Outside | Teen Ink

Outside

By Sunchyn SILVER, Cedar Hills, Utah
Sunchyn SILVER, Cedar Hills, Utah

If Plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters! -Claire Cook

“Give it back!” Screamed Kelly as she chased after her best friend Alex. Alex turned her head and laughed, but did not stop running. Her ebony hair flew in the wind in front of Kelly, her blue eyes glowing. Her legs churned beneath her, trying to keep out of reach of Kelly’s grasp. Something shimmered in her hand as she danced in and out of the sunlight. Alex weaved around the tree’s that bordered the sidewalk, which led all the way back to Cherry Ridge High School.
Finally, Alex grew bored of the game and slowed as she reached the wall enclosing the back portion of the school. Her eyes caught on the dulled designs carved onto the bricks. Alex had never seen anything like them. The intricate patterns were mesmerizing.
Eventually, Kelly caught up with Alex. She stood behind her panting, head dropped, blonde hair down, ha
The silver rectangle snds on knees. If Alex noticed her, she didn’t acknowledge it. Her eyes stayed glued on the old bricks.
Noticing her reaction, Kelly walked all the way up to Alex.
“Are you okay?” She asked hesitantly. Alex nodded her head.
“Yeah, I’m fine.” Alex squirmed. “But, do you ever wonder what could be back there? Maybe it’s a whole other world! What if it had talking Hummingbirds? Imagine the possibilities!”
Kelly smiled.
“Can I have my phone back?”
“Oh! Yeah, sure.” Alex gave it up.
“Thanks.”
The two started walking back to their group.
“I thought you’d never catch her!” Commented Grace from where everyone was sitting. “Although… you almost had her down by the garbage can.”
Kelly scanned her surroundings quickly. After a minute, her brow furrowed.
“There is no garbage can.” She said confused. Alex chuckled.
“Bye guys, I’ve got to get ready for class.” Alex announced. There was a chorus of goodbyes as Alex left the tree where everyone was sitting.

In his defense, Ryan didn’t hear the bell until it was too late. He was joking around with his friends when he saw people scrambling around, books and binders in hand.
Uh-ohh. He thought. He dashed to his locker, hitting into people at every turn. When he reached his locke Ryan yanked the lock this way and that. Until he put in the wrong combo.
Anxious and frustrated, Ryan willed himself to go slower, gritting his teeth while doing so. After what seemed like hour, he opened his locker. Ryan seized the moment and quickly grabbed his folder. He had science next.
After grabbing his things, he slammed his locker shut and bolted down the halls. There was no one in sight. He picked up speed and felt his legs burning as he came to the hall where Mr. Cacol worked.
Just a few more feet! He encouraged himself. Then, there was a ring. A ring that echoed through the halls, indicating that class had started. And he was late.

“Again, Mr Jones?”
“Sorry.” Ryan grumbled to the head of the office. Today she was wearing her beloved too bright red lipstick with a plain white blouse. Her blonde hair fell around her shoulders, limp and lifeless.
“If this happens again, you know I’m going to have to give you detention. This is the fourth time this month!” She exclaimed in her screechy voice.
“I know.” He replied wearily. He took the yellow slip she was holding out to him and headed out of the office. Ryan sighed as he made his way back down to his science classroom. He was so close! If he had only had a few more seconds…
Ryan moaned when he reached his classroom. They were in the middle of a test! This was not going to be good. He sucked in a breath and pushed the door open. Several eyes gazed up at him, curious. He brushed past them and strode to Mr. Cacol’s desk.
Ryan thrust the now crumpled slip to him and was handed a test in return.
“Late again?” Joey, the boy sitting next to him, whispered. Ryan brushed the question aside and grabbed a pencil from his folder. He looked at the clock and realized he only had an hour to take the test.
To most people, that’s more than enough time. For Ryan, it took him twenty minutes to finish four questions. This test had eighty. He exhaled and opened his test. He read the first question and grumbled.
“What is Darwin's theory of the origin of species? Make sure to include when he began this theory. Write at least 4 sentences.”
Ryan started writing his answer and knew it was going to be another long class period.

When Ryan finally escaped the classroom, he was grateful for the fresh air. Being stuck in a classroom for an hour and a half with a bunch of high school kids was not his idea of a well spent hour.
As he walked down the hall, he saw many familiar faces. Some were his friends who called out to him. Others, kids who were in his classes. Finally he reached his locker. He grabbed his backpack and started outside. On his way to the bus, he saw Alex, from his English and Entrepreneurship classes. Her jet-black hair and blue eyes were beautiful.
“Hi Alex.” He don’t know why he said it, and he wished he hadn’t.
“Hey Ryan. How are you?” He grinned a little sheepishly.
“I’m good. You?”
“Better than ever.” She smiled at him, and Ryan felt the breath leave him. They stood there awkwardly for a minute.
Alex broke the silence. “Well, I gotta go, I don’t want to miss my bus.”
“Okay, bye.” Ryan said lamely. He watched her back as she walked away. Some lyrics from his mom’s favorite song came to mind.

Now I’m fallin’ in love as she’s walkin’ away
And my heart won’t tell my mind
to tell my mouth what it should say
I may have lost this battle
Live to fight another day

Maybe next time. He thought. Ryan sighed and turned the other direction, late for his bus.