Reunited | Teen Ink

Reunited

By p.webbie BRONZE, New Port Richey, Florida
p.webbie BRONZE, New Port Richey, Florida

My palms are a little sweaty and my nerves out of control. The cold crisp air of the coffee shop isn't helping. I sit here at a small rounded table centered of the window waiting patiently. I fiddle with my dainty opal ring on my right ring finger hoping it will give me inspiration for what to say. I look around the bricked walls to find old portraits and memories from significant times this place has had. It reminded me of the memories we had together. I hope she remembers them. 

I begin to notice a girl walk in. She was a little lost from what I could see. She seemed to be looking for someone. For me? 

"Allison?" I called out softly but loud enough for her to hear. 

She came running toward me with open arms as her eyes filled with tears. Through her tears I could see them brighten just from the look of me. I quickly get up and catch her as we fall into each other's arms. 

We bear hugged for at least five minutes before we sat across from one another. It felt kind of weird sitting in front of her. Looking at her since so much time has passed. 

Allison was my best friend in high school. Well my best friend for life. We have known each other since we were two years old. Our parents were very close since they were kids as well. Allison had light blonde hair that reached down to the middle of her back and bright green eyes. A body fit for a magazine swim suit model. She was captain of cheerleading squad we were both on at the time. One of the top dogs at our school. I was only co-captain so nothing special. But Allison had this way with people. Always made everyone feel included and loved no matter the circumstance. Her personality was outgoing and passionate with a hint of sympathy and love. Such an extrovert she was. Always confident and reaching to be her best self. Allison was leader never a follower. Till she was kidnapped. 

She was taken five years ago. During our sophomore year of high school. Both so young and innocent.
 "Its been too long Allison" I said with a shaky voice. Holding myself back from telling what has happened since she was taken. 

"Yes. H..How long exactly?" She questioned. 

That’s when it hit me. She had no idea how long she has been gone. My eyes filled with tears as I start to remember all the things that happened when she was gone. All the things we planned on doing together but never did. 

"Five" Was the only thing I could say before she cut me off. 

"Months?"

"I wish" As I wiped a tear running down my face. Before continuing what I had to say. 

"Years" I finally finished. 

Allison's eyebrows firmed in confusion. She didn’t realize exactly how much time has passed. I could see her struggling to understand. I placed my hand on top hers that was resting on the edge of the table to reassure her I was here. She pulled away with fear as I saw the rope burns and scratched on both her wrists and up her arms. I gave her a simple nod and let her process the information that was just given to her. 

"Five years? I..I've..I've been gone for five years?" She questioned as it sounded like she was on the verge of crying. 

"Yes, but we are together again at last. You've made it back and that’s all that matters now" I said as I grabbed her hands with both mine. I wanted her to feel safe with me. To let her know I am here and never leaving. 

"I bet you're wondering what happened while you were gone" I said. 

"That’s all I could think about from the moment I was taken" 

"I accomplished some our goals. Like graduating. When I walked out on stage to receive my diploma, I kept searching the audience and the other graduates to find you. I checked the doors and exits to hope you would burst through one of them and run into my arms. You didn’t. Your parents came and hoped the same. They told me they would've been proud of their little girl for making it. For just being you through all of high school. They wanted to give you that new car you've had your eye on since freshman year. You know the one you saw in that magazine with big red bow on top? They wanted you to add them into the valedictorian speech you would've given but never did. I just wanted you to be there. To cheer you on as loud as I could. But I couldn’t" 
 She pulled her hands away to wipe her tears but that didn’t stop me from telling her what has happened. 
 "I also bought a studio apartment near our dream college. The one I am attending now actually. All thanks to you" I said with a smile. 

I could see the pain in her eyes as she bared a smile with a few more tears. I knew she wanted to be there. But she is here now and I want to accomplish new goals with her. I just need to know what happened. 

"Wow. I guess I did miss a lot. And that’s all I could think about. Was you and my family and how I needed to get back to you guys" Allison said.

"I need to know what happened to you. To understand. To know why you have those burns and bruises. I can see them and you can feel the pain from them. So tell me. Only if you're ready". I said as I took a sip from my coffee that was placed to the left of me. 

"It started out as a normal day. I woke up at the same time I normally do, nothing out of the normal. I went to school and came home. After I finished my homework it was time for me to go to work. My usual 3:00pm to 8:30pm shift. Nothing seemed wrong until a well-dressed couple approached me. They claimed they were model agents looking for new models in the area. It's not something I wanted to do but it seemed interesting and I could always use the extra cash. I agreed to meet with them after my shift to discuss what would happen if I said yes. They explained how we would travel out of Arizona to California and to their office where we would do more shoots. He said I could make a thousand or two so I said yes and asked when we were leaving. He said now as he viciously took my arm and threw me into the back of his van. I hit my head and he drugged me so I would fall alseep faster. When I awoke we were somewhere in California close to where we were needed. In the van was also some other girls with me passed out as well and another man in the front of the van. He noticed I was awake and banged my head against the inside of the van. We arrived into the room and all us girls were sat onto bed. One by one they took them away. I heard them cry out many times before it fading, and never hearing it again. When it was only me a group of middle aged men came in. All with wives and children but insisted on me. And you know what happened after that. That night I was trapped in one of the roughest neighborhoods I have ever seen. I soon figured out we were in a garbage of an apartment complex. They asked me if I was hungry and I always said no and when I did, they tried to feed me dog biscuits. More than enough times. I couldn’t sleep that night, and not many afterward either. For the next few days I was kept in a dog crate. That’s when I was broken down and taken advantage of. After most nights of the first year I had no other choice but to give in. The next year I earned hundreds of dollars a night but it was all given to the pimp. For the next 40 or so days I was held captive and open for abuse. All I could think about was you. And what you were doing. And the last final years were a blur from how much I was being drugged. It was 5:30am when I decided I needed to leave. I needed to run for my life. I placed my suitcase in front the door when they were asleep and surly enough the phone rings. I hand my captor his phone and tell him I am going down stairs to smoke a cigarette. I grabbed my suitcase and ran to the elevator. Once I got outside I started running until I got as far away as possible." Allison said with a stream of tears running down her face. I wiped my tears from my chin and underneath my eyes. 

I had no idea how much pain she was in. But now I do. I stood up from my chair and walked over to her. I gave her the biggest hug she desperately needed. We just held each other. 

"Come home with me" I said with my arms wrapped around her. She looked up with a big smile on her face from ear to ear ignoring all her tears. She needed to be safe, and that is my new goal. I am going to show her all the pictures I have hung up of us, not knowing she would ever see them. I am going to bring her home.