Gone. | Teen Ink

Gone.

By Schuyler White BRONZE, Tampa, Florida
Schuyler White BRONZE, Tampa, Florida

She was just walking downtown, got into a taxi and drove off, thats it, gone. No one but the taxi driver knowing where she was. But, I know. I know exactly where she is, what store she goes to for groceries and clothes. How every first Monday of the month she gets her car washed at the same place. I know her past, what happened, and why she "vanished", but really she didn't vanish she just out smarted everyone around her. Its simple, she left for several months, went to Canada north enough news didn't reach that she was the missing girl, then once everything cooled down she moved back into the states, just a few miles away from where it all happened. Everyone was so frazzled and disoriented they didn't even think for look to the obvious, the place she talked about, dreamed about, and spent so much time at. She knew that would happen and that she wouldn't be found there. I mean its not like she doesn't go out in public she is just careful, watchful, and quiet. She doesn't talk to anyone or bother them. The only problem was that everyone outside of that town was looking for her.
She was hurt. Not physical, but mentally hurt. She was not only hurt, but scared, very scared. She was scared of her future,  what would happen next, and when she would all fall apart. So many things went wrong all at once, the pain was overwhelming. She didn't lose everything, but quite a lot will be lost, broken and shattered.

You wanna hear what happens? Her mom was diagnosed with cancer, her father ran away because didn't know how to love someone who he knew would die her best friend moved, Grandma died, and her dog ran away after her hamster died. She was a high school senior when it all happened. Those things didn't change her attitude, she worked harder, got into college and majored in business. She had a set plan to graduate college, get a job, pay for chemo, get an apartment, and do her best to move on. She had to have that mindset or she would collapse and break apart. Ya..... That didn't work. She did do well in college, got a job and worked extremely hard. Then her mom died. It was a lot harder than she thought. She realized no one else was there to support her. She was on her own. That thought kicked in one night several days after her moms death. No one knew about the death so no family was around. They were all in Florida enjoying the stupid lovely beach without them because her dad wouldn't move. Well he eventually did out of fear. So he just left Chelsea by her self.

Then the thought came, why not run away? It was simple, no one knew who she was, so she thought. But many people cared, especially me. Her co-workers, boss, teachers and clients cared, but her smile was just a cover up for pain. So, she ran away. Just simply vanished. I should have reached out, but I didn't. I should have spoken to her, but I didn't. I felt guilty so I went and looked for her. The people she thought didn't care, freaked out! They filed missing reports, made phone calls, and worried. The news broke spread that she was gone, and her small town took notice of her. She didn't know they cared until one day on the news she saw herself "missing" "vanished" and, "no one knows what happened or where she is."

"What the heck have I done!" She said aloud, "I have scared and hurt people, just like my dad did to me."

The thought saddened her, she ran away, no going back.

"Am I going to be ok? I have no job, crap, I'm poor. Ahh! Why did I do this? Well... Too late, I have to find a way"  she thought to her self.

"First, where am I Ok I'm in my house. Well I have a house. Thats a start! Lets get a job! Something quiet and not really important. I'll work for a bank! Ill be a teller. Business school taught me how to work with money, how hard can it be?

"Hello? Yes, I would like to apply for a job. Is there an opening for teller?   

"Yes ma'am, your in luck, applications in by next Monday and we will contact you when your interview is."

"Ok, thank you so much!"

"Great, now I have to wait. Waiting... Well, I can get the application. Ok, now wheres the car keys? Oh, and I need my wallet and jacket. In the front room, I think thats where I left them. Yup! On the dresser and beside the empty vase, geez I need to decorate. Now to the car. My moms old car with a new license plate.  Such a simple change and thats one of the major things that kept people from recognizing me. Like really! Im literally just out side of the city I used to live in, but no one cares. So, hey! Thats why I left.
I was standing in my living room, keys in hand, staring out the window. The window of my grandmothers old house. Well, sort of. It was bought by a realtor fifteen years ago. And several weeks after I ran away I called saying it was in her will to give it to me. And, I got it. The old house that I love and have so many memories at. This place helps a lot more than you think.

So, there I was driving down the small street towards the bank. I turned my turn signal on to turn right into the bank parking lot. I look to my left to see the old church me and my grandma went to when I would spend a week there. It was a cute little church. Brick walls, white roof, and a wooden cross at the top. My eyes teary from the memory, I turned right, and into a car. Well that cant be right, I'm not in the parking lot. Well! There is blood dripping on my hand from my head. Geez, that hurt! 

I saw on the news, a crash victim almost dead, I knew it was her. So I drove to the hospital. She was rushed to the hospital immediately. In ICU for two months, major brain damage and rib cage broken. Before she was put in a coma, I let her know I cared for her and I was sorry she was hurt. I told her that I was sorry for leaving when we were younger and that her brown haired, blue eyed, brother loved her.

Im still sorry I never went to her earlier. The last words she heard were mine. She never woke up.