska

The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me --Pascal

Ah! no i like cole. He's like the rock you have to lean on whenever you need to :(:(:( DONT MARRY HIM

ButterflyGirl1313 PLATINUM, Phoenix, Arizona

"..and these children that you spit on as they try to change their worlds, they are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.." -David Bowie

yeah well she thought she made the right decision the first time and the time after that and the time after that