Something New | Teen Ink

Something New

By MariB GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
MariB GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware

I woke up this morning feeling like a new person. It’s not my birthday, and I’m definitely not in a new body, but something felt different about me. I got up and took a shower, got dressed for school then ate my breakfast. I looked down to my cereal bowl and found myself wondering, “Why am I not tired of this routine? I do this pretty much everyday but I never get tired of it.” I’m usually that person who gets bored easily when something has been done repeatedly.

As the minutes pass by, I looked at my watch and I’m going to miss my bus if I don’t leave in a minute. So I rushed my way outside the door, kissed my parents goodbye and said my I love you’s. But before I stepped out the door, something different happened,

“Have fun today! We’ll see you later,” said by my mom who usually says nothing but yes or no. We don’t go out after school and they never picked me up from school. Those two sentences were short but it made me run after for my bus. I’m never late since I have this daily routine but I guess something new’s going to happen today.

I almost missed the bus but I felt the adrenaline rush through my veins, it’s been awhile since I felt this. I never did anything special and will never do something special in high school. I want to be unknown in high school and maybe be rich and famous after college, maybe. I have a small circle of friends and I prefer having it that way. It’s not that no one wants to be my friend because I’m weird but it’s because I’m awkward with people, I don’t know how to express my feelings right nor find the right words to fit them.

“You have something on your face,” said by Jack as I walk down the hall
“Oh, mom’s lipstick. I didn’t expect that to be there.” I replied as Jack walks with me to my locker.

I opened my locker and a note dropped on the floor. “GO TO THE FOOTBALL FIELD AT 12,” it’s a bit odd to have a note like this. I never skipped class before and never went to the football field in midday. So I guess that’s another new thing I had to deal with. I went to my classes and was having thoughts about the note, skipping class, and my parents picking me up after school.

“Where are you,” a random text from a random number at 11:57
“I’ll be out in a minute,” which was totally a lie because what if I hate this person or worst case scenario, get killed.

I went down to the field at 12:05, I’m still nervous who this person is but it’s either I will regret something I never experienced or regret something for expecting something to happen. As I was getting closer to the field, I see Jess, a close friend of mine and Mav. I used to like her until I decided to focus on school stuff and I know for a fact that she doesn’t like me. She was talking to a guy who doesn’t go to our school, i don’t know what happened to him but I’m pretty sure that's not why Jess is here.

“Hey Jess! What’s up?” I shouted, I had to, I can’t keep her waiting under the sun because I know how she hates the sun.
“Hi Gab, I just want to talk to you,” at this point, my heart started to pound, my armpits got sweatier, and I came to realize that this is something different; five different things in one day is already odd for me, can this day get any better?
“It’s been awhile since I wanted to talk to you. Jack just told me to do it. I
can’t find the right words but I got the chance to write this poem:

You filed filled up the pieces
You gave me butterflies but not a kiss
I wish I could hold on to this
Maybe not forever but still feel the bliss
You will be there no matter what
  But I just want you to know that I love you a lot.”

I suddenly forgot how to speak, I forgot how to feel, I forgot how I feel. We just stood there and stared at each other, something I have never imagined I would do with Jess. We were closer than my sister and my family loves her.

“I don’t know what to say. You caught me off guard. There’s been too much happening
  today and I’m surprised about this.”
“I know, but can we just stay out here for awhile? I like to be alone with you too,
  you know?”

Too. There’s someone else? But I’m just a close friend to her, yes, she told me her feelings but I’ll just leave these thoughts behind. We talked to each other for hours, that was normal. As we talked for hours, we didn’t realize that school was over until my parents called me. My heart raced again, do I tell them about Jess or I’ll just let things happen?

She walked to the parking lot with me. We didn’t talk to each other as we were walking, that was a little bit different from our usual walks and this one was awkward. My mom saw us and she was smiling from cheek-to-cheek. My dad was kind of pissed because I kept them waiting but it’s not like I told them to pick me up from school.
“Hey Jess! How are you? How’s school? How’s your mom? Tell her I said hi,” a warm greeting by my mom
“Mom, Jess is not a computer. She can’t answer all of these questions at once,”
“Oh yeah, I’m sorry. Would you like to come with us?”
“Oh, no thanks. I’ve got stuff to do, maybe next time.”

Thank God she said no. The awkwardness couldn't get any better. So we said our goodbye’s and we just ate outside. Nothing really happened that night. Everything was pretty normal until my phone rang, 

“Yo, so what happened?!” Jack screamed on the phone and didn’t even let me say hi
“Hey, what do you mean?”
“I know about you and Jess,”
“Jess and I?”
“Yeah, earlier?” I was trying to forget about that but why wouldn’t I talk to Jack about it, right?
“Oh, well she told me she likes me”
“So??”
“What do you mean so?”
“Aren’t you going to do something?”
“Maybe. I still have to think about it.”

Jack hung up before I even answered his question. His mom sounded mad. I finished my homework and laid down. I started to ask myself, do I still have feelings for Jess? Do I still like her? Are we dating? Are we just friends? Am I going to do something? I fell asleep with all these thoughts and the morning after, I was to my daily routine, nothing different, nothing weird.

Jess and I were the only ones at our table since Jack decided not to show up to school. We were eating silently, like we’re in a library that we can’t make a sound until,

“So, about yesterday. I’m sorry I made you go through all of that, I didn’t mean to. But if
  you think were bet--” I stopped her before she even ended her sentence.
“I like you too. I just don’t know what to do now.”

The conversation ended there. She stood up and went straight to our classes. I regret saying that, I should’ve done something. I went home and did my homework until my mom opened the door and talked to someone. It was Jess. My mom let her in my room, that’s different.  Jess walked in the room and sat next to me. She didn’t say anything, it was just blank stares again. Then she got closer, and closer, and closer. Then we kissed.