White | Teen Ink

White

By JocelynTang3527 BRONZE, Staten Island, New York
JocelynTang3527 BRONZE, Staten Island, New York

"Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Benjamin M. Baruch

The deafening bombs rang noisily in my brain, increasing like a rapid meteorite flailing through the empty, hollow universe before ultimately penetrating Earth's surface. I was blindly running away from the turbulence, forcefully hoisting my feet in order to prod through the disheveled ground amongst other panicked citizens also wishing to flee. My heavy legs greatly slowed me down but I plunged on, enduring my agony and fatigue. The billows of smoke impaired my vision and my bare feet felt terribly vulnerable as I ventured along the brewing mass of destruction. I desperately tried to reclaim my conscience through the chaos but it was all in vain. The thunderous sounds of incoming bombs still tolled menacingly in my ears, trying to submerge my rattling brain into a perpetual coma. My aimless run away from the intruders seemed futile.

As time scurried along in the unceasing tumult, my throbbing body and drained soul felt utterly beaten and battered. I was reaching my limit. My speed had greatly diminished and the ringing noises penetrated my mind once more. The bombs' calls reached my ears and enticingly drew me in. I suddenly felt ready to succumb to my fate and reunite with my blessed family above. The entrancing sounds caught a firm grasp of these thoughts, ceasing my escape. My feet had stopped moving. I found my mind at ease as I stood there in the midst of the crowd awaiting my family's welcoming arms. The warm welcome that would bring us all together in safe repose.

The cloud of black dust hovered amongst the scenery as I persisted this idle stall. I felt my body being ruthlessly pushed in the pandemonium but I no longer cared. It didn't matter anyway. Because through the crimson-stained environment, through the everlasting chaos, through the countless years I had suffered in fear, I saw a tint of white. That white was going to save me from my misery.

And then I finally saw it.

Heaven.

I had always longed to go there. Now I would be freed from this disarming nightmare and peacefully disappear. I shifted my direction and faced the threatening bombers. I felt no fear at all. It was a sensational feeling, for some reason, with no worries creeping through my mind. And although my eyesight was hazy, I had seen it perfectly. A large, explosive bomb about to detonate right on top of me. It was charging with full force, I did nothing, for I was about to meet my family again. There was nothing to be afraid of. I was invincible. The white would shower me in bliss and I would be happy once again. I knew it. This would be my savior. I would be free. And then everyth-

This is a piece of flash fiction I wrote when I envisioned the sheer terror and feelings of hopelessness I would feel during a bombing. I hope that people get a sense of the thoughts that may have ran through the minds of countless victims. I hope this motivates others to take time to appreciate what they have and, no matter how cliché it may sound, to truly live life to the fullest.