Mosquitoes, Trees and Hidden Places | Teen Ink

Mosquitoes, Trees and Hidden Places

By wildhorses6000 SILVER, Kanata, Ontario
wildhorses6000 SILVER, Kanata, Ontario

I see mosquitoes everywhere. They  latch onto those who look good enough to pierce into. They are not bad people, these mosquitoes. But, I cannot stand them. I will never repeat my past, but it will come back to haunt me.

My name is Hanna Bloom and I come from a place where mosquitoes flood the streets. They hover around others and learn their secrets. But, I am only afraid of those who bite. I am afraid of those like Quinn, and my father.

I am tired of these mosquitoes.

I must use my knowledge of the forest and remember the cruel hidden places, and of course, the mosquitoes, especially the ones that bite, to survive.

Chapter 1: Part 1-Mosquitoes

If there is one insect I cannot stand it is the mosquito. I rather the itchy bites than the taunting way they hover. I find there are mosquitoes in human nature, willing to furtively watch you in attempt to discover anything worthy of talking about. It seems people will go to great lengths just to keep themselves occupied or, in other cases, to raise their social status within the vast sea of people.

I do recognize that I am a little odd compared to others. Not in the quirky kind of way, but in a way that makes others wonder why I don't behave similarly. I'm not saying I'm psychotic or even slightly crazy. Don't get me wrong, I am just as much human as anyone else walking this earth.

The thing is, I do not want to fit in. My life has been a roller coaster of Do's and Don'ts and it took a while, but I realized that following these limitations and cornering myself with labels wasn't who I was. There is much more serenity and beauty among this world that can be easily used, instead of belonging to a crowd, to ease the mind. I do understand that those who need company. I myself do miss the company of others. However, I cannot say I would rather the presence of a mosquito than of being alone.

People tend to hover, alike mosquitoes. They do not care for keeping to themselves because that would only push others away, and loneliness is often a horrid thing to endure.

I was once a mosquito, just as you or the majority of people seem to be. I do not regret this past. If it were not for my carelessness and anxieties I would have never understood what it's like to be an average human being. Comprehending the very nature of human beings is crucial for survival. Although that very survival can depend on what you are trying to accomplish. Are you just trying to survive school, or maybe something a bit more complex? The survival and experience of true happiness is what I am looking to conquer. However, I still find that understanding others is needed, even if I rarely converse with them.

When you begin to experience loneliness, an endless cycle of thoughts will be your only companion. This contemplation of life, in which I do often, begins to get repetitive and I end up wishing, almost every time, that I had a real person, not a mosquito, to share these ideas with.

I don't think all mosquitoes are necessarily malevolent. In fact I do not really believe any one is evil. Although the ones that do bite are a different story.

I feel as if I see the world in a different lens, but I think that there may be someone out there that shares that lens. I hope to find that person soon.  However, as I sit here in my narrow little room I begin to believe that the possibility of someone understanding how I feel, is very slight.

The only way to differentiate a real mosquito from a human mosquito, besides the obvious, is by listening carefully to the little white lies that only humans seem to master so skillfully. Mosquitoes do not have the capacity to understand this concept. I have a bit of an issue with this. I can't seem to lie as well as I use to be able to. This is a consequence of wanting to speak your mind. However, I would not change this if it meant that I had to think more narrow minded.

Yes, I do not tell lies.  

This piece is personal and is meant to make people feel as if they're not alone.