Clarification is Key (Olivia, Jacob, and the Boots) | Teen Ink

Clarification is Key (Olivia, Jacob, and the Boots)

By kcinthehouse GOLD, Lincolnshire, Illinois
kcinthehouse GOLD, Lincolnshire, Illinois

"Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard."-Tim Notke

Olivia Jackson woke up to the shrieking sound of her wake up timer. Stretching her arms upward, she slowly started to wake up.

Gradually she opened her shades and let the daylight leak through and light up the once dull room. Loaded with vitality for 6:45am, Olivia began to plan for work. Cushioning down the stairs, she understood that there was no time for a major breakfast. Rather, she quickly snatched an apple and a sack of pretzels, which would need to accomplish for now. Moving into her BMW, Olivia started the seven mile drive to the child daycare, Kiddie Cloud, where she worked.

Slaughtering the motor, Olivia strolled up the means prompting to the energetic looking building. Pushing open the entryways, Olivia was welcomed by Mrs. Frank, the proprietor of the child daycare, at the front work area. She could hear shouts, screeches, and giggles of little children behind her.

"Hi Mrs. Frank, how are you this fine morning?"

"I am doing admirably, thank you dearie", Mrs. Frank answered with enthusiasm,"and yourself?"

"Quite well. So where am I beginning today?" Olivia asked enthusiastically. She adores investing energy with the little tykes.

"Gracious! The children are going outside today. With all the snow yesterday, I figured the children would need to go discharge their energy, building snowmen, having snowball battles, and whatever they do in the snow now-a-days. Might you be able to be a dear and help them get their snow gear on? Paradise knows I am not equipped for it any longer" she said with a little laugh.

"Affirm, I will head on over right now."

Strolling into the cubby room, Olivia saw the kids and laughed. A couple of them were on the ground attempting to bind up their boots, while others were turning in circles, pursuing the other arm sleeve of their coat. Strolling up and down the cubby isles, Olivia helped the youngsters into their snow stuff. At last, as she neared the finish of the lines of cubbies, she went over one of her most loved children at Kiddie Cloud, Jacob Williams. With humongous chestnut doe-eyes, and wavy hair, an indistinguishable hue from his eyes, he was one of the kids who did not have many friends or companions to play with. That is the reason Olivia in a flash favored him. He emerged from the other kids not on account of he was distant from everyone else, but rather in light of the fact that he had such a great amount of verve  in him, and he was amazingly kind.

Moving toward the little youngster, she grinned. As Jacob looked at her, his eyes broadened, and he gave her a toothy grin, in spite of the greater part of his stuff everywhere throughout the floor.

"Hi Ms. Olivia!!!" he welcomed her with much energy.

"Hi Jacob, how are you doing?” Olivia asked, twisting down so she could meet him eye to eye.

"Ohkway...but I can't get on my snow stuff. It's diligent work." He misrepresented by wiping fanciful sweat off his small little brow.

Grabbing his coat, she saw that it was back to front.

"Well then, I can help you put your jacket and boots on." Olivia said. She realized that it may require him a long investment to prepare, and did not need him to miss playing in the snow, particularly since it was such a lovely day outside.

"Yes please."

Gradually, yet doubtlessly, Jacob was layered with his snow stuff. Before sufficiently long, the main thing left to put on was his boots. Grabbing the first boot with her hand, Jacob stuck his little foot out towards her and squirmed his toes. Olivia took the boot and continued to embed his foot into the boot. She then understood that the boot would not go the distance in. Murmuring, she attempted over and over, yet the boot still would not move. After five minutes, as though by some marvel, the boot by one means or another slipped on. Olivia was doing a triumph dance in her mind, until she realized the other boot still needed to be put on his other foot. After another round of battles, she was at last done. Olivia stood up and extended her back, however when she looked down, she saw that he was all the while staying there, gazing toward her hopefully.

Hunkering down once more, Olivia asked,"Jacob sweetie, what’s wrong?"

"I thought my feet should point inside, not outside Ms. Olivia."

"What do you mean your feet are pointing outside, Jacob?"

"Well my toes are poking out this way" He moved his feet outward "- rather than this way." He said, moving his feet inward so that they touched.

"Jacob, sweetie, your feet should go inward."

Poor Jacob appeared as though he was prepared to cry his eyes out. In any case, before any tears got away, Olivia immediately answered,"Your feet are ordinary. I recall myself from the last time I helped you with your shoes."

