The Boy Next Door | Teen Ink

The Boy Next Door

November 3, 2018
By kmillet BRONZE, Manchester, New Hampshire
kmillet BRONZE, Manchester, New Hampshire
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

New Jersey is her home. New Jersey is the place where her laughs were shared, the place where she dealt with the tough times, the place where she had her heartbroken, the place where memories were made, the place where she fell in love, and the place where he stole her heart. Quinn, a senior in high school with brown hair and blue eyes, had just drove home from school. As she approached her front door, she heard something. This is where her love story begins.

“Hello,” Quinn heard from the distance behind her. She turned around quickly to see who it was. It was a boy, one she has never seen before, calmly stepping closer to her. This mystery boy who had a deep voice was tall with dark brown hair and bright hazel eyes. He was dressed quite nice, wearing a light purple shirt that brought out his eyes and a pair of black jeans. Quinn was clearly attracted to this young man. As he stepped closer, she started to smile while keeping her hand on the door knob of her front door. It felt like months before he reached her.

As he stood before her with a smile that could light up a room, she responded, “Hi, I haven’t seen you around here before.”

Mystery boy chuckled, “I just moved here from Massachusetts; my dad received a job offer. I saw that you were the girl next door and had to come introduce myself.”

“Well, mystery boy,” she welcomed him as she giggled, “I’m Quinn and I’m the girl next door.”

“It’s really nice to meet you, Quinn,” he declared. “I am Liam, the boy next door,” he added as he laughed. They stood there and stared at each other with smiles on their faces for a few minutes until Quinn’s mom came to the door noticing it was cracked open a bit. Quinn’s mom swung the door open not realizing Quinn’s hand was on the knob. Quinn stumbled into the house, almost falling but she caught herself just in time. Her mom was startled and apologized quickly, trying to help her daughter stand with balance again.

“Mom,” Quinn whispered, “I am okay.” She then welcomed home her daughter and soon looked at Liam.

She asked him politely, “Who are you?”

Liam stood up straight and shook her hand. “ I am Liam, and I just moved in next door,” he answered.

“Oh,” commented Quinn’s mom, “how nice! Welcome to the neighborhood.”

“Thank you, I really appreciate it,” claimed Liam.

Quinn excused herself as she had some homework to finish and told Liam that she hoped to see him around. Liam made it known that she most definitely would.

The following day, Quinn was strolling through the hallways at school with her headphones in like she always did. Her music quickly stopped to go to the next track. She heard her name being called and guess who it was? Liam. She took her headphones out. He was trying to catch up to her and grab her attention for about three minutes. She apologized.

He proclaimed, “You don’t look too happy to be here.“

“I rather be anywhere else but here,” she replied.

“Nuuurr!” he yelled in protest. Quinn looked at him funny.

“Is that even English?” she replied.

He laughed and shrugged his shoulders telling her that he just wanted her to smile. He complimented both her laugh and smile. They then planned on meeting up after school, and she offered to give him a ride home. Liam knew for sure that he could not turn that offer down.

School couldn’t have gone by slower. Quinn just wanted to see Liam and Liam just wanted to see Quinn. Once school ended and Quinn was searching for her keys while sprinting to her car, she looked up and he was standing there waiting for her. They climbed into the car and asked each other how their day was, then Quinn put on music. He looked at Quinn as soon as the music started playing because it was his favorite song. They had the same music taste. From that day on, they became part of each other’s daily routine. They became best of friends even though everyone knew there was something more between them.

They were with each other everyday, before school and after. Just for the fun of it, they would take trips to the store, sit in the car, have talks, listen to music, sit in silence, do homework, anything and everything. As long as they were together, anything could be fun. Quinn loved when they would sit in the car exchanging secrets, hopes and dreams. Liam would always tempt to freestyle, which was very entertaining to her. She loved listening to his stories. She loved hearing him talk. Quinn also loved seeing his smile. She loved being there for him when he was at his lowest points. She loved being his shoulder to cry on; the way he made her feel. She loved that she could be herself. She loved that he never failed to make her smile. Quinn shared a hope of hers for the future. Quinn told Liam that one day she hoped to own a teacup pig.

“Why?” he questioned.

“Pigs,” she exclaimed, “they tend to wiggle when they walk.”

“They wiggle and they waddle,” repeated Liam. He then shared a hope he has. “I just don’t want you to be alone,” he said while his expression changed. That was one night that Quinn would never forget. She was left speechless and sat there staring into his eyes. Liam started to rap, “I bounce on a ball.”

Quinn decided to finish it off with “ I sure hope I don’t fall.” They laughed for hours. He started being sarcastic and so was she. Sarcasms was like their secret language.

“Well, I mean, then just don’t fall, it’s not that hard to do,” he said, looking annoyed at her. She rolled her eyes. They glanced at one another. Quinn loved that night because Liam made it feel like time just stopped. He made her forget about all the bad in the world. That night is the night, she knew she had fallen in love.

“I think it’s too late for me not to fall because I already have,” revealed Quinn.


The author's comments:

I was challeneged to create a story that included five random different sentences or pharses that were given to me. It was definitely a challenge, but it was enjoyable.