Our Feelings are mutual!! | Teen Ink

Our Feelings are mutual!!

By Marian_de_Silva GOLD, Gampaha, Other
Marian_de_Silva GOLD, Gampaha, Other

“If this year has taught me anything, it's that grief can destroy a person.”

“Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it.”

"Don't assume the answer is no before you ask the question."

I’m Ophelia, and it’s the 2nd Friday of the month! An outing day for me and my best friends just to relieve our stress with some karaoke in the main drag lane in London. I have four besties. Georgia, Olivia, Matilda, and Carolina. Four of them are from Halifax and I’m from Yorkshire. We are roommates. We have been living together in London since our days in high school. Now we are in our mid-20s, yet we all are single, so we didn’t have anyone to talk to until the other day. No exes or literally, no one. I’m an assistant writer who’s still working at the office. I got a text from our WhatsApp group "The Heathers". It was Matilda.

"Hey girls, can we go out today?" I’m tired as hell. Let’s have girls’ time. Wdyt? Reply to me asap. So we can book a private karaoke room just for the five of us... x.

I was excited and tired, so I replied, "Hands down, wait for me." I’ll be there at 5.45 pm."

Other girls reacted to my message with a heart, and they confirmed their participation too. I stared at the clock hanging on the wall, and it was 3.45 pm.

I completed my office duties in advance at 4:30 pm and I capitulated all the documents to the respective people to leave the office at 5.00. I packed my handbag to go with my girls. I went to the restroom and washed my face, then wiped my wet hands with a tissue. My phone vibrated and there was a reminder. I raised my phone just to see a moment crasher. I grabbed my phone and left the restroom to have a seat beside my table.

"Damn it! Do we have an office outing today? What on God's green earth is this? " When did I even set up a reminder? How did I even forget about this? Arghh! How do I oppose girls now?

I saw secretary Lia heading towards my desk, and said, "Okay, you gotta keep it all cool." I said to myself, "You have done nothing illegal. "Explain it to her if she asks," I said to myself.

"Oh, my gosh!! Darling, now if only you had discovered my eye region!! She chimed.

I smiled gauchely, and I pointed out my excuse for skipping the office outing.

"Um... Lia, I’m Sorr..."

Oops... not this time! She said. Her face definitely looks like a mom who’s refusing to buy her demanding kid a candy.

You must come with us. Ask your girls to postpone it for you, alright? Come on? It’s an important day for everyone who works here. Cheer up, Ophelia!

But..."

"Hey! There are no buts with me, okay? Just do whatever I say…" she exclaimed.

A... Alright...

"Girls! I’m sorry to break this news to you! But that secretary Lia threatened me to take part in the office outing. I’m sorry. You girls enjoy the day!! XOXO, "

[4 unread messages]

Olivia: What’s up with her? That's a sad girl. Can’t we go out another day? @Georgia @Carolina @Matilda... Wdyt?

Georgia: yup!! Hey @matilda, did you reserve a karaoke room for us?

Matilda: Yeah... But luckily, they acknowledged that we could adjust the date to another day if we preferred! So, no problem.

Carolina: That’s a relief. By the way, you should always be safe wherever you go! Okay? Call us if you need anything.

"Aww, I love you, babies!! Thank you for your concern @Georgia @Matilda @Carolina @Olivia," I replied.

Carolina: Shall we come and pick you up? like at 10 pm?

Okay, sure... Thanks, mwah! I texted.

.

.

I confirmed my attendance to Secretary Lia.

"That’s what I’m talking about, girl." There’s a solution for everything. "Check out the location of the bar," she said.

"Wait, what? Did you say a bar? I exclaimed. (I’ve never been to or wanted to go to a bar.)

"Yes, why? It’s Valentine's Day btw. Get ready for the partyyyyyy! Invite your boyfriend too.

I directly looked at her, "I don’t have a boyfriend."

"Oh, you have a girlfriend? It’s okay! Come with her then.

"What? Nope. I’m not dating anyone. I’m not into relationships.”

"Oh, I forgot you are a white collar and a workaholic. That doesn’t matter, you must come. At least learn something apart from work. Oh for god’s sake,"

I smiled and shrugged my arms.

Now it’s 5.30 pm.

I forgot to fix my make-up. So what, I’m not celebrating these dumb kinds of stuff.

We went to the 1606 bar down the road. I forwarded the location to "The Heathers."

