Just a Dream | Teen Ink

Just a Dream

December 29, 2016
By 1SistersR4Ever GOLD, Cliffside Park, New Jersey
1SistersR4Ever GOLD, Cliffside Park, New Jersey
10 articles 48 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire.” ― Catherine of Siena


Darkness, darkness for a split second and then the brightest lights the next. The lights are fuzzy and in array of colors. My eyes are tearing, the lights are so bright. Silence is broken by the sound of a piano being softly play. A note is played one after another, like the snowflakes in the nutcracker all are arranged in order. As the notes are playing my soul is playing as well. I am being lifted higher and higher until I am on a stage. The softness and stillness of the piano’s melody is challenged by the boisterousness and the anger from the violins that start to play. These violins are beckoning me, their calling to me to act. What am I supposed to preform? What shall I say or do? As the lights no longer impair my vision, I am struck with terror, because in front of me is a crowd of people. I see their faces of skepticism and impatience; they are all waiting on me. My hands are trembling, my voice is shaking, and in my head I am telling myself that this is all just a dream. Then all of sudden silence falls in the room, it is my cue, the microphone suddenly appears, the whole world is waiting on me to act, to sing. My feet move against my will, closer and closer to the mic. While my head says stop and run, my heart says: sing. I listen to my heart and the lyrics begin to follow. The piano, the violin, the crowd, my voice, and my heart are one. As the crowd applauds, I wake and realize it was all just a dream.


The author's comments:

This piece is inspired by a dream, a dream that ended when morning came. This dream is of a person who suffers from stage fright. She is about to perform in front of hundreds of people. However, instead of preparing for her turn, she takes in all of the details that surround her and is thus able to conquer her fear. In the end, she realizes it was all just a dream.