What We Never Realized | Teen Ink

What We Never Realized

By Gideon GOLD, Harbeson, Delaware
Gideon GOLD, Harbeson, Delaware

"Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but because I knew you I have been changed for good." -Wicked, Broadway

She was doing it again. Freaking Jessica “always right” Holt was giving me s*** for whatever she decided was worth arguing- again. I just couldn’t stand that girl! “Why can’t this girl just grow up already?” I mumbled to myself.
“So, I just can’t stand it when, like, people act like they need to be in serious relationships right now!” Jessica was saying. “I mean, we’re in, like, 8th grade. And these idiots are going around and, like, acting like they are seriously in love with this person. That never, like, happens!”
I sighed. Every time, she dragged me into her rants like a sucker. I couldn’t just sit by and listen while she poisoned everyone’s minds with the crap she was spewing at the moment.
“Jessica, sometimes that’s true, but, we have to remember that not everyone is in the same situation right now. There may be people- some of the people that are dating seriously right now may have a difficult home life at the moment. Their parents may be divorcing or not pay enough attention to them. They might not feel loved, and an intimate relationship could give them that love. I’m just saying, you really don’t know. That person might date cause they think it’s cool, or there could be deeper reasons behind it. Just stop assuming.”
Jessica stared, wide eyed. “Well, then.” She mumbled. “You don’t have to get all sensitive about it.”
I swear, one day she is gonna make my head explode.
But, then. Why would she say something like that? Why would Jessica feel that way?
“Hey.”
Jessica turned to look at me. “What do you want?” she said, tiredly.
“Well, I was just wondering… why do you feel that way?”
“What way?” she snapped.
I sighed. “Why do you feel like people shouldn’t date seriously when they’re our age?” I said, harder than I intended.
Jessica turned away. “I don’t know, it’s just stupid. Happy? Just… just leave me alone.”
I bit my lip. Should I really ask her? Would she even give me a straight response?
Sucking in breath, I said, “But seriously. Why do you really feel that way?”
Silence. Did I really just say that?
Jessica hung her head. “My… mom dated a guy when she was our age. She got pregnant with me and now I messed up her life and she hates me and I guess I just deserve it cause if it weren’t for me she wouldn’t have to work 15 hours a day just to support ourselves and she wouldn’t have to be with my stepdad and he is really mean to her and it’s all my fault.”
“I’m sorry I put this weight on you.” She whispered, then burst into tears.
I put my head in my hands. I had known Jessica since 3rd grade and I never knew.
How could I have been so oblivious?