Drama Clubs and Football Games | Teen Ink

Drama Clubs and Football Games

January 19, 2017
By mikaelap993 SILVER, Wyckoff, New Jersey
mikaelap993 SILVER, Wyckoff, New Jersey
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments


I sit in fourth period and tap my foot. I’m performing tonight. It’s the night I’ve been waiting for, just like everyone else who’s in the crew. Our set is ready and looks great, my costume is finished, and my lines are memorized. I feel giddy knowing that all of the stress of the last few months is going to be released in a three show run. Months of preparing, studying, and rehearsals have gotten me to my position now, and looking back I feel sad knowing that after Saturday, the show will be over, forever. One of the many things I do to prepare for my show is going around to the lunch tables trying to sell tickets (not my choice). This is my least favorite of the pre-show prep. My thoughts get interrupted by the bell. I gather my things and hurry to lunch.
At lunch I desperately try to get someone to buy a ticket, just one person. The other kids always see me coming with my box and they immediately get quiet. I tell them why I’m here and finish with “would you like to buy a ticket?”. When I say this they look like I just asked them to chop off an arm. No, worse. They look at the money box like it’s the edge of a cliff that leads into the abyss of social suicide. Long story short, buying a ticket would be the last thing they are about to do. At least they try to be polite about it, I don’t even ask the athletes anymore. The last thing on their mind is theater. I decide to skip their table and go to a relatively nice looking table.
“Hi I’m from the drama club, and would you like to buy a ticket for the show for five dollars?”. The girls look at each other. I get quick glances.
“Um, I can’t find any money. I’m sorry. Good luck, though” The girl sittings nearest to me says. Then she gives me a small, polite smile, and I give a small smile back.
“That’s okay! Have a nice day!” I was required to say that. I turn and walk away. As I bring the empty money box back to it’s place, the bell rings and I walk to sixth period.
I take my seat in sixth period. My teacher, Mr. Johnson, is funny. All the kids like him. The bell rings and everyone gets quiet. Mr. Johnson starts off the period with a squeaking expo on the board. As I finally see that he wrote ‘Research Project Research- Due tomorrow’, I begin to worry. This is a new assignment, and I’m positive I didn’t forget about it. My hand shoots up.
“Uh, Mr. Johnson?”
“Yes” he answers working on his computer.
“You wrote that there’s a research for the project due tomorrow. Um, the show is tonight.”
“Oh, I forgot about that. Well, that’s a coincidence!” He laughs to himself a little.
“Mr. Johnson, I have to be at school until 7 tonight. The show is two hours, then there’s a tradition where we all go out for dinner.”
“You have the four hours in between when school ends and your show starts. I’m sure you’ll have time for this.” He says this and I know it’s final. I sink down in my seat in defeat. He never assigns an entire research project due the next day! Why is he starting now? I sit in my seat and wait for the bell to ring so I can got to my next period.

As I walk to the auditorium at the end of the day, I get looks from all the athletes that were at lunch today. I ignore them and keep walking. I hear them yelling, but when are they not yelling? I roll my eyes. They can be really obnoxious sometimes. Then, one of them gets my attention.
“Hey, you’re in the musical, right? You sell tickets during fifth period lunch?” He shouts to me from across the hall.
“Uh, yeah, why?” I shout back still not turning around. I don’t get a response, just some nauseating laughter.
The same one shouts back, “That’s so lame”.  I roll my eyes at the terrible insult and kept walking. But apparently the rest of the football team thought it was hilarious, because they are laughing even harder now and they can’t seem to stop. I just push past it and finally I’m in the safety of the auditorium.I shut the doors behind me. I’m in my sanctuary. I breathe in and the smell of the freshly painted stage fills my nose. I exhale a sigh of relief. I’m home.
It’s showtime and my hair is curled and my makeup is done. I’m waiting backstage for my cue. I can’t go to the diner tonight, I need to do my research project. When there’s a game, none of the teachers give this much homework. As I hear the line that marks my entrance, I walk onto the stage, the lights hitting my face. I feel as though I’m glowing and I smile from ear to ear. As I look out there are only the first couple of rows filled, and I’m mad. Everyone goes to the football games. There are announcements after announcements for the football games, but no mentions for the drama club? I push the thought out of my mind and prepare for my line. This has to change.