It’s like a whole new planet. Honestly, I didn’t like the vibe. The music was so loud that it was close to explode my brain as well as my ear. People were dancing. My colleagues and I sat at the largest table with a cozy sofa at the front bar. My coworkers were celebrating the day of being a lover, Valentine's Day, with their loved ones. So-called “babes”. Not only them, but loads of people were commemorating it, too. However, including me, there were plenty of individuals who had nothing to do but sit. But they seemed to enjoy the moment. Ridiculous!!

I looked around and the Brooklyn-inspired atmosphere of this bar had surroundings that were beyond my sophisticated expectations. I saw people come and go through the doors of the bar. People were dancing and screaming on the dance floor. They were hailing something fun. I guess... Bottles of Cîroc Jeroboam, Belvedere Magnum, Don Julio Blanco and some more popular, fancy brands were kept on our tables. Secretary Lia was constraining me to drink beer. But I refused because I have never been a fan of liquor.

Hey! Girl, just take a sip of this extravagant, divine night of drinking!!! She whispered.

I’m sorry, Lia. I’m not a fan of these types of drinks. I replied.

Alright then! Lia gushed while rolling her blue eyes.

As I looked around, I saw the bartender's station. It was crowded. A huge alcohol cabinet made of wood and glass diverted my attention. It was tall and had plenty of shelves. The darker green coloured cabinet gave a breathtaking, lavish green look when the dim lights were switched on within the cabinet. Totally, I was attracted by that stunning cabinet. I wanted to look at the collection of different coloured liquor bottles tucked safely inside a huge rack.

Umm... Lia, I need to check out that cabinet. Would you mind if I go there?

What? Heck! There are two of you? She stared at me with an eye open. A cabinet? Oh! Yeah, you can go. Yeah!! She was drunk as a skunk.

I followed the cabinet through the dancing crowd. I reached the bartender’s place and sat on a bar stool. I stared at the large cabinet, which left me in awe. I looked at the bartender, and he gave me a nice, polite smile and carried on mixing. After that, he came to me while cleaning a glass.

How’s your day, ma’am? Is this your first time here? I haven’t seen you around.

It has been a great day so far, and yes, it is. It’s my very first time here, and I know nothing about these places. I was forced to come here.

I see. By the way (he offered me a handshake and introduced himself and his assistant, who’s standing aside with a smiley face), I’m Tom Andrews, and my assistant is Christopher Jones. You can ask about anything related here from me or him.

I shook hands with both of them and introduced myself as Ophelia Williams.

So, what would you like to have today?

I don’t drink alcohol. So, can I have a sprite with orange juice?

Certainly!

The bartender, Mr Tom, served me sprite mixed with orange juice. Here you go... enjoy! Let me know if you need anything.

Sure! Thank you!

He went to the other side of the bartender station and greeted genuinely to other customers, too.

I immersed myself in the taste of the mocktail that I ordered. It brightens my mood with a fresh boost.

I sank into my own thoughts for a while until someone patted my left arm twice. I gasped and turned my head 90 degrees to see who was patting me. The first person who came to my mind was Lia, but... it was a young man who was about 6 feet tall. He had a face straight out of a magazine and bright, crystal clear brown eyes secured with eyelids that had elegantly long eyelashes below the straight fury eyebrows staring at me with a pleasant smile. He had sharp jaws. He was a brunette. I think we are contemporaries. He was wearing a white shirt and dark blue jeans with a pair of black Nikes. He has a LV watch on his graceful tattooed wrist. He was also wearing a black coat. He’s kind of my type. But we ain’t falling for him. I admonished myself.

"Ophelia?" he said.

I’m sorry! Have we met before? I asked.

Nah! We haven’t. Don’t get me wrong. I was at the Oxfords too. You were quite popular as a bright student at that time.

Ha-ha, about that. I smiled.

I’m Ethan Fernsby. He offered me a genuine handshake. By any chance, is this seat taken?

N... no. "You can have it" I said.

“Ethan Fernsby?” I heard that he’s a director and a shareholder in a reputed landscaping company in London. But what is he doing here? It’s definitely none of my business. I thought.

Immersed in thought, Aren’t ya?

Uh… No... I mumbled.

He sat politely... In recent years, Oxford University has become much more diverse. Isn’t it?

Totally! I agreed because it is the reality. The place where we studied and which made us responsible graduates have become more and more varied, just like he said.  

It seems like you aren’t into alcohol. He said, looking at my mocktail.

Yes... I smiled.

Where are your friends? He asked.

I’m here with my colleagues at the office. They are celebrating Valentine’s Day. They must've been sober now.

I came with my co-workers and they celebrate The Valentine’s day too. There they are. He pointed at them with a queasy face.

I remembered "Blank Space" by Taylor Swift,

Nice to meet you. Where you been?

I could show you incredible things

Magic, madness, heaven, sin

Saw you there, and I thought

"Oh my God, look at that face"

His soothing, manly voice fused with the British accent made me seriously blush. Even though I tried to stop my smile and facial expressions, my face didn’t cooperate. Every detail about him is just very sexy. He has not only a delicate face but his height and build are just my standards.

The bartender arrived and asked if I need another glass of mocktail and if I was alright because I was reddened.

Is this your first time here too, mister? Haven’t seen ya around? The bartender asked Ethan.

Oh yes! I’m here for the first time too. He replied.

Mr Tom, the bartender, nodded and brought me another glass of mocktail, as well as Ethan a drink according to his preferences.

I can see Ethan occasionally staring at me in a friendly manner from the corner of my eyes. I sipped the mocktail slowly and carefully so I wouldn’t choke on it.

So, where are you originally from?

Oh… um… I’m from Yorkshire. I said.

Oh, then you must be a Tyke girl, aren’t ya?

Ha-ha, kinda I don’t know... I murmured.

I looked at him, and his iridescent eyes were glowing.

He had dimples. His teeth were white as snow when he was talking. Watching him from afar, he looked cold as ice and hot as hell. When he’s nearer, he’s kind of adorable as a button. I got distracted by the drunken men who occupied the seats on my right side as they conquered my space. I guess those men were having the strongest spirits. They were about to fall to the ground. I turned my head to see whether they were closer to me, so I could move a little away. Suddenly, my bar stool drew towards my left side, and it was Ethan. He stood up and took his coat off, then put it over my shoulders. I raised my head to look. I felt the butterflies in my stomach. Usually, my face expresses the thoughts on my face, so I wonder what my face looks like. I tried to stay calm.

This handsome brunette was looking at me, and he crouched over to my face and said, "Miss. Williams, let’s go over there." It’s crowded here.

I was so blown away by him that I almost forgot about my colleagues. We went to the other side of the bar and sat on bar stools. I had to remind myself not to fall for him all the time. Because I have trust issues.

You look breathtaking and ambitious. He smiled.

He looked into my eyes. Don’t you have a road map inside your eyes so that I don’t get lost, Ophelia?

I wonder how he said that with a straight and perfectly chiselled face and glistening brown eyes, which made my goosebumps pop all over my body. Arghh!! God help me, please.

He kept his glass aside and started talking. Mates, who were in my faculty during university days, believed that you must be very an absolutely romantic girl because you studied English Literature and loads of lads in my batch were fascinated by you. Simply, there was a lad called Adrian. He usually used to say that your gorgeous smile brightens his day.

Ethan sighed, ducked a little forward and kept his left hand on his thigh while his right hand was on the bar counter. He raised his left eyebrow and nodded, saying, "Mine too."

I was drinking some water while looking and listening to him talk, and accidentally I choked on it.

Calm down, young lady! No one’s going to rob your glass of water.

His muscular hands had freaking goosebumps too!! Man! I want to scream now! I don’t know how to describe that feeling.

I looked at my watch!

Holy Word! It’s 10:15. My girls must’ve arrived here!

I need to take my leave now... Ethan Fernsby! “It was nice talking to you”! I said.

I’ll get going too. Do you have a business card?

Of course! I gave him one of my business cards. And he gave me his business card too.

Thank you. See you around. I mean, um... Thank you and take care. I replied.

We made eye contact, and he held my hands gently. Our feelings are mutual, Miss. Williams... He smirked and winked innocently, which made me feel like everything and everyone paused for a while, excluding me and him.

“Ethan Fernsby?” a person, a place or a thing? I don't know. Who cares? It's all about the imagination. Maybe he's an inspiration from my celebrity crushes, fictional characters, or an image that I had made up in my mind. 

Ophelia Williams. She isn't a person, a place or a thing either. As the author of this story, Ophelia's character matches a bit with mine until she meets this guy "Ethan Fernsby" 

I've never been sympathetic to the topic of teen affairs as a 17-year-old who lives in a world where teens chase behind a relationship. But, it's not only about the image. It's about the overall aspects. 

✨❤