Nothing to Something | Teen Ink

Nothing to Something

By KarelyCarranza SILVER, Sacramento, California
KarelyCarranza SILVER, Sacramento, California

“Corre, Corre” ,were the only words I heard coming out of tios mouth while running in the middle of the desert. The only thoughts going through my head are I’m going to get caught I’m not going to make it. I hid behind a big bush and watched while my tio was getting tackled by immigration. I was making sure that they didn’t spot me because once they did i wasn’t going to make it. I watched as they took him away and looked around before i started running again. I had 2 miles to go and i was there, i was finally going to make it to “heaven”. I started running like never before and found myself in front of an old tire shop, realizing that i got to the US.

Having no family and finding my own way around is the hardest thing ever. I’m thinking to myself how am I going to get through this by myself I have nobody. I hardly knew any english and didn’t really have money to get around. I walked for about an hour and found myself in a beautiful beach that brought me back home. “Beinte pesos, beinte pesos.” Were the words stuck in my head from when I would sell bread with my mom on the beach. The tall green palm trees refresh my memory of my country, my home. The warm sand between my toes reminded me how hard I have to work for me and my family to live a better life. Seeing any cop brought me back to my tio getting taken by immigration. It made me wonder what his life is going to be for him now.
         I went out searching for a job. I found a lady named Guadalupe who said she can help me have a better life, she took me in and helped me get a job.

“Levantate es hora de ir a trabajar.” She shouted

“Ahora voy.” Was my response.

I was so glad that I was going to start working and make my life much better for my family and I. I was now able to send money to my parents so they can live a comfortable life. Every morning Guadalupe and I would go to work. It was a low paying job but it got us through life. Two months later Guadalupe was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. My life was really going to be over this time. She’s the one that got me out from where I was, it felt like everything I had was getting taken away.

“Te dejo mi casa y mis pertenencias.” Where her last words.

I started bawling she always wanted me to have a better life and now I can because of her. I started thinking about my tio which made me cry even more. Now ima able to bring my tio and my parents, they can live their best life next to me. I searched for ways to bring my family. I found a coyote that’s able to bring them, $600 each. I knew that it was almost impossible for me to make that much money but I wasn’t going to give up. My dream has always been to be in the US with my parents and live our best life.