Jacob's persona instantly changed, as though someone had flipped a switch. His face then transformed into one of perplexity.

"Um, well, then I think my boots are on the wrong feet Ms. Olivia."

"Are you certain Jacob?" Olivia asked, hoping he was joking.

"I think so. My feet usually go inward, but right now they are going outward." Jacob expressed with certainty.

Looking down at Jacob's feet, she saw that he undoubtedly was correct. The finishes of the boots were indicating in the wrong course. Breathing out gradually, she pulled off his boots and began the irritating task of putting Jacob's boots on the RIGHT feet. After what felt like an unending length of time, yet as a general rule was just an additional 5 minutes of battling, Olivia had successfully recovered the right boots onto Jacob's feet. Standing up once more, she began to stroll back to help Mrs. Straight to the point with snack arrangements, until she understood that Jacob was still sitting on the floor, in an indistinguishable position from some time, gazing at his boots.

Walking back, she hunched down and said,"Sweetie, you can go outside."

Jacob’s gaze switched toward her, and began slowly,"No, I can't."

"Why not sweetie?" Olivia asked, tentatively and reluctantly.

"Since these aren't my boots."

"Are certain beyond a shadow of a doubt Jacob?"

He gestured to his boots, still looking her. Olivia fought the temptation to facepalm and let out an irritated groan of disappointment. How could those not be his boots? Each and every other kid was outside and the match of boots on his feet were the only ones left. Her understanding was beginning to wear thin, but since she was partial to Jacob, she attempted to be a little more patient.

Twisting down, she yanked off the boots. When she had both the boots in her grasp, she looked at Jacob before addressing him.

"Sweetie, if these aren't your boots, then where are yours? Did some other child take them away? Or did you forget to bring  them to childcare today?''

"Those are my brother’s  boots. My momma instructed me to wear them today because my boots don't fit me any longer." he said, as though it was the most evident thing on the planet.

Right then and there, Olivia was prepared to cry. Why did he not advise her before she took the boots off? It would have spared a great deal of inconvenience for her and him. He could play in the snow appropriate about at this point. Be that as it may, obviously that would be too simple. Rather, he is stuck in here with a young man and two rather little boots that are not cooperating.

Be that as it may, she chose to attempt handle the circumstance like a grown-up. For what felt like the hundredth time, Olivia began to insert Jacob's feet into the boots, when little drops of sweat began to trickle down the sides of her head. Understanding that she was beginning to sweat, she stood up. Taking a short breather, Olivia tied her long hair into a ponytail, and proceeded to help the small child sitting before her.

After what felt like an unending eternity, Olivia was effective in returning the boots on Jacob's little feet. Taking a seat on the floor, she sat tight for Jacob to move. Be that as it may, once more, he just sat there. She could see him squirming his toes through the boot. At that point he gazed toward her.

"Sweetie, what's wrong now?" Olivia whimpered. This time, she couldn't sift through the dissatisfaction in her voice. Obviously, regardless she enjoyed Jacob and everything, except even she had a farthest point.

"My gloves are in the bottom of my boots."

With that, Olivia fell backwards, and simply lay on the ground. Jacob stood up and drifted over her, boots being held on by his small, little hands.

"I'm sorry Ms. Olivia." Jacob fussed with a trembling base lip.

Moaning, Olivia delicately took the boots from his hands, gave Jacob a hug, and removed the gloves from the base of the boots. She then continued to put the boots back onto his holding up feet, for what she trusted and asked was the last time.

Sitting up, she took a glance at Jacob, and inquired as to whether everything was okie-dokie. Jacob just sat on the floor, twiddling his thumbs, with what resembled a liable demeanor, to Olivia, all over.

"Sweetie, please let me know there is nothing else wrong with the boots."

"Well Ms. Olivia, everything appears to be fine. But… I would prefer not to go outside. Can I please simply remain inside and help with the snacks?"

"Sweetie, why did you not ask in the first place? It would have saved a lot of trouble." she stated. Be that as it may, she really wanted to guffaw. Obviously something like this will undoubtedly happen some time in her life, however this was certainly not a test of tolerance she was anticipating.

Olivia continued to help Jacob remove his coat, and the troublesome boots. Afterward , she watched him while he put his stuff away. He then swung to her and reached hand out toward her. Grinning, she set his smaller hand into her greater one and they strolled back to the kitchen. Going back through the isles of cubbies, they were welcomed by a young little girl, sitting against the cubby, looking at her boots, which were on the wrong feet.