Shooting...Pics? | Teen Ink

Shooting...Pics?

By MachoNacho BRONZE, Erie, Colorado
MachoNacho BRONZE, Erie, Colorado

Jack looked through his lense, he focused on the squirrel and held his breath. He snapped the picture just before the squirrel took off up a tree. He’d been hiking all morning long trying to look for a black squirrel. He was really tired and running out of water so he decided to head back home. He’d hiked about 5 miles that day, his feet were sore and decorated in blisters. Jack figured it would be easier to head home and try a new trail tomorrow. He made it to the parking lot exhausted and disappointed. It was only 2 o'clock so Jack thought he’d head into town and see if he can’t snap a few pictures there.

Jack parked a few blocks away from downtown. He locked his car and started making his way downtown. He liked to take a lot of pictures of people, only when they weren’t paying attention to him though. He liked to see people’s natural expressions. He sat down on a bench not too far away from a fountain where people liked to hangout. He looked through his lense and was about to take a picture when all the sudden, someone sat down next to him and made him move. Jack was mad and turned to see who the person was. It was his friend Rick! They talked for a while about what he was doing and why Rick was downtown and so on. They talked for two hours and Jack didn’t even realize. He told Rick he had to get home and he made his way back to his car.

When Jack got home his mom asked him about his day and warmed him up a plate of the meatloaf she had made. After Jack had some dinner, he went up to his room to download and look at the pictures that he took. There wasn’t anything special, some decent ones of the squirrel but nothing that he hadn’t photographed before. Tomorrow Alex wanted to go back on his hike, then he wanted to go downtown at night. He loved downtown at night, it’s a whole different world downtown at night. Jack went to bed early so he could wake up with enough time to get ready.

Jack woke up and got his bag ready for the day. All he brought with him was his camera, extra batteries, water, snacks, and a phone charger. He made himself some coffee and started driving towards the mountains. He got to the trailhead parking lot and got out. He decided to take a longer hike since he had more time. It was chilly outside but the sun was coming up and he could feel the heat on his cheeks. He came to a point on the trail where a log had fallen over the trail. He walked up to it slowly and out of the corner of his eye, he saw a black squirrel jumped on the log. Jack stopped in his tracks, he got down on a knee and put camera up to his eye. He held his breath and started taking bursts of photos. After 10 sec of picture taking the squirrel, the squirrel ran down the hill.

Jack was so happy! He’d been trying to get that picture for 5 months now. Jack ran back to his car so he could go home and show his mom. He ran in the door and jumped up and down screaming I GOT IT! I GOT IT! He showed his mom, she gave him a hug and told him he was sooooo proud of him. Tired and full of joy, Jack went back upstairs and went back to bed before he took off on his night adventure downtown.

Jack woke up at about 7:30 and the sun was setting. He got up and got his gear back together. This time Jack wanted to go behind the apartments and see if he could find a homeless guy or two to take a picture of. Jack parked his car in a parking garage next to the police station. He started walking towards the apartments and walked behind where the garbage trucks go. He was coming around the corner when he heard a couple of guys arguing. He peeked over the corner with his camera ready to go. He had it up ready to take a picture when all of the sudden, one of the men pulled out a gun and shot the other guy. Jack was stuck with fear, he accidently clicked the button and took a picture. A giant flash filled the alley. The man with the gun turned around, they made eye contact. Jack began to run back to the police station.

The man with the gun chased him and shot at him as he turned down a block. Jack was running at full speed, he planned to run to the police station and get help. Jack saw the police station, he was about 3 blocks away. He had no idea where the man was but he didn’t care. The lights to the station were on and Jack ran up the stairs. He reached for the door handle and tried to open it…..it was locked. Jack turned and saw the man with the gun come around the corner. The man picked up the gun….BAM!!!