The Unread Letter | Teen Ink

The Unread Letter

By WithaY BRONZE, Putnam Valley, New York
WithaY BRONZE, Putnam Valley, New York

The only light in the tiny was from the bright full moon just outside he window and from the hallway to which the door was slightly ajar. Lying in bed was a young girl, no more than fourteen. Her long chestnut brown hair fell all around her tear stained face. Her eyes gazed milkily out of the window up at the moon. She had only one thing on her mind. Cole. Cole, the most amazing person she had ever met, but he was worlds away. He had told her he loved her, had that been true?

All that day she had waited for her phone to ring or for a new email with his name to pop up in her inbox. But no such call or letter had found it’s way to her. She had gotten ready for bed feeling defeated and lonely. She didn’t even know how it was possible, but she felt homesick despite the fact that she was in her own home, the place she had lived for nearly all her life.

Now she was listening to his favorite song, laughing at all the fun they had had together last time they had been together. She dreamed about what they would do together next time she saw him. But she didn’t know when that would be. He had moved away and lived almost a thousand miles away.

She was dying to here his voice, but she was mostly dying to know if he was dying to hear hers. She wanted to sleep so bad so all the pain would go away, but she just couldn’t fall asleep.

She pulled a picture out of the inside cover of a book that was resting on her bedside table. She had received it in the mail almost two months ago, exactly one week after Cole had moved away. On the back, written in dark black ink and horrible handwriting, though she didn’t care, were just a few words, but they meant so much to her.

Emma,

Please don’t forget.
- Cole

She flipped it over and smiled at the picture it’s self. Her hazel eyes looked at the deep brown ones, wishing the real thing was actually looking back. His light curls and bright smile made her heart melt and her face grin.

Then she got a brilliant idea. She pulled out a pad of paper and pen. “Dear Cole” She wrote at the top of the large empty page. With only the light from the moon and the hallway she began to let her heart pour out like the ink from the pen. She wrote everything, everything she was feeling, thinking, dreaming. She wrote down all her wishes and how bad she wanted to see his face.

Her beautiful script filled three full pages. She had no idea how long she had been writing, but it didn’t matter to her. She finally finished by scrawling “ Love, Emma” She gazed down at the letter. It was covered in her, her words and her tears.

As she looked at the letter she felt so much better. She felt a peace come over her. It was incredible to her that just putting herself into writing made it so much easier. She read it over and over again, making sure everything sounded perfect.

As she read it over one last time, she knew she could send it to Cole. She folded it up and let one last tear fall on the heartfelt letter. She placed the letter and picture in a box beside her bed. Maybe someday, if everything worked out she would give the letter to Cole, but for now the letter was hers and it would stay that way.

As she lay back down on the brightly colored sheets she smiled sadly to herself. She was very tired now and knew she was finally going to be able to escape into a world of sleep.

She looked at the box and then up at the moon. She wondered if Cole knew somehow that she was thinking so much of him. She looked again at the box before closing her eyes and relaxing back onto her pillows.

Emma sighed to herself. “No that’s a letter he’ll never read.”

choirchic101 SILVER, Norwalk, California

in order for God to use all of you you have to be completely broken

i loved it but it should be a little bit longer

on Sep. 28 2009 at 7:31 am
OMGitsCHARLAY GOLD, Canton, New York

"No one told me there were penguins in these cookies!!!!" ~ Me, Sophomore Year.

This is really great! I love the style of writing you chose. I have a couple of my own peices much like this, you should read them if you want.

Evvyon SILVER said...
on Sep. 26 2009 at 11:45 am
Evvyon SILVER, Richardson, Texas

Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings.

Wow this was a wonderful piece. I really loved the whole concept!

petroskyc said...
I liked this a lot,but I think it might of ended a little short. I want to know what happens with Cole and Emma. I liked when you said "It was covered in her words and her tears," it shows the emotions she felt and it kind of gives us an idead of what was in the letter. I also like when you said "his light curls and bright smile made her heart melt and her face grin." I liked this because it showed how she felt about Cole. Good job writing this, you should write more.

hbeats4u2 SILVER, MPLS, Minnesota

My personal favorite quote would have to be; "Don't judge a book by its cover."

Wow! I totally agree with tenderheartx3. But I'm so curious. What happens next?

liltrinhle SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina
You have good imagery. You captured her emotions well. :)

I like the twist in the ending.

Check out my work!