The Dime | Teen Ink

The Dime

By Sunchyn SILVER, Cedar Hills, Utah
Sunchyn SILVER, Cedar Hills, Utah

If Plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters! -Claire Cook

Dimes are like lucky pennies, they just have ten times the luck. And on Thursday after school I got really lucky. And all it took was a dime.
My science teacher droned on and on about genetic materials and chromosomes. I could not be less interested. My eyelids started to droop right as the bell rang. I sighed inwardly with relief.
“Wait!” Called Mrs. Fores in her screechy voice, “Don’t forget to write your essay on the genetic material of a duck! They will be do next class period!”
I tried not to smile as I walk out of the classroom. Mrs. Fores always came up with wacky tasks for us to do. Last week, we had to make a salt and pepper shaker out of marshmallows. I had brought it home to show my parents. We used them that night for dinner. Not the best idea.  Before that we had to do a class presentation on how earth's density had helped the Greek hero Hercules. I made up most of it. And the time before that… Well, you get the idea.
I rushed to my locker, my amber hair flying everywhere. When I reached my locker I grasped the handle and kicked it hard. Maybe to hard. It swung open and hit the locker next to me. Before I could do anything, it swung back closed again.
My foot throbbing from kicking it so hard, I opened my locker again. This time slower. When it opened, I grabbed my backpack, shoved my binders in, and sprinted to the front of the school. I flew through doors, skidded around corners, and slid down halls. When I got outside, my bus was just leaving.
I raced along the sidewalk waving my arms and shouting. Walter, my bus driver, looked behind him and smiled. He slowed the bus to a stop and opened the doors for me. He pulled down his favorite sunglasses and looked at me quizzically.
Grinning, he said to me, “Lucie, you need to be prepared. That’s the second time this week.”
I smiled back at him and answered my usual statement, “Sorry, I promise I’ll try harder tomorrow.” He sighed and gave his half chuckle.
I made my way down the aisle bumping into people legs and instruments. I got several evil glares. But, hey, it wasn’t my fault they were there for everyone to run into.
I stuck my hand in my pocket and clutched the dime in there. It had brought me good luck before, and hopefully today was no exception. I looked farther down the long bus and spotted a seat open. Well, partially. There was a guy sitting in the seat, but he was only taking up half of it, and sitting by him wasn’t as bad as sitting on the floor.
Finally, I reached the seat, “Can I sit here?” I heard myself say. The guy I had asked had dark crimson hair with emerald green eyes. His smile was perfect as he gazed up at me.
“Of course.” He answered simply.
I got myself situated and pulled my book from my backpack. The ginger haired guy who was sitting next to me saw what book I had pulled out.
“That’s a good book.” He said.
I smiled, “You’ve read it?”
“Who hasn’t?” He answered.
“Apparently me.” He laugh was toxic. I started giggling with him. I realized my hand had still been in my pocket, but wasn’t grasped around the dime any more. I pulled it out and laid it on my lap.
As we got further in depth with our conversation, I learned his name was Aden. I fit him nicely.
“So, what do they call you?” He asked kindly.
“I’m Lucie.” I answered back. The bus to a halting stop and I looked out the window. We were in a small neighborhood, with little kids milling about everywhere. One girl caught my eye. She had auburn hair and bright blue eyes. Her dark pink dress was flowing behind her in the breeze. I guessed she was around six years old.
Aden stood.
“Well, this is my stop.” He moved into the aisle and looked down at me. “See you tomorrow, Lucie.”
My heart skipped a beat at his perfect smile aimed at me. I managed to smile back. “Bye.” I answered lamely.
I watched out the window as Aden got off the bus. Two little kids came rushing up to him calling his name. One of them was the girl in the pink dress. He smiled genuinely at them as he picked up the smaller one and carried him to what I guessed was his house.
The bus pulled away and he went out of my sight. I grabbed the dime out of my pocket. I really did have a lucky dime.