Mayor Landfill | Teen Ink

Mayor Landfill

December 11, 2017
By Error78 SILVER, Woodbounre, New York
Error78 SILVER, Woodbounre, New York
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Listen, If you was a fish, Mother Nature'd take care of you, wouldn't she? Right? You don't think them fish just die when it gets to be winter, do ya?" -The Catcher in The Rye


“Mayor is more that a word, its a meaning. A meaning to serve and protect this town, at any cost it takes this town is safe. I know I only have been mayor for the past three months but this place is already back on it feet. Families have fallen but we help them pick themselves up, we help each other. This town is our family.”
The Mayor babbles on about how the town is a big family. News reporter after reporter crowds around the poptem. They could just be here because Katherine Hepburn grew up in this town. I never really understand why they were there, it’s not like he was making some big news. It was just a normal day in the town, Fenwick, Connecticut with the population of forty-four. No surprise when we found out this mayor got elected, he showed up a year ago looking for a house. Lucky for him my parents were renting out the basement room, yeah he still lives there. Mike is his name, Mike is a very strange man very, very strange. He does stuff without explaining or giving warning.


“This town so much more that just a town we made it into our family, and family does not turn against each other. So when I say this I say it out of love to my family. We have a hundred and nine-five acros, and we are not using it all at once. Everyone has been bugging me for a month now about a park. Well besides a park what about a landfill? Landfills are much better than a park and cost much less. Landfills get rid of things we don’t want, what we can’t have. That is no longer valuable to use, we get rid of, and landfills help with that. Parks do not.”


Mike does things like this, things without explanation. That was the beginning of it all, the uprise of our town and, the breakdown of the world. The end for this family.

 

The press starts to rumble on about how this will help our economy. But I don’t think this will help our economy at all. A man with a white shirt that said “Waste Management”, walks up onto the stage. He gives a handshake to the mayor and gives him a smirk. The man walks up to the microphone and takes a look around. I understand why the priest is here now.


“Hello my name is John and I run the Waste Management company. You might of heard of us already, we have become a household name. We are currently the largest waste service provider, Waste Management was founded in 1968. Current market value is at $40.09, with over 20 million customers we think of ourselves as to be a family. Now we like to extend our family to all of you.”


All forty-three of us stared at each other in stun. A peaceful little town and landfills? Something just doesn’t add up and I was bon to find out.


Later that day my mom and I were talking about the landfill situation. Till The mayor walked in. Everyone's eyes locked into each other, we were at a stand still. No words, no moves, and no reaction. His eyes were hiding something, just don’t know what yet. The mayor reaches into his pocket then shakes his head, he lets go of what was in his pocket. He headed down the stairs.


“What was that all about?” I was concerned and confused.


“Was he going for his gun?”


We didn’t say anything after that, all we did was think. Think about what is going to happen next. That night I didn’t sleep. How could you sleep on a night like this, landfills not parks. Family doesn’t turn against each other? What the hell is he talking about?


A few months had passed and nothing really changed much. The kids play in the landfills that were built, i think it might just be them rebelling about the parks. The Mayor doesn’t say anything about it though. A few more months later the kids started to get ill, very ill. Mothers kept them away from the landfills, as far as possible. But nothing could help the children at this point. Ten of the children passed away in a few days, another ten got ill within weeks. None of them ever went near the landfill. But all of them passed away. All twenty children died within this town, no children left. Kids are the weakest when it comes to poison. The Mayor still did nothing to stop this.


The newscast showed up a week later after they heard about the death of the small children and two teens. The teenagers were starting to become sick, the poison grew thicker and thicker. We made the headlines the next day reading, “Small Town Went from Forty-four People to Twenty within a Month”. Some of the weaker adults started to become sick, one of them was the Mayor. The Mayor was the first to go then my mother, the town slowly died. I took over as Mayor at the age of eighteen, strong and powerful. All the landfills were ripped out and as long as the poison, people that were still sick, did not make it. The town of Fenwick, Connecticut witht the population on three.