Happy Girl | Teen Ink

Happy Girl

By astevens02 BRONZE, Somerset, Kentucky
astevens02 BRONZE, Somerset, Kentucky

The girl, which I deemed Happy Girl due to her overabundance of joy she showed, came into class skipping. Her pretty skirt flowing behind her and her dangling earrings swaying. She hummed a sweet tune and smile brightly, showing off her white teeth. She was happier than usual. She skipped to her seat, which was in front of mine. I looked at her and smiled, Her makeup was flawless as usual. Her pink lips smiled back. I gazed into her green eyes to find the reason why so was so happy. Her shining eyes didn't give me any answers, they just sparkled like a million stars. She told me, hello and it sounded like a pretty songbird landed on my shoulder. My heart leaped at her voice and it felt like it was wrapped in a symphony of sweet as she said my name. During class I kept peeking at her, to see a change in her ever-lifting mood. Every time I caught her looking back at me, which I then would blush and turn away. After a boring lecture, her tiny finger poked my shoulder. I turned to look at her. Her bright smile was neutral and serious. She gulped deeply and half-heartedly smiled. She grabbed my hand, her smooth skin caressing mine. I gulped and my heart flipped. Still holding my hand she placed a bright pink pen, the one she always used, in my hand. She curled my fingers over it and lightly tapped my hand. “A gift,” she said in her sweet voice. Her lips pulled into a big smile and her eyes looked glazed over. We spent a few minutes staring at each other. My heart galloped at the closeness. I longed to kiss her lips and hold her. She sighed and turned away. Her skinny arm grabbed her bright pink bag and walked away and I was left dumbfounded as I tightly squeezed her pen. The next day, Happy Girl didn't show up to class; confusing because she always showed. The teacher walked in late, dragging her feet. I examined her face. It was red and puffy. Her lips were drawn in a frown and her grey eyes were dull. I asked where happy girl was. The teacher gulped and took a deep breath. “Well class, I have been informed that…” My once floating heart sunk.