Love Isn't Candy | Teen Ink

Love Isn't Candy

December 26, 2022
By maryannn PLATINUM, Sacramento, California
maryannn PLATINUM, Sacramento, California
27 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"don't let it define you"


Love isn't always a gift. It can leave you heartbroken or in despair. It follows you- or maybe stalks you, through family, friendships and love interests. Love takes time.

 

Love can melt into your heart, quickly or slowly- but love can bring heartbreak- it crushes your heart just as much.

 

Love was a treasure, a sweet gift. Maybe this treasure is secretly a trap.

I should not have had a taste of love at all, because the sweetness made me sick, wanting more. I became nauseous at almost every breath, and I was fighting against myself- playing a game of tug of war with the inner child who wanted love- and the present reality trying to convince that child- that love is sickening.

 

Love is candy. Candy is made of sugar- and sugar not only makes your stomach churn after awhile- the taste becomes a craving that you want to continue to cling onto, because you need that sweet sugar.

 

Do you even love the simple candy itself, or do you enjoy the sweetness you know it will always have- the sweetness, that you think you'll love as much as you once did?