On The Run | Teen Ink

On The Run

March 5, 2018
By OnePunchMan SILVER, Sacramento, California
OnePunchMan SILVER, Sacramento, California
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I don't quit, I don't run, and I don't ever go back on my word because that's my ninja way!"- Naruto Uzumaki/ Masashi Kishimoto


 North Korea, January 31, 2013

“The military is on their way, they are killing every men in this neighborhood. I’ve got to escape from this place, it’s not safe anymore.” Escaping was the only thought on my mind. I heard a knock on the door.

“ KIM TSUNG HYUNG, GET OUT NOW!!!!!!”, the soldier yelled. In a panic I ran out the back door. I ran, I ran, and I ran. I didn’t have anywhere to go. Nowhere was safe for me. The soldiers were always around, every single corner. Everywhere I looked, dead bodies caught my eye. Tears dropped my my eyes as I ran pass them. I ran to my relatives house.

Pounding on the door, “UNCLE JOE PLEASE OPEN THE DOOR!”
As Uncle Joe opens the door, “What’s the matter Kim?,” he asked.
“Uncle Joe you’ve got to help me get away from this country, the military soldiers are raiding my neighborhood and killing all of the men,”  I replied.

I listened to Uncle Joe’s words, the only way to get out of this country was… escape by train. “Uncle it’s not safe here anymore, please come with me,” I said.
My uncle and I packed our belongings and left the house. Trying to avoid getting caught we took the long way to the train station. 45 minutes of listening to gunshots and screams, we finally arrive to our destination. We heard the train coming alast. My uncle and I started to climb to the top of the train, but soldiers spotted us. We started climbing faster and faster.

I was on top trying to help my uncle, but the train started moving and then… my uncle fell off the train. Soldiers took him away, while I was sitting on top of the train crying like a child. I then said to myself, “ Thank you uncle, because of you I might have a chance to have a better life.” A couple of hours later I arrive in South Korea. As soon as I got off the train I said,” I did it.” I collapse onto my hands and knees.

Hours later I wake up in a home. I then meet the Suyong’s of the house. They took me in and helped me get back on track with life. The environment is a lot different in South Korea. I don’t have to worry about soldiers, bodies, or shootings anymore. As time went by I forgot all about the past. I’ve now have my own family and my own house, also the Suyong family have also put me in their family too, so that’s amazing. I’m glad to have escape prosecution from North Korea. It’s all thanks to you uncle. I will never ever forget you. “Thank you…,” I said to myself as I cried.
 


The author's comments:

I'm not really good at telling stories, but I tried.