Unexpected | Teen Ink

Unexpected

By Anago0917 BRONZE, Canton, Michigan
Anago0917 BRONZE, Canton, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Hi, I’m Mason, I'm going to college at Julliard I play the trombone. This year I’m going to be in a dorm room with my friend Blaine, he plays the viola. On the first Friday of the school year, there is an after-school rehearsal and auditions for the performance of bagatelles op.126. the only one who I know is Blaine but he seems to know everyone. Blaine comes up to me and brings someone with him,

“Hey Mason this is my friend, his name is Colby,” he declared.
At auditions Colby pulls out his flute and it is the most beautiful thing that I’ve ever heard “he’s good” I kept thinking to myself. Now it's my turn to audition, I'm so nervous when I play my sweaty hands can barely grasp the slide to make it move, I don’t get into rehearsal. All of a sudden I start having flashbacks . . .  no please stop!  It's these feelings that h Please! I cant handle it! I won’t tell anyone! Just please stop! No! . I wake up in the hallway with everyone staring at me.

(At the dorm later)

“Hey,” what was that all about? ” asked Blaine
“It was nothing,” I said.
“No it was, I know you,” he
“Do you know Devyn and Noah?,” I asked
“ yeah” Blaine answered

He spoke with fear in his voice like he knew what I was going to say but I’m sure that he didn’t.
“She cheated on me with him and then Noah beat me up to the point where I couldn’t move,” I confessed
“No, I thought that you said that you fell down the stairs!?,”
“I didn’t want him to come after me again” I shuddered.

(a noise from outside)

“Hey, guys come and see this,”
“Let's go,” Blaine remarked.
“ why are the west dorms on fire?!!!!”

The next day we all get a call from the administrators saying that we don’t have classes today for investigational purposes, and anyone who was affected by the fire will not have their money replaced and that they should find someone to stay with because it would be a long time until they would be rebuilt.

“Hey Blaine I’m going for a run,” I yelled
On a bench near the river, I saw a person laying on the bench and I felt compelled to stop and look at him,
“Hey,” I commented then I realized that it was Blaine,  I had to convince him to stay with us, “you cant stay out here,” I told him.

“I’m going to go,” he murmured
“Where,” asked Blaine?
“I'm going to the rehearsal of orchestra da camera di Roma, I didn't want Mason to find out because I didn't want him to pass out again” he empathized
“I’m going on a run,” he told Colby
I was sitting in my room and i heard them talking, i figured that once they left that i would make some food. In the middle of making my garbage plate it happened again.
Why . . . i can't, please!!!, devyn please help! . . . !!, please stop this!!!

I wake up with the administrators in my room.

“Hey val, ” he questioned
“yeah” replies the other man
“I'm starting to think that there's something wrong with this guy” he admitted
“Me too” he added
Then i realized that it was time that i should start moving before they called an ambulance, but i heard all of what they were saying. The next day i go to my classes and i have exams but of course i didn’t study for them because I’m too busy caring what other people think of me.

At my last class of the day (composers forum) i see Colby and i end up sitting far away from him, i mean It’s not like we’re good friends or anything. Five minutes later we are partnered up for a big assignment that is due in a month, it is required to have at least one coda, 4 pages long, it has to be for a chamber symphony, it has to have all different parts and harmonies, at least 5 minor chords, a tempo between 130 and 200, one suboto or accelerando, a minimum of 5 dynamic changes, one key change, at least 4 accidentals, one time signature change, 10 accents, and you have to present your favorite part.

“C’mon,” colby insisted.

It was we knew the notes, like they were our close friends. We finished it in half of a week.

The next day we decided that we wanted to add more chords, when I look at the music again he edited exactly what i was going to edit, then it happened again. NOAH, why would you do this to me, . . . devyn please tell me why!. . . .
I wake up in the on campus medical center with the nurses looking in my eyes to make sure that i didn’t have a stroke. They said that i could go home but i had to check in one more time today or tomorrow to make sure that nothing serious is going on.

In class the next day we told mr. bloc that we were done, he replied with “well then it won't be a problem if you present tomorrow then,?”
“i totally forgot about that” i murmured
“Me too”added Colby
The next day i felt like it was going to happen again but it was probably just the lack of sleep from practicing all night what we were going to perform. At class that day i was really hoping that he would forget but i brought my trombone and colby brought his flute.

“Boys, come and present you favorite part of the music” he yelled As we go up this feeling seems to get worse and like i don’t have control over my arms, legs, or neck. We get set up and i still feel this odd feeling and it even seems to be getting worse but i tell myself that i will not faint in front of the whole class. Right before we start playing Colby looks at me, i still remember that moment so vividly because that was the moment that i realized that i loved him.

this story is about Mason and his anxiety attacks, he loves music but then he realizes that he loves something else too.

on Dec. 5 2017 at 9:18 am
njbenwa052 BRONZE, Canton,MI, Michigan
I love your story @Anago0917