The Neighbor | Teen Ink

The Neighbor

It was a nice and beautiful sunny day today. The old man, as usual, would go out and water the plants and would meander around his garden for no actual purpose. Every day the man that lives across the street would greet him in a congenial manner. His deportment seemed off and a bit odd. The expression on his face looks like he doesn’t really care and is trying to hide something and put up a brave and happy facade. I continued on with my day and read newspapers all day.

The old man didn’t do much, just sitting on his sofa reading a newspaper. After dinner, he read a book and went to bed. I didn’t like sleeping early, I just watched stayed up all night reading a very interesting book. While reading I heard a loud and horrifying scream, it sounded like the old man. What happened? Did he fall? Is he being attacked? I have no clue, but I have a feeling it was that man. After I heard the scream I immediately called the police. Shortly after the police arrived, I told them about the man. I looked out my window and in the old man’s house, I saw him.

The police confronted him and they were about to leave, but then he had a conversation with them.  I fell asleep for some time and woke up in the morning. Later while reading the newspaper I saw the man’s face on there. It read “ Insane man killed an elderly man at night and admits it”. I knew that man couldn’t be trusted and that he was suspicious.

I was inspired by the story “The Tell-Tale Heart”. After I read the book, I was thinking about what was happening in other people’s lives. I was thinking how the old man felt during the murder, his eye and his neighbors. My teacher has always told me to always look at another person's perspective. I thought it would be very interesting to tell the story from someone else's perspective. What I hope that people will get from this is people will be more open-minded and view things from multiple perspectives.