Better Things | Teen Ink

Better Things

October 18, 2017
By Britttneh SILVER, Martinsburg, West Virginia
Britttneh SILVER, Martinsburg, West Virginia
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

        Brittle leaves crunched beneath the feet of people busily rushing down the streets. The chilled air gasped in small puffs and whirls against their skin, their perfectly coiffed hair budging slightly in the wind. A sense of the cool fall weather lingered in the air, to which most didn't pay mind.

        A small cup cradling between the hands of a hunched man provided ample warmth to the frigid tips of his fingers, and the steam wafting from its lid tingled his senses from head to toe.

        People walked to and fro before him. Businessmen in suits, and women in dresses and shoes costing more money than he'd likely ever see in his entire life. They looked past the changing of leaves on the small city trees, and the wafting smells of pumpkin and spice from the small shops surrounding them. The devices in their hands allured them more than the stunning change of season occurring just before their eyes.

        Their pearl necklaces, Rolex watches, and advanced technologies seemed to be all they desired, everything they could ever want just the touch of a button away.

        They happily busied themselves within their own materialistic items, with blank stares at every click of a button, while the man hunched over on the bench gently sipped from his warm styrofoam cup.

        He watched the world around him in simple contentment.

        The world of wispy clouds lacing the baby blue sky, brilliant orange leaves falling from their trees, and a pumpkin spice scent flowing through the air. All of which busied the poor old man, who smiled over his cheap pumpkin-spiced coffee he had skipped his breakfast to afford.

        He sipped again, watching the people who were busy with better